• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan early 1990s vs Kohli’s India

Who wins?

• Total voters

ma1978

International 12th Man
Who wins? Asssume a 5 test series in India and one in Pakistan

Two very strong teams and the Pakistan team uniquely skilled to play India in India

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
In India, India easily. We were arguing on(in another thread), about how it would very close between WI and Aus ATG teams to win in Ind. pak 1990s(while very good) isn’t much on them

ma1978

International 12th Man
In India, India easily. We were arguing on(in another thread), about how it would very close between WI and Aus ATG teams to win in Ind. pak 1990s(while very good) isn’t much on them
yes but in Indian conditions, you can argue that the Pakistani team is better suited than even the ATG Aus and WI teams. I haven’t voted because I’m not sure yet

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
yes but in Indian conditions, you can argue that the Pakistani team is better suited than even the ATG Aus and WI teams. I haven’t voted because I’m not sure yet
Marshall, Holding, Mcgrath, Gillespie have great records in India. Wasim and Waqar(who was past his peak btw) don’t. I know they have great results in Pak, but doesn’t guarantee they can repeat it in Ind(example Imran).

Johan

U19 12th Man
Uhm, neither team approaches Windies or Australia

but India wins convincingly, Post-Imran Pakistan were a different team on paper and in memories than they were on field.

Kirkut

International Regular
Pakistan under Imran was a powerful side, but they weren't really thrashing teams at home effortlessly.

The current Indian team has made India tours the final frontier for all sides, but it would be interesting to see how they would have fared against Steve Waugh's side, mental toughness to the max.

I'd say even Strauss' team from 2009-2012 would have made our current side play out of their skins to win.

Both amazing teams, I'll edge towards India for thrashing any touring side without too much effort.

subshakerz

International Coach
India would win in Pakistan and Pakistan would win in India.

The 90s Pakistan team was actually a reasonably good touring side but sucked at home.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Imran's side was stronger in the mid to late 80s rather than the 90s. They came within inches of dethroning the peak Windies too.
It was a bloody good team. I actually think this is the team that has the best chance of beating this India team in India, not peak Windies or Australia

Miandad vs Ashwin / Jadeja would be something to watch

subshakerz

International Coach
Pakistan in the late 90s won 2/3 tests in India against a somewhat strong Indian side at home. Wasim actually was a pretty good captain at that point. So I am fairly confident that they could manage at least a drawn series against Kohli's team. Wasim/Waqar/Mushtaq Ahmed/Saqlain in bowling and Anwar/Ijaz/Salim/Inzi/Moin in batting.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Pakistan in the late 90s won 2/3 tests in India against a somewhat strong Indian side at home. Wasim actually was a pretty good captain at that point. So I am fairly confident that they could manage at least a drawn series against Kohli's team. Wasim/Waqar/Mushtaq Ahmed/Saqlain in bowling and Anwar/Ijaz/Salim/Inzi/Moin in batting.
As good as they are, in India, their bowling attack is no match to Ashwin/Jadeja/Shami/Bumrah/Kuldeep

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, Pakistan's issue has always been their mental midgetry. Imran himself was a rarity in the sense that he brought a mental toughness to the side that was missing in Pakistan teams of the past and the post his period. The mental strength along with the ability to deal with the in fighting and commanding respect at the same time meant that he could actually channel the talent to win. The late 90s team while more talented (with many of them hand picked by Imran) were plagued by infighting and hence not really anywhere near as effective a unit as they should have been. Hence I don't see them really winning against Kohli's India.