• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan early 1990s vs Kohli’s India

Who wins?

• Total voters

ma1978

International 12th Man
Pakistan in the late 90s won 2/3 tests in India against a somewhat strong Indian side at home. Wasim actually was a pretty good captain at that point. So I am fairly confident that they could manage at least a drawn series against Kohli's team. Wasim/Waqar/Mushtaq Ahmed/Saqlain in bowling and Anwar/Ijaz/Salim/Inzi/Moin in batting.
that India team was utter dog****.

venkatesh prasad
Nayan mongia
Ramesh
Opener VVS
sunil joshi
Over the hill azhar

no accomplishment there. It basically entailed beating Sachin

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

venkatesh prasad
Nayan mongia
Ramesh
Opener VVS
sunil joshi
Over the hill azhar

Are you sure? Sounds like you’re just looking at stats on statsguru. Did you not feel how strong they were when they were playing? Did you not see the utter poetry VVS wove with his bat?

howitzer

State Vice-Captain

venkatesh prasad
Nayan mongia
Ramesh
Opener VVS
sunil joshi
Over the hill azhar

I don't see Azhar as having been over the hill there. Played well in indivdual Tests against SA and SL afterwards and his career wasn't ended by his batting not being good enough anymore but other reasons. Agree with the rest though

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Are you sure? Sounds like you’re just looking at stats on statsguru. Did you not feel how strong they were when they were playing? Did you not see the utter poetry VVS wove with his bat?
Not when he opened early in his career though. Batted out of position and it went badly wrong.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I pretty much saw every one of VVS’s innings (and it wasn’t easy because J was a student in the US and has to get grainy illegal streamsand he’s my favorite cricketer.

Other than that 167, he didn’t have his head together as an opener.

he really put it together post 2001.

1998 / 1999 was a real low point for Indian cricket except for Sachin

subshakerz

International Coach

venkatesh prasad
Nayan mongia
Ramesh
Opener VVS
sunil joshi
Over the hill azhar

Azhar wasn't over the hill. Along with Sachin you had Dravid. And Srinath and Kumble.

Obviously Kohli's side was stronger but calling that a weak side, in Indian conditions, it just wrong. It was just beat by better Pakistan and later SA teams.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not when he opened early in his career though. Batted out of position and it went badly wrong.
I was at the ground. They were ****ter than their statsguru indicates.
I pretty much saw every one of VVS’s innings (and it wasn’t easy because J was a student in the US and has to get grainy illegal streamsand he’s my favorite cricketer.

Other than that 167, he didn’t have his head together as an opener.

he really put it together post 2001.

1998 / 1999 was a real low point for Indian cricket except for Sachin
Whoosh

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Pakistan in the late 90s won 2/3 tests in India against a somewhat strong Indian side at home. Wasim actually was a pretty good captain at that point. So I am fairly confident that they could manage at least a drawn series against Kohli's team. Wasim/Waqar/Mushtaq Ahmed/Saqlain in bowling and Anwar/Ijaz/Salim/Inzi/Moin in batting.
I don't see Azhar as having been over the hill there. Played well in indivdual Tests against SA and SL afterwards and his career wasn't ended by his batting not being good enough anymore but other reasons. Agree with the rest though
An ATG Australia couldn’t beat India when half our ****ers were trying to throw games and this subzi guy thinks they’ll beat a team that’s gone 12 years/17 series winning every single one on the trot?

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
An ATG Australia couldn’t beat India when half our ****ers were trying to throw games and this subzi guy thinks they’ll beat a team that’s gone 12 years/17 series winning every single one on the trot?
I was merely disputing the notion that Azharuddin was no longer a good batsman at that point. He could clearly still play. The side was definitely sub-par though.