• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Denied to go India for WC, (pak's>U-Turn<)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
not sure if Russia and Pakistan are comparable in this instance when one country is actively committing war crimes with every passing second
Yeah it's all debatable. But pontificating with generic grandstanding is BS.

S. Jaishankar was spot on when he said "Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe’s problems are the world’s problems but the world’s problems are not Europe’s problems". Perfectly illustrated by @Sunil1z with the Wimbledon example.

Besides I haven't heard anything about India not wanting to host Pakistan for the world cup. It's the usual internet urge of "let me call someone out today with a righteous sounding stance so I can feel good about my own self".

Socerer 01

International Captain

S. Jaishankar was spot on when he said "Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe’s problems are the world’s problems but the world’s problems are not Europe’s problems". Perfectly illustrated by @Sunil1z with the Wimbledon example.

Besides I haven't heard anything about India not wanting to host Pakistan for the world cup. It's the usual internet urge of "let me call someone out today with a righteous sounding stance so I can feel good about my own self".
agree in essence with what you're saying but again a difference between those two countries at present with present being the key

Sunil1z

International Regular
not sure if Russia and Pakistan are comparable in this instance when one country is actively committing war crimes with every passing second
India played against Pakistan in 1999 WC even when Kargil War was going on in 1999

Talk about not mixing politics and sports , England/USA are the first one to mix politics with sports . Why haven’t England toured ZIM since 2004 ? Why Eng /AUS refused to play in ZIM in 2003 WC ? You don’t consider it politics

Socerer 01

International Captain
India played against Pakistan in 1999 WC even when Kargil War was going on in 1999

Talk about not mixing politics and sports , England/USA are the first one to mix politics with sports . Why haven’t England toured ZIM since 2004 ? Why Eng /AUS refused to play in ZIM in 2003 WC ? You don’t consider it politics
i'm not one who claims politics should stay away from sports when both are interlinked throughout history and we all know how England aren't clean either

anil1405

International Captain
The OP said Pak refused to come to India but our wise poster @mackembhoy misunderstood and assumed India refused to host Pakistan.

AFAIK India hasn't refused to host Pakistan for the WC.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
The OP said Pak refused to come to India but our wise poster @mackembhoy misunderstood and assumed India refused to host Pakistan.

AFAIK India hasn't refused to host Pakistan for the WC.
Fair enough should wait for the full facts before jumping in with a strong opinion.

Weird that it seems to be an ICC and former Pakistan CEO being the one shouting for the idea the most. Surely the ICC want all teams at their showpiece event.

Wasim Khan was instrumental AFAIK in getting the ECB go back to Pakistan so surely Pakistan going back to India is another big deal and something he'd want to achieve

mackembhoy

International Debutant
India is fine to host Pakistan. India only denied to tour Pakistan and likewise, Pakistan refused to tour India.
As my previous post states shouldnt have jumped in without full facts. Poor that the two nations can't just get behind cricket as a way to work better together.

Using football rivalries in the UK is obviously not comparable but I live behind enemy lines as far as my football allegiance goes. Got grief at school for years as we were the poorer team, and then we won 6 games in a row against them and got to wind them up massively years later.

Was a great feeling and surely both sides would love to beat the other as many times as they can not having to wait years and years to play each other.

Cricket unites the two nations regardless of their hatred for each other. Should be a bridge and not a barrier. So whoever is stopping it needs to step away from the decision making.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Relax , India have agreed to host Pakistan.
Unlike England who are asking Russia and Belarusian players to not use the name of their
Country . So I guess you should definitely support Wimbledon should not be played in England.
As I say shouldnt have jumped in.

Apologies to all. I guess the whole India/Pakistan situation is very complex again I feel cricket should be used as a complete separate tool in relations between countries. Keep the politics between the two countries and the warring separate and let 22 people do their talking on a sporting pitch.

Personally found the banning of individual russian and belrussian sports people ridiculous. Russia invaded Ukraine years ago shaktar donestk hasn't been able to play home games in donestk for nearly 10 years. Having to play in other parts of Ukraine with now them be considered at war by the world in poland.

Why there was no condemnation or action from the rest of the world's governments then makes the sporting thing fall flat for me now. Get it from an footballing perspective as teams but non individual sports people.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@mackembhoy - the complexity is that both in India and Pakistan, taking a tough stance against the other is seen as a politically wise move guaranteed to get you votes. So neither Government or even oppositions will concede to the other. Neither country said they can't host the other, but Indian Government feels their players are not safe in Pakistan and hence do not allow them to travel to Pak. Pakistan feels it is not fair and therefore said they wont send their team over to play in India either in that case. The neutral venue games seems to be a save-the-face ramp for both Governments and both boards, who btw do wanna help each other out.

At the end of the day, if it means the tournaments can go ahead and maybe with the teams making the KOs means they will end up playing in each other's country anyways and hopefully that leads to better relationship between the countries and the Governments. But at the very least, it will be good to see the tournaments go on as planned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

S. Jaishankar was spot on when he said "Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe’s problems are the world’s problems but the world’s problems are not Europe’s problems".
Pretty funny you don’t recognise the contradiction in these two paragraphs tbh