• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan early 1990s vs Kohli’s India

Who wins?

• Total voters

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Pakistan is not winning in India and I doubt India is winning in Pakistan. But I can see India losing by single test or drawing in Pakistan. Pakistan ain't doing the same in India
2018-19 india (the one that won bgt) is winning both. bumrah and pant both had matured plus the middle order trio were still in good nick. bumrah got injured a few months later and post covid the trio lost form/were old.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
I'd say that this is the strongest Indian batting lineup that bumrah has played with since 2019.

This sort of consistency had been missing from Indian batting for a long time. Post covid India has done well but that is mostly due to bowling + lower order rescue (pant/jadeja/axar mostly, bumrah-shami at lord's, shardul at oval, shardul/sundar at gabba) + occasional contribution from the oldies.

back in the 15-19 run the lower order didn't even need to contribute to india's wins. the top order killed the game (especially at home/asia).

Slifer

International Captain
2018-19 india (the one that won bgt) is winning both. bumrah and pant both had matured plus the middle order trio were still in good nick. bumrah got injured a few months later and post covid the trio lost form/were old.
Unlikely to win in Pakistan. India looks good on paper but I doubt the batting lineup is holding up to Waqar, Wasim and Mustaq at home. Bumrah should do well but I'm not expecting much from the other bowlers honestly. Pakistan won't destroy India or anything like that but I can envision a draw.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Unlikely to win in Pakistan. India looks good on paper but I doubt the batting lineup is holding up to Waqar, Wasim and Mustaq at home. Bumrah should do well but I'm not expecting much from the other bowlers honestly. Pakistan won't destroy India or anything like that but I can envision a draw.
Walk us through the reasoning that had you arrive at that conclusion? Waqar, Wasim and Mustaq could barely make a dent in one of the weakest post Sunny line-up that toured in 1989. Sachin was a raw 16 year old. Manjrekar had the outlier series of a lifetime. But it was still a rickety Indian line up and yet, Pakistan failed to knock them over.

But somehow the Indian line-up with Pant, Pujara, Kohli, Gill would not stand up to them because?

Xix2565

International Debutant
Walk us through the reasoning that had you arrive at that conclusion? Waqar, Wasim and Mustaq could barely make a dent in one of the weakest post Sunny line-up that toured in 1989. Sachin was a raw 16 year old. Manjrekar had the outlier series of a lifetime. But it was still a rickety Indian line up and yet, Pakistan failed to knock them over.

But somehow the Indian line-up with Pant, Pujara, Kohli, Gill would not stand up to them because?
Clearly they wouldn't rig the pitches in this case, don't you get it?

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd say that this is the strongest Indian batting lineup that bumrah has played with since 2019.

This sort of consistency had been missing from Indian batting for a long time. Post covid India has done well but that is mostly due to bowling + lower order rescue (pant/jadeja/axar mostly, bumrah-shami at lord's, shardul at oval, shardul/sundar at gabba) + occasional contribution from the oldies.

back in the 15-19 run the lower order didn't even need to contribute to india's wins. the top order killed the game (especially at home/asia).
Look they're promising but literally all they've done is bat to standard - not out of this world, but to standard - against an attack whose spin component is more suited to a U23 development squad than a Test match and is probably weaker than some Ranji attacks they face from week to week. Let's hold fire on some of the judgments here.

Slifer

International Captain

And Kohli's teams have toured NZ and RSA with what level of success? None. And South Africa especially have had pathetic batting line-ups. Now pitches in those two countries are completely different from Pakistan but Pakistan's bowling was still a class apart.

Notice at the end, I did say a draw is the most likely outcome imo. Australia with a decent team lost there in 1994. If you think India are just going to waltz into Pakistan and beat them no questions asked, then you're delusional.

Say what you want about Pakistan but the last thing they'd endure is a loss at home to India. Even if that meant preparing roads, which is why I said a draw is most likely.

subshakerz

International Coach
When you look at at the talent and skill of the 80/ / 90s Pakistan teams, it’s evident how much they underperformed (which is of course the stereotype).

That team should have won every home series from 1978 to 2003. The fact they couldn’t outs India’s current achievement in context.
Don't conflate the 80s and 90s team. Pakistan was undefeated at home from 1980 to 1995, and then promptly lost to SL, SA, Zimbabwe, Australia and England in the next five years.

subshakerz

International Coach

Unfortunately Pak-Ind series have a bipartisan record of safe dull pitch series with the odd lively decider. Certainly the case with 86/87, 89, 2006 and 2007 series.

subshakerz

International Coach
And Kohli's teams have toured NZ and RSA with what level of success? None. And South Africa especially have had pathetic batting line-ups. Now pitches in those two countries are completely different from Pakistan but Pakistan's bowling was still a class apart.

