• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Ricky Ponting! Stop with this crap!

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Frankly, the Australian selectors have been making quite a few uncustomary baffling selectionss of late. They dropped Kaspar, averaging 16 in ODIs and 22 in tests since his International return, brought in Shane Watson, who is a 'superstar all-rounder' only in the selectors' eyes. Besides this, Trevor Hornes and company still continue to pick up Boof over poor Katich, and so on. They are now even talking about recalling Bung for tests for Ashes, just cause he took some one day wickets against clueless Paksters, which is being attributed to his, sudden finding of 'form' by his sponsors and media backers. It would be a shame if Bung was selected ahead of Kaspar as a third seamer as he will continue to be rat ****e in tests!

As for Punter, I reserve my judjement, but would like to add, there is a reason he is called Captain Drunk these days!

:blink:

Vikas Bhatt

And now Captain Drunk, reneges on his contract obligations and snubs his state team for a very important game, [perhaps their most important in 18 years now] in their domestic season.

Ponting gives Tigers the punt
By Brett Stubbs
February 9, 2005

AUSTRALIAN and Tasmanian captain Ricky Ponting has pulled out of the Tigers' most crucial one-day fixture in 18 years.

With nearly all his national teammates lining up for their states this weekend, Ponting has withdrawn from the Tigers' clash with South Australia in Adelaide on Saturday.

The Tasmanian Cricket Association was last night frantically trying to change his mind and would not comment or name a team until this morning.

Ponting's Australian teammates Darren Lehmann and Jason Gillespie will play for South Australia in Saturday's game against the Tigers.

Second-placed Tasmania is battling Victoria for a spot in the ING Cup final against Queensland.

The Tigers have 24 points, one more than the Bushrangers, who play New South Wales at the SCG on Sunday.

Australia players were given the option of resting or being available for their states in the final round of domestic one-day games ahead of Australia's tour of New Zealand starting February 17.

:@

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vikas Bhatt said:
And now Captain Drunk, reneges on his contract obligations and snubs his state team for a very important game, [perhaps their most important in 18 years now] in their domestic season.

Ponting gives Tigers the punt
By Brett Stubbs
February 9, 2005

AUSTRALIAN and Tasmanian captain Ricky Ponting has pulled out of the Tigers' most crucial one-day fixture in 18 years.

With nearly all his national teammates lining up for their states this weekend, Ponting has withdrawn from the Tigers' clash with South Australia in Adelaide on Saturday.

The Tasmanian Cricket Association was last night frantically trying to change his mind and would not comment or name a team until this morning.

Ponting's Australian teammates Darren Lehmann and Jason Gillespie will play for South Australia in Saturday's game against the Tigers.

Second-placed Tasmania is battling Victoria for a spot in the ING Cup final against Queensland.

The Tigers have 24 points, one more than the Bushrangers, who play New South Wales at the SCG on Sunday.

Australia players were given the option of resting or being available for their states in the final round of domestic one-day games ahead of Australia's tour of New Zealand starting February 17.

:@
Yeah, maybe he wanted to spend some time with his wife. From what I understand he lives in Sydney now, not Tasmania. He's not the only one who's pulled out is he?

Oh, and I think the incident you're referring to with the 'Captain Drunk' thing happened years ago....time to move on.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Yeah, maybe he wanted to spend some time with his wife. From what I understand he lives in Sydney now, not Tasmania. He's not the only one who's pulled out is he?

Oh, and I think the incident you're referring to with the 'Captain Drunk' thing happened years ago....time to move on.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. It was what, early 90s? Give it a rest.

Vikas Bhatt

Son Of Coco said:

Problem with Punter is his family 'obligations' always override his duties as Captain of Tasmania. The last time his team needed him, he went off for his wife's Graduation Day.

Maybe it is better for his team as in his last few domestic matches he hasn't done much anyways. But the point is he is a Captain of his state team, and contracted for playing important matches and he is not always there playing when he is playing International matches, so when his team needs him in a do or die match to make it to a trophy final, and he is available, he should give it some priority!

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is that as far as I understand the system, Ponting doesn't have a contract with Cricket Tasmania and is therefore not contractually obliged to play for them.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Vikas Bhatt said:
Problem with Punter is his family 'obligations' always override his duties as Captain of Tasmania. The last time his team needed him, he went of for his wife's Graduation Day.
Which is admirable, because family should always come first.

As you said, he hasn't done much the last couple of times he's played for TAS, and the Tigers have done pretty well this season in the ING without him. They're probably better off without having someone come in and disrupt an established side.

Scallywag

Banned
Vikas Bhatt said:
As for Punter, I reserve my judjement, but would like to add, there is a reason he is called Captain Drunk these days!

:blink:
Yes and we all know the reason: Because some people harp on and on about things that happened years ago whenever they get the chance. :D