• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's Vaas and Murli show because a Lara in his form of his life was not even ood enough to change the drubbing that his side has got. Put any side against Vaas and Murali on that series, and even the greatest of sides would need to fight out of their skins to save that series.. And how common for two bowlers to take 26 and 24 wickets in one series which was played on "flat" tracks?
2001-02 West Indies tour of Sri Lanka.

Official Player of the series: Brian Lara.

Do you realize how ironic it is that you're downplaying Lara's performances there for the exact same reason that people downplay Sri Lankan players all the time?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanga and KP both got out to Ryder two days back. So they're both ****s. However, Sanga is a **** with with 20 more runs than KP, and that is just what this whole thing comes down to really.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get it. Migara's arguing that they weren't flat tracks which is why he uses the quotation marks around flat in every single post. Doesn't that make Lara's performance even better and Murali's/Vaas' less so since they bowled on wickets with something in them?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't care

Who you areee

Where you're from

Don't care what you did yeeahh

As long as you love me babeh

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The series of Lara was infact great. There's no belittlin it. But it was not series defining as somebody pointed as \sanga has not managed to do against some teams. Lara series is a good example to show what load of rubbish is a series defining knock is. Sana's 192 in Hobart as good as any innings Lara played during that SL series. Either accept that even the greatest have some massive gaps when it comes to producing series defining knocks, or the concept is useless. Sanga failed to do it in some countries, so did Tendulkar, Lara and Pontin and so would have been Bradman if his opposition would have been more numerous.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
The series of Lara was infact great. There's no belittlin it. But it was not series defining as somebody pointed as \sanga has not managed to do against some teams. Lara series is a good example to show what load of rubbish is a series defining knock is. Sana's 192 in Hobart as good as any innings Lara played during that SL series. Either accept that even the greatest have some massive gaps when it comes to producing series defining knocks, or the concept is useless. Sanga failed to do it in some countries, so did Tendulkar, Lara and Pontin and so would have been Bradman if his opposition would have been more numerous.
So what would life be like if World War 1 never happened? In fact what even suggests that it would have been much different considering evidence suggests your average against the best team of your era is not that far away from where your career average ends up, no matter how many opposition you play?

In fact, this has to be bait to derail the thread so don't even respond. Judging from the posting pattern, I have a feeling I know what are the Bradman is overrated excuse you have line in anyways.

I'm still laughing at the idea that someone seriously thinks that Lara's fighting 74 and 45 in the 2nd test that series in a pitch no team looked like they were going to get to 300 is in some ways comparable to 192 in a pitch were the great Murali and co. conceded a total of 752 (opposition having declared TWICE) and having a combined 7 wickets to show for it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought SRT fanatics were pretty gross. That's till I came across Bradman fanatics.

The whole point is that series defining performances are very rare and some times are due to exceptional circumstances. Greatest of bowlers and batsmen don't have a complete record with regards to suck knocks. Laras 74 and 75 didn't happen on SL soil, and the point is moot. Lara don't have a single series defining knock in SL and IND and can't recall any in Pakistan (I may be proven wrong here). SRT don't have in SL, AUS, SAF and PAK. Ponting has none in IND. But they are regarded as greats. Arguing against Sanga's greatness citing he has no such knocks in "condition X" is double standards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
They are a similar set of followers as SRT fanatics, the omnipotent being Bradman instead of Sachin.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still laughing at the idea that someone seriously thinks that Lara's fighting 74 and 45 in the 2nd test that series in a pitch no team looked like they were going to get to 300 is in some ways comparable to 192 in a pitch were the great Murali and co. conceded a total of 752 (opposition having declared TWICE) and having a combined 7 wickets to show for it.
This is rather disingenuous, batsmen from opposing teams play on the same pitch but they don't face the same bowlers

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
This is rather disingenuous, batsmen from opposing teams play on the same pitch but they don't face the same bowlers
If we there going there, In what universe was Sri Lanka facing an ATG bowling line up against Lara and co. in 2001?

I doesn't matter how great your bowling line up is, roads like one in Hobart is extremely difficult to be successful in for every bowler. Don't even know why I keep having to resort to these extremely obvious posts everybody should be aware of anyways.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
But that completely ignores the pressure created by the huge fourth innings target they were chasing, and the fact that the team was falling apart around him, that's what made it an amazing innings