• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steulen said:
(yes, they'll make him open because there's no way they're going to leave any of Kallis, Dravid and Lara out of the middle order and as said above he will play)
Kind of makes it a farce then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So why bother even naming a 30 then?!
If you are asking me, I already said its a ridiculous idea.

If you are asking the ICC, its futile. You know it.

biased indian

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Not really. It would mean more English players in the squad but I doubt Sangakarra or Boucher would face competition from the English keeper, Sehwag would face no competition from Trescothic.

Also if England play Australia in a one off test in Australia, the conservatives who are already crying over the Super Series happening and being test status, will start shouting as to how the ashes are now being undermined by 6 day tests :D
i said it as a joke man :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Why not Gayle?
Because there's about half a dozen better openers in the world, and 20 odd batsmen. I'd take any of Sehwag, Struass, Trescothick, Smith, De Villiers, Jayasuria or Gibbs opening ahead of Gayle, easily. This is of course in tests, Gayle with his bowling is a far better ODI player.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
How come NZ have been so roundly ignored? They are arguably the 2nd best ODI team in the world.
Probably the mentality that NZ have no good players and only win games through team spirit.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Don't be silly. He's come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months and is Pakistan's best pace option currently.

LongHopCassidy said:
Don't be silly. He's come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months and is Pakistan's best pace option currently.
We care talking about test matches dude!! what has the guy done in test matches? all the talk is done by the batter facing him, the guy just get pasted in every match , that has been his only achievement!

tooextracool

International Coach
vandemataram said:
We care talking about test matches dude!! what has the guy done in test matches? all the talk is done by the batter facing him, the guy just get pasted in every match , that has been his only achievement!
thats because hes one of the most inaccurate bowlers around, not because hes short of talent. hes been pasted in ODIs too, except that hes also managed to pick up wickets.

tooextracool said:
thats because hes one of the most inaccurate bowlers around, not because hes short of talent. hes been pasted in ODIs too, except that hes also managed to pick up wickets.

I think he's rubbish. The sad thing is that the guy won't be playing for his own team in 3 months time when Gul , Sami and Shabbir will be fit and will be in the side , yet the guy has somehow made it to World Squad!!

tooextracool

International Coach
vandemataram said:
I think he's rubbish. The sad thing is that the guy won't be playing for his own team in 3 months time when Gul , Sami and Shabbir will be fit and will be in the side , yet the guy has somehow made it to World Squad!!
i dont think hes rubbish, i think he has a lot of potential. and he showed that in glimpses during the ODI series in australia. no he doesnt deserve to make the World squad, but you know that selectors tend to emphasise on hype instead of performance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can only assume Cairns announced himself unavailable to the selectors. Otherwise I can't work it out. Surely he is a absolute no-brainer for the oneday side. Did they not watch the Tsunami match in Melbourne ?? Cairns from memory struck 69 off 37 balls and took the early wicket of Jayasuria and bowled tightly.

Overall New Zealand are really badly represented given they are 3rd ranked oneday side and have only been troubled by Australia in recent times.

At the same time I think Mccullum was a little lucky to be there with Cairns, Oram and Fleming the unlucky ones.

amiller

Cricket Spectator
zinzan12 said:
Overall New Zealand are really badly represented given they are 3rd ranked oneday side and have only been troubled by Australia in recent times.
That's the thing. The form they displayed against Australia could have been a deciding factor.

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
tooextracool said:
err you can basically guarantee that anyone english player that isnt in the squad that has a great ashes series will get picked.
err. Not really mate. Who in the English middle-order is going to supplant Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis? Let's be realistic, nobody will. Furthermore, Giles will not get in front of Murali or Kumble. As for the quicks, Hoggard will not be picked - regardless of how well he does in England - because of how he performed out here in Australia last time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jamee999 said:
A Strauss-Eng
G Smith-SA
V Sehwag-Ind
M Trescothick-Eng
B Lara-WI
S Tendulkar-Ind
R Dravid-Ind
M Vaughan-Eng
Inzamam-ul-haq-Pak
H Gibbs-SA
N Astle-NZ
R Sarwan-WI
K Sangakarra-SL
AB DeVilliers-SA
M Boucher-SA
A Flintoff-Eng
J Kallis-SA
S Jayasuria-SL
S Afridi-Pak
C Gayle-WI
A Razzaq-Pak
S Akhtar-Pak
S Pollock-SA
S Harmison-Eng
I Pathan-Ind
M Ntini-SA
M Muralitharan-SL
A Giles-Eng
D Vettori-NZ
A Kumble-Ind

EnglandGiles,Harmison,Flintoff,Vaughan,Trescothick,Strauss (6)
IndiaKumble,Pathan,Dravid,Tendulkar,Sehwag (5)
New ZealandVettori,Astle (2)
PakistanAkhtar,Razzaq,Afridi,Inzamam (4)
Sri LankaMuralitharan,Jayasuria,Sangakarra (3)
South AfricaNtini,Pollock,Boucher,De Villiers, Kallis,Gibbs,Smith(7)
West Indies Gayle,Sarwan,Lara (3)
7 players from RSA..... When exactly did they become a great side? I don't remember too many of their guys performing well against Australia too much.

tooextracool

International Coach
blockbuster said:
err. Not really mate. Who in the English middle-order is going to supplant Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis? Let's be realistic, nobody will. Furthermore, Giles will not get in front of Murali or Kumble. As for the quicks, Hoggard will not be picked - regardless of how well he does in England - because of how he performed out here in Australia last time.
and what if bell scores big runs against australia? or pieterson blasts the aussies all over the park in tests?
and to put tendulkar down as a certainity is a joke, given what hes achieved recently.
i do however agree with you about hoggard, i dont see hi doing well in australia. but i think the selectors arent smart enough to figure that out. so if hoggard has a blast, you can almost guarantee that hed make the test side.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
7 players from RSA..... When exactly did they become a great side? I don't remember too many of their guys performing well against Australia too much.
for me pollock isnt going to succeed in australia, i know the selectors wont figure that out, but its not worth having him in the side. ntini is off color far too often away from home to be included. the 4 players who IMO should be good enought are nel, ABD, boucher, kallis and perhaps to an extent smith.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Boucher?????? na sorry Tooextracool i doubt very much that Boucher would be able to make it in Australia. His record isnt too flash and there are better keepers in the squad combined with batting talent which would force Boucher not to be selected. Sangakarra for me as the keeper not Boucher, who is not a good enough player imo to be selected