• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated/Underrated

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
underrated... good cricket mind and fierce competitor. as well as a worthy bat and gloveman

Inzimam Ul-Haq

(ps congrats on the 3000 honestbharani)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
(thanks :))

Inzy is slightly under rated. The only thing that is missing in his resume are some big innings against Australia in Australia. But people are finally starting to give him his due recently.

Jonty Rhodes

Slats4ever

horribly overrated. the guys is nothing more than an ok first class batsman, and was riding on his fielding for too long!!!

VVS Laxman

Deja moo

International Captain
neither under nor over-rated (are we allowed this option?)...IMO everyone knows where he stands. Congrats on the 3000, hb :)

Mohammad Rafique

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Deja moo said:
neither under nor over-rated (are we allowed this option?)...IMO everyone knows where he stands. Congrats on the 3000, hb :)

Mohammad Rafique
slightly overrated. He toils hard and gives his best but does not quite have the talent to do much at this level, IMHO.

Graeme Hick

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Overrated by the England selectors, underrated by pretty much everyone else (because they only saw him in Tests, where he wasn't much chop).

Terry Alderman?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
LongHopCassidy said:
Terry Alderman?
Probably slightly underrated. He certainly had the wood on Goochie back in 1989. 170 wickets @ 27-ish looks merely good, but if he hadn't have done his shoulder or taken the dirty Krugerrands I think it may've been somewhat better.

Craig McDermott?

Slats4ever

sadly i think he was overrated... Sure he was the Australia's heart in the 90's but it wasn't that hard to be i don't think. Often he's mentioned in the same breath as McGrath which he doesn't deserve.

Thommo

Cloete

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
sadly i think he was overrated... Sure he was the Australia's heart in the 90's but it wasn't that hard to be i don't think. Often he's mentioned in the same breath as McGrath which he doesn't deserve.

Thommo
Overrated.

Sure, good bowler but certainly nothing special and certainly not an all-time great. He basically rode on the back of DKL at the other end IMO, which made him look alot better than he actually was.

Jacques Rudolph.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
horribly overrated. the guys is nothing more than an ok first class batsman, and was riding on his fielding for too long!!!
Who rated Jonty Rhodes as a top class batsman? I don't think Rhodes was ever considered anything more than a brilliant fielder and a brave, if limited batsman. Always average, thus can't be over-rated really.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
Overrated.

Sure, good bowler but certainly nothing special and certainly not an all-time great. He basically rode on the back of DKL at the other end IMO, which made him look alot better than he actually was.

Jacques Rudolph.
Rated adequately. Not over-rated or under-rated IMO.

I think a lot of people realize the strengths and flaws of Jacques Rudolph. He's a good batsman, but has potential to be better than "good" with some application and consistency.

Can't be bothered to look back and see if he was posted, so just ignore and move forward if so:

Simon Jones

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Rated adequately. Not over-rated or under-rated IMO.

I think a lot of people realize the strengths and flaws of Jacques Rudolph. He's a good batsman, but has potential to be better than "good" with some application and consistency.

Can't be bothered to look back and see if he was posted, so just ignore and move forward if so:

Simon Jones
hm.. interesting one.

Depends who you are, overrated by alot (mainly Englishmen though). But certainly, in some ways, with due cause. Once he starts playing consistently (as in, no injuries) then I think he has the potential to be an excellent (if not world-beating) bowler. I don't think he's anything "too" special at the moment tohugh. Still a very good bowler but only time will tell...

Justin Kemp (Sorry, just got SA players in my head atm with the current tour).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
hm.. interesting one.

Depends who you are, overrated by alot (mainly Englishmen though). But certainly, in some ways, with due cause. Once he starts playing consistently (as in, no injuries) then I think he has the potential to be an excellent (if not world-beating) bowler. I don't think he's anything "too" special at the moment tohugh. Still a very good bowler but only time will tell...

Justin Kemp (Sorry, just got SA players in my head atm with the current tour).
I think he's rated just about right. He's a very potent hitter down the order, and he's done it consistently enough over the last year and a half or so to ensure that his England return wasn't a fluke. His bowling may be slightly under-rated, as he can be quite useful in some conditions. That said, South Africa generally doesn't have need for him with all their bowling options.

Kabir Ali.

(I agree about Simon Jones for the most part btw. I still think he's made reverse swing ***y again though.)

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think he's rated just about right. He's a very potent hitter down the order, and he's done it consistently enough over the last year and a half or so to ensure that his England return wasn't a fluke. His bowling may be slightly under-rated, as he can be quite useful in some conditions. That said, South Africa generally doesn't have need for him with all their bowling options.

Kabir Ali.

(I agree about Simon Jones for the most part btw. I still think he's made reverse swing ***y again though.)
Well, I haven't really heard anyone talking about him for a while, which is probabl a good thing. I'd say he's about right, but considering it's an overrated or underrated game, I'll go with overrated. Because even if he is only rated by one person he'd still be overrated :p

Mahendra Dhoni

(Re: Jones, I must admit I loved watching him bowl in the later overs of the Ashes! Except when he hit Australian pads [which was very often])

Dasa

Cloete said:
Well, I haven't really heard anyone talking about him for a while, which is probabl a good thing. I'd say he's about right, but considering it's an overrated or underrated game, I'll go with overrated. Because even if he is only rated by one person he'd still be overrated :p

Mahendra Dhoni

(Re: Jones, I must admit I loved watching him bowl in the later overs of the Ashes! Except when he hit Australian pads [which was very often])
Overrated by some Indian fans, underrated by those who have kneejerk negative reactions to those fans.

Vikram Solanki.