• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your AT Aus WC XI

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Waugh
Jones
Bevan
O'Donnell
Warne
Starc
McDermott
McGrath

vcs

Swap Tait and Hogg in the 2007 team for Lee and Warne respectively. Maybe Starc gets in ahead of Bracken, but Bracken was also very good.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swap Tait and Hogg in the 2007 team for Lee and Warne respectively. Maybe Starc gets in ahead of Bracken, but Bracken was also very good.
Lee and Starc in the same side? That could go very wrong. I'd take Starc over Lee and keep Bracken and McGrath myself.

That 07 side was just so brilliant wasn't it? No weaknesses whatsoever. And Tait, who should have been the weakest link turned out to be a beast. Hussey was a passenger, but only because he was never actually needed.

Burgey

Boon
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
S Waugh
Warne
Starc
Bracken
McGrath

vcs

Lee and Starc in the same side? That could go very wrong. I'd take Starc over Lee and keep Bracken and McGrath myself.

That 07 side was just so brilliant wasn't it? No weaknesses whatsoever. And Tait, who should have been the weakest link turned out to be a beast. Hussey was a passenger, but only because he was never actually needed.
Lee is still well ahead of Starc for me because of longevity. It feels as if Starc's barely played an ODI since the 2015 WC.

stephen

Lee is still well ahead of Starc for me because of longevity. It feels as if Starc's barely played an ODI since the 2015 WC.
Fair enough. Starc still doesn't have a huge number of caps, despite being the first choice quick for the Aus ODI XI. In spite of this he's done more than Lee in World Cups.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MWaugh
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
SWaugh
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lee
McGrath

Burgey

Lee is now unavailable for selection, owing to his filming an infomercial for Tony Abbott.

mr_mister

Almost any combination of players from the 99/03/07 cups. Especially the finalised XIs that played in the finals

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MWaugh
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
SWaugh
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lee
McGrath
The fielding in these Aust sides. Outstanding. MWaugh, SWaugh, Ponting, Clarke and Symonds were all pure elite, and Lee, McGrath and Starc are all solid on the boundary with great arms. Warne and Watto were adequate enough to take slips while the others patrol the inner ring.

stephen

The fielding in these Aust sides. Outstanding. MWaugh, SWaugh, Ponting, Clarke and Symonds were all pure elite, and Lee, McGrath and Starc are all solid on the boundary with great arms. Warne and Watto were adequate enough to take slips while the others patrol the inner ring.
And who can forget Watson's run out of de Villiers from the boundary in the 07 WC.

Spikey

based on WC performances, which I think was the purpose:

Gilchrist
MWaugh
Ponting
Clarke
SWaugh
Bevan
Symonds
Lee
Warne
Starc
McGrath

Waugh/Hayden is basically personal preference. other Waugh is picked over Watson based on bowling - Watson averaged over 60 with the ball in WCs, SWaugh a tick over 30. Bevan is maybe a bit lucky, but he does have 4 quintessential Bevan performances in WCs (vs WI 96, vs SA 99, vs Eng 03 and vs NZ 03, the first two being in semi finals. shout out to Bichel for those last two). Clarke's record is better than I recalled, you could probably swap him and SWaugh around.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Steve Waugh's WC record is far better than his mere ODI record

From his standout death bowling in '87 to the 120* in '99(in fact his entire '99 campaign he shone with the bat) I feel he's def a better option than Clarke