• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People have a right to ask a cricket question

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think it's so much the regularity of the debate as the fact that every discussion ends up with racial slurs from both sides, a load of chucking discussion, then drug taking, then match fixing then...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's fair enough, but those allegations aren't against the forum rules are they (minus the racial slurs obviously).

It may be tiring to hear, but Murali was called for throwing, Warne was punished for drug taking and the match fixing scandal etc. They're still cricket issues.

I'm not too fussed about it really, I just think let it be. I mean we don't block Sachin v Lara when the common allegations are "Choker" vs. "Selfish batsman" etc. We hear that stuff all the time, but its people's opinions.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't think it's so much the regularity of the debate as the fact that every discussion ends up with racial slurs from both sides, a load of chucking discussion, then drug taking, then match fixing then...
Hi Marc

You are right that certain discussions end up in racial or other avoidable pits. But what I am saying is that the way to avoid them is not to shun the topic of debate altogether. That would be unfair to those who would like to discuss it and do so in a perfectly acceptable manner. They dont deserve to be punished for the follies a others. We need to find a more equitable method of tackling those who refuse to follow the site's standards for debate in letter as well as in spirit.

The trouble with the 'spirit' part is that it does seem to have a shifting fringe line that divides objectivity from subjectivity but it is here that we are all willing to support the moderates judgement for that would still be fairer than cutting off the nose, and other parts subsequently, to spite a face that will still refuse to go away.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
lol, whats wrong with arguments. If people are catching feelings over the internet then you need your head checked. Obviously racism shouldn't be tolerated if you can't handle some arguing on an internet forum theres something wrong with you.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dar said:
lol, whats wrong with arguments. If people are catching feelings over the internet then you need your head checked. Obviously racism shouldn't be tolerated if you can't handle some arguing on an internet forum theres something wrong with you.
Nothing whatsoever - just as long as the argument doesn't ALWAYS degenerate into the usual "Murali's a chucker". "So what? Warnie's a pitch-reporting weather-forecasting druggie". It's funny for a while, but soon becomes tedious.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Yes but I think newbies should be allowed to go blue in the face too. Perhaps a Warne v Murali sticky would be the way, allowing all-and-sundry who wish to engage ad infinitum to do so, and others to safely ignore. This could lead to Mod problems of course if it does degenerate, but that's what Mods are for! :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Yes but I think newbies should be allowed to go blue in the face too. Perhaps a Warne v Murali sticky would be the way, allowing all-and-sundry who wish to engage ad infinitum to do so, and others to safely ignore. This could lead to Mod problems of course if it does degenerate, but that's what Mods are for! :p
Start one off, then

/runs and hides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
Hi Marc

You are right that certain discussions end up in racial or other avoidable pits. But what I am saying is that the way to avoid them is not to shun the topic of debate altogether. That would be unfair to those who would like to discuss it and do so in a perfectly acceptable manner. They dont deserve to be punished for the follies a others. We need to find a more equitable method of tackling those who refuse to follow the site's standards for debate in letter as well as in spirit.
The problem I can see there is that if the thread is there, then it's open for anyone to post in, and it won't take long for the one's who've dragged every previous such-thread into the gutter.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
The problem I can see there is that if the thread is there, then it's open for anyone to post in, and it won't take long for the one's who've dragged every previous such-thread into the gutter.
Warning, then one month ban for racism/drug allegations et al.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
lol, one month ban for drug allegations? He failed a drugs test and you wanna ban people for drug allegations

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dar said:
lol, one month ban for drug allegations? He failed a drugs test and you wanna ban people for drug allegations
I agree - make the punishment fit the crime, my old spizella pusilla.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't have an enormous problem with the way the moderators handle the issue at present. We occasionally do have reasonable discussions about Warne's ability, Murali's ability, and the chucking issue, etc. It's just that in the case of "Murali vs Warne" threads, all roads seem to lead to Rome - or the UWA (or just the crapper).

I guess a sticky could solve the problem - if there really is a problem with how things are handled presently.

A similar argument could, I suppose, be mounted for "Is Murali a chucker?" threads too - that new posters ought to be able to discuss such an issue. I remember another forum I used to post at (which was shutdown for entirely unrelated reasons) got incredibly clogged up with these kinds of threads, to the extent that posters complained that it was difficult to talk about other subjects. After a while, the moderators there also decided to limit new threads on the subject. Personally, I don't think anything incredibly precious was lost when this policy was enforced.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Dar said:
..drug allegations et al, I said. Ad hominem attacks and the like. I don't want to ban anybody, in fact it can be fun to lurk in hot areas :) , however the mods may disagree.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Either make a sticky or just get over it. This forum is incredibly active, if you go away for a few hours then come back theres a shedload of new threads and posts. Some people have lives outside the internet and they can only come on once a day or even less so they're not gonna be aware of whats been discussed or not. Its hardly crime of the century. And i don't think warne vs murali or lara vs sachin threads are stopping people talking about different things. Look at the amount of threads that are being started, i'm sure you can live with a few repetitive threads. If not, then just say this thread has been discussed many times and close it then get over it. But theres no way threads should be closed cos it may lead to arguments, thats the whole point in a discussion board people are gonna disagree and like i said before, if your catching feelings over the internet then you need to check yourself

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I'm a moderator on another forum and, while I'm not sure how easy it is on the vBulletin software, we simply delete offensive posts, which go to another sub-forum in the moderators' forum, where the moderators discuss possible bannings.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
I'm a moderator on another forum and, while I'm not sure how easy it is on the vBulletin software, we simply delete offensive posts, which go to another sub-forum in the moderators' forum, where the moderators discuss possible bannings.
Wow. Poacher turned gamekeeper or what?! :p

WRT the Murali/Warne issue I find the whole shebang rather tiresome. Partly because it's been done to death, but mainly because it's a divisive topic. I agree that newcomers may not be aware of this but I think the poster who started the most recent thread almost certainly was & was being a bit of a scamp.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Whats so wrong about the thread being closed?

no one said anything offensive,which had a big chance of happening if the thread had stayed open.

i don't know about you guys,but i hate seeing threads that start with a 3 word sentance.if all threads were like that,i would leave.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Wow. Poacher turned gamekeeper or what?! :p

WRT the Murali/Warne issue I find the whole shebang rather tiresome. Partly because it's been done to death, but mainly because it's a divisive topic. I agree that newcomers may not be aware of this but I think the poster who started the most recent thread almost certainly was & was being a bit of a scamp.
I'm a Volty-come-lately to here. As you know, I've been on that rugby forum, and I've been there several years...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
I'm a Volty-come-lately to here. As you know, I've been on that rugby forum, and I've been there several years...
Yeah, but I've never seen hide nor hair of a mod anywhere near that place tho! Either that or they've got v high tolerance threshold!

Haven't been on for ages mind, but doubt it's changed that much.