• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Two Openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Pick two openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Players, and as Phoenix said, excluding Bradman....and Sobers
Hard to limit it to three TBH. I'll do top five (in no particular order).

• Hobbs
  • Headley
  • Hammond
  • Trueman
  • Barnes

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:

• Hobbs
  • Headley
  • Hammond
  • Trueman
  • Barnes
Damm, I should have said post 46 to nail you down on your selections :)

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
Actually, I don't think he was close even though baga some how got him in as 12th man by not running a poll 8-)
ha ha. it was a mistake. my apologies!

i think these three teams are enough to choose the best XI of the post war era. lets forget the wild cards. personally i would love to see benaud, compton, border etc in contention. but they will certainly lose to better players. so lets not even go there.

i would obviously go for sir leonard hutton and sunil gavaskar as openers. barring hobbs, these two would open any all time xi.

archie mac

International Coach
I will go with the Don and choose Morris, I like the idea of the left-right hand. Although that seems to have changed these days

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:

• Hobbs
  • Headley
  • Hammond
  • Trueman
  • Barnes
No Trumper? :p ;)

Seriously though - no Miller? Obviously I'd have him there, but even for you I thought he might rank above at least a couple of those blokes.

bagapath

International Captain
Originally Posted by aussie tragic
Yeah but that's because you're obviously biased towards current players since you rate GM # 1

btw, what are your best three players that played before 1960?

i know you didnt ask me. but here is my top 5 cricketers pre 1960 excluding bradman and sobers.

hobbs
hammond
oreilly
miller
trumper

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
No Trumper? :p ;)

Seriously though - no Miller? Obviously I'd have him there, but even for you I thought he might rank above at least a couple of those blokes.
Nope, no Miller. Hammond, Hobbs, Barnes, Trueman and Headley may all make my all time XI. Miller probably wouldn't.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Nope, no Miller. Hammond, Hobbs, Barnes, Trueman and Headley may all make my all time XI. Miller probably wouldn't.
Fair enough mate. Though with Bradman and Sobers both givens, and I assume you'd pick SRT as well, adding both Hammond and Headley means you'll be batting a long way down! As great as all your picks are - I reckon Miller ranks higher on an all time allrounders list than Headley does as a batsman or Trueman as a bowler.

They're all below Trumper though. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Fair enough mate. Though with Bradman and Sobers both givens, and I assume you'd pick SRT as well, adding both Hammond and Headley means you'll be batting a long way down!
Well I may replace SRT with Hammond, really. It depends on my mood. If SRT makes it, Hammond wouldn't. And vice versa.

1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Bradman
  4. SRT/Hammond
  5. Headley/Chappell/Richards
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Marshall
  10. Trueman/Barnes
  11. McGrath

Something like that.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Well I may replace SRT with Hammond, really. It depends on my mood. If SRT makes it, Hammond wouldn't. And vice versa.

1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Bradman
  4. SRT/Hammond
  5. Headley/Chappell/Richards
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Warne
  9. Marshall
  10. Trueman/Barnes
  11. McGrath

Something like that.
Cool mate - a great side regardless, didn't realise you actually rated Trueman in that highly. A couple of us were picking our XIs in the other thread - very similar to yours overall.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Saeed Anwar with equal votes to Greenidge, and more than Morris?

Has Anwar's family joined the forum, or did the PCB "intervene"?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:

Only three votes for both and IMO you can't read too much into that.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The Sean said:

Nah, some people just don't rate anyone who played before 1980.