Notice at the end, I did say a draw is the most likely outcome imo. Australia with a decent team lost there in 1994. If you think India are just going to waltz into Pakistan and beat them no questions asked, then you're delusional.

Say what you want about Pakistan but the last thing they'd endure is a loss at home to India. Even if that meant preparing roads, which is why I said a draw is most likely.
The 90s Pak team was actually a better touring side than at home. But you are right, they are likely to prepare concrete slabs at home.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Don't conflate the 80s and 90s team. Pakistan was undefeated at home from 1980 to 1995, and then promptly lost to SL, SA, Zimbabwe, Australia and England in the next five years.
it was all the draws. Should have won a lot more with that talent.

It was a great team, starting with Majid and Zaheer and then peak Imran and Javed and then the Ws, Inzamam, Anwar etc.

As an a India fan back then they were highly intimidating, more in some ways than the Windies because 1983.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
yes but in Indian conditions, you can argue that the Pakistani team is better suited than even the ATG Aus and WI teams. I haven’t voted because I’m not sure yet
And you have to remember that Pakistan still had players that ended careers of Indian spin quartet. That Pakistani team was as good as anything gathered on the planet on playing spin. The 90s Pakistan would have had a top of the performance Wasim and Waqar. Imran was done by then. Qadir was non existent against India. So the spin cupboard is empty for them. Bumrah, Shami and Siraj IMO is almost as good Wasim, Waqar and Aaqib. Batting also very close. So I would say still India of today.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin Jadeja are the best combo in India, especially complemented by Bumrah, Shami and Kuldeep
True, how ever, Anwar, Sohail, Miandad, Imram, Ijaz and Malik are the best to tour in Indian conditions too. And unlike many touring faster bowlers, Akram and Younis are made for the Indian conditions. Not to mention Aaqib Javed too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Imran done, Waqar's debut, Qadir done, Mushtaq's debut. Don't sound like the best Pakistani side that toured. Infact by 1990-91 they were much better with Waqar and Aaqib Javed becoming mature bowlers, despite Wasim losing his blistering pace.

subshakerz

International Coach
And you have to remember that Pakistan still had players that ended careers of Indian spin quartet. That Pakistani team was as good as anything gathered on the planet on playing spin. The 90s Pakistan would have had a top of the performance Wasim and Waqar. Imran was done by then. Qadir was non existent against India. So the spin cupboard is empty for them. Bumrah, Shami and Siraj IMO is almost as good Wasim, Waqar and Aaqib. Batting also very close. So I would say still India of today.
Maybe you forgot Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe you forgot Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed.
Don't think they were early 90s. By the time they became forces, Akeam had slowed down due to diabetes and Waqar due to stress fractures. Although in combination they were a better attack, Indians do play spin much better. That only happened in early 90s with Pakistan with Wasim, Waqar and Aaqib all at peak.

GirthQuake

Imran done, Waqar's debut, Qadir done, Mushtaq's debut. Don't sound like the best Pakistani side that toured. Infact by 1990-91 they were much better with Waqar and Aaqib Javed becoming mature bowlers, despite Wasim losing his blistering pace.
Struggling to see what Qadir done means here given he averaged over 50 against India when he was medium-rare. A nothingburger of a bowler.

Yes, Imran was at the fag end. Wasim at his peak perhaps. Will only snort at the attempt to present Aquib as a kind of decisive bowler.

Still, on balance that was a superlative pakistan squad by their standards and recent run compared to India. There's no equivalence.

The larger point of this thread is still laughable. That Kohli's India that played one of Australia's most formidable attacks on their grounds and won - twice - would somehow struggle against *any* pakistan team of 1990s.

They'd be blanked 5-zip.

GirthQuake

What has Kohli's India results in RSA and NZ got to do with how they'd fare - theoretically - against that Pakistan team? That Pakistan team struggled to bowl out a rickety Indian batting line up. They'd be obliterated by a peak Kohli's India. That Pakistan team used to huff and puff against *that* Indian bowling line-up. Watching them face Bumrah and co would be Brutal and funny in equal measure. Thanks, but this is a no contest.

Slifer

International Captain
What has Kohli's India results in RSA and NZ got to do with how they'd fare - theoretically - against that Pakistan team? That Pakistan team struggled to bowl out a rickety Indian batting line up. They'd be obliterated by a peak Kohli's India. That Pakistan team used to huff and puff against *that* Indian bowling line-up. Watching them face Bumrah and co would be Brutal and funny in equal measure. Thanks, but this is a no contest.
Focus. Kohli’s team isn't obliterating Pakistan IN Pakistan and particularly the early 90s version. The point about NZ and RSA is that early 90s Pakistan had even better bowling than both. The best Kohli’s team can hope for in Pakistan is a draw.