• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you don't want to see in your side's XI

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the hell are you on about, the idea that we can afford to discard Starc entirely with the red ball is frankly moronic. I too have been frustrated with his inconsistent form at times, but no way in hell does it warrant something so catastrophically stupid as dropping him completely.

The sort of analysis I would expect from your average facebook casual fan. Impulsive garbage.
Who pissed in your corn flakes this lovely Saturday morning

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Marnus Labuschagne.

Div 2 county runs are okay - but needs to bang the door down for Queensland for at least two seasons before he gets another berth. Not fit to tie Kurtis Patterson's shoelaces.

the big bambino

International Captain
Who pissed in your corn flakes this lovely Saturday morning
Not Mitch Starc that’s for sure. Still, yours is a big call and it surprised me too. What is your objection to Starc? Admittedly Australia has alternatives but Starc is one of our more resilient bowlers and that fact alone should always get him games. Even if you imagine all of our top five being fit (I wish) Starc would still get in imo.

I think Starc would be even more effective if we had a good no. 5 bowler like Watson. So if you are marking him down for his inconsistency I think this reason could be a part of the explanation?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Marnus Labuschagne.

Div 2 county runs are okay - but needs to bang the door down for Queensland for at least two seasons before he gets another berth. Not fit to tie Kurtis Patterson's shoelaces.
My gut agrees with this (and I am a massive fan of Patterson) but it's hard to argue with an incumbent who has made a ton of runs in Eng conditions. Also got a feeling Labuschange has a bit of the Langer personality going which wont do him any harm.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Test matches of course

Pucovski - still too young, needs another season of shield cricket
Mitch Marsh - not good enough with either bat or ball
Shaun Marsh - Not good enough, had too many chances.
Peter Siddle - there are a too many better options for him to play again
Holland - while probably the second best spinner I do not want him to play
What about in ODIs and T20Is?

Flem274*

123/5
even as someone who thinks lies, damned lies and statistics when it comes to starcs good stats compared to what he sends down quite often, you don't forever discard someone who swings it at serious pace.

anyway all these young gun bowlers being on the cusp of 30 all of a sudden makes me feel old. will just have a google now and jfc he's got 50 tests on him. bloke should be hitting his prime.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You should be begging for Starc to play with the red-ball in England. He'll barely move it and he'll make Mitchell Johnson look accurate. Only danger is cleaning up the tail.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do you think I said I don't want him jettisoned for a few months. Him or Pattinson, no contest who i'd rather see us facing.

mr_mister

Nothing personal, I just think you are utterly and comprehensively wrong on this one. TJB said something similar a while back and I thought it was absolute nonsense back then as well
I didn't know this meant I was permanently black listing him from the side, I just don't want to see him in our test XI

Because I don't consider him to be one of our top 3 red ball pace bowlers. Not too extreme a POV surely

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely fast left armers don't come along often, it is utter madness to suggest we don't have any use for him with the red ball. I'm not saying he's a lock for the first test, if Patto is fit Starc may miss out, but I would never even remotely contemplate picking guys of the Bird/Neser/Tremain tier ahead of him, not even for a split second

mr_mister

Genuinely fast left armers don't come along often, it is utter madness to suggest we don't have any use for him with the red ball. I'm not saying he's a lock for the first test, if Patto is fit Starc may miss out, but I would never even remotely contemplate picking guys of the Bird/Neser/Tremain tier ahead of him, not even for a split second
I don't have to consider him below Neser to not want him in the test XI lol

I want Hazelwood, Cummins, Patto and Lyon. I'm aware Pattos fitness is a concern. There was no need for your tongue lashing though

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
We have 4 or 5 test class fast bowlers imo, and it's practically a given at least one will be injured at any point in time. Then we start getting in to the medium-fast domestic bowlers who are solid that really nothing spectacular. Starc not in the starting XI is not unreasonable at all, Starc not in the squad at all is bat**** crazy

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Starc is in the Ashes squad if fit, but the first test XI is a different matter. Cummins is a certainty, but I think it could be any two of Starc, Pattinson, Hazlewood or Richardson depending on fitness and what they do in the Australian A England Lions and Australians Australia A matches.