• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People have a right to ask a cricket question

open365

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
I'm a Volty-come-lately to here. As you know, I've been on that rugby forum, and I've been there several years...
whats the site addres?

i've been looking for a rugby forum...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Voltman said:
I'm a moderator on another forum and, while I'm not sure how easy it is on the vBulletin software, we simply delete offensive posts, which go to another sub-forum in the moderators' forum, where the moderators discuss possible bannings.
Actually, you just touched on something here, mate.

One of the things that used to really annoy me here was how, if you'd started a thread (or were participating in it) that was interesting, all it took was for some tool (and in many cases, a particular tool) to come post in it with their inflammatory crap, and the thread was guaranteed to get locked, and the discussion shut down.

I really didn't like this, 'cause in most cases, the troll won't give a damn if they get the thread locked - but everybody else loses the ability to participate in what could have been an interesting thread. So those earnestly posting on a topic are punished more than the troll who essentially dropped a turd in the saladbowl. In that context, I'd much prefer that offensive or trolling posts are deleted, and the thread remains open.

Obviously this presents it's own different set of problems though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
I'm a moderator on another forum and, while I'm not sure how easy it is on the vBulletin software, we simply delete offensive posts, which go to another sub-forum in the moderators' forum, where the moderators discuss possible bannings.

That's available here IIRC, but the problem is that it only takes one post to be replied to and it can all escalate very quickly (and although the team we have do a superb job, there will be times when there is nobody on to keep track of things)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, but I've never seen hide nor hair of a mod anywhere near that place tho! Either that or they've got v high tolerance threshold!

Haven't been on for ages mind, but doubt it's changed that much.
It's as spiteful as ever, and there's still not a moderator in sight - which makes things interesting. It's easily the busiest rugby forum about.

open365,

If you know that on the Planet, the best sport is rugby, you will be able to find it. :D I best not advertise it any further.

Slow Love,

It does work well. And the moderators' forum is great value to read as well. :laugh:

marc,

I would suggest the forum I moderate on moves just as quickly, if not quicker, than here. There's about 10-12 moderators and we nip stuff in the bud fairly quickly. And if it's not fairly deleted, it can always be moved back.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Thats one way to do it.

Sure it would have implications as Slow_Love has suggested (who said choices are between perfect and imperfect solutions) but its far more preferable (from my view point) to closing otherwise legitimate threads and seems fairer/more just to those who are "innocent" and to those who aren't.