• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Buttler (limited overs)

Better limited overs player

• Buttler

• Pietersen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack1

International Debutant
I'd have Buttler and Root ahead of KP.
Root is not in the same league as Buttler and Pietersen in limited overs.

not even close tbh

buttler is one of the all time white ball greats.
Clearly it is close. Pietersen is one of the all time WB greats too.. It is all about how to compare eras. We have this problem with specifically Bevan and Gilchrist in ODIs vs some current players with monster stats.

Buttler and it's not close, and even if you included Tests I'd have to think about it
Seems to be a habit on here of exaggeration. With Tests I would say Pietersen without batting an eye lid. Pietersen is universes clear of Buttler in Tests.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morgan, Root, Flintoff comes above KP for me, maybe even Swann, which I'm sure wouldn't be controversial.....

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not even close. Butler by the length of the Flemington straight. (Note to self: check if Melbourne Cup is on today during covid).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Buttler is a T20 freak and probably the 3rd best ever ODI keeper batter to have played the game behind two of the biggest legends in Gilchrist and Dhoni. Buttler is that good. KP was a good international odi player who was v good at T20s.

Jack1

International Debutant
Buttler is a T20 freak and probably the 3rd best ever ODI keeper batter to have played the game behind two of the biggest legends in Gilchrist and Dhoni. Buttler is that good. KP was a good international odi player who was v good at T20s.
Pietersen has a higher average and strike rate than Buttler's current stats (T20I, even after today's knock). Teams score quicker now and get flatter pitches overall too (both formats). Pietersen was man of the tournament in T20I CWC 2010 when England won their only T20I CWC title. Then you have to gauge their different roles in ODIs plus the fact that scoring fast is much easier in this era due to some variables, plus Buttler playing in a completely stacked ODI team. I don't consider it particularly easy to separate them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pietersen has a higher average and strike rate than Buttler's current stats (T20I, even after today's knock). Teams score quicker now and get flatter pitches overall too (both formats). Pietersen was man of the tournament in T20I CWC 2010 when England won their only T20I CWC title. Then you have to gauge their different roles in ODIs plus the fact that scoring fast is much easier in this era due to some variables, plus Buttler playing in a completely stacked ODI team. I don't consider it particularly easy to separate them.
I don't know if this is true actually. KP's career was in the middle of a pretty high-scoring ODI era and if anything T20I scores seemed to be higher back then too, personally I think bowlers hadn't figured it out yet

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
I'd take Buttler, batting at no. 6 in odis is way more difficult and there aren't many greats who can take do what Buttler does.
Maybe Symonds but no one else.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Buttler. He's a monster. Even Pietersen at his best was prone to throw it away due to a brain fade - Buttler's mentality is elite

loterry1994

International Debutant
Butler easily ever since England got hammered and humbled in the 2015 world cup. Then England change their approach to the shorter formats and became a dominant team in them and Butler has probably been the main man making England the team they are today.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if this is true actually. KP's career was in the middle of a pretty high-scoring ODI era and if anything T20I scores seemed to be higher back then too, personally I think bowlers hadn't figured it out yet
RPOs seemed to be a bit lower back then

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the years with world cups are all in the bottom half.

1636299334379.png

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pietersen for me underwhelmed in ODIs from about 08/09 onwards. I’ve not looked up stats to see if they back up my memory there and no doubt he was hamstrung by various factors, including us being behind the 8 ball in ODIs, a lack of other effective batsmen in the side, etc etc. But nonetheless he didn’t achieve what he should have in the format IMO.

t20 he was an absolute gun though, but so is Jos.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah he was really pretty bad for a large part of his ODi career. Was great at the start of course.