• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated/Underrated

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
(Re: Jones, I must admit I loved watching him bowl in the later overs of the Ashes! Except when he hit Australian pads [which was very often])
I think it's a keen reflection of his potency that Michael Vaughan centred his tactic for an entire day of cricket around the bowling of Jones. I'm referring to when he took the new ball at strategic moment in hope that he would have Jones bowling toward the end of the 3rd (was it the 3rd?) Test match.

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
We fix it...

Andy Flower.
One of the most underrated players in the history of cricket IMO. Great player, great guy and great morals.

Ashey Giles

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
One of the most underrated players in the history of cricket IMO. Great player, great guy and great morals.

Ashey Giles
Rated adequately by many. Over-rated by some. Under-rated by some. For example, he was under-rated by the Australians, as almost all of them got out to him. It's been said so many times, but Ashely Giles does a job in an attack that already has four potent bowlers.

Grant Flower.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
rated adequately, I think. He was a great trier but he didn't really have the talent of his brother. But an excellent fielder and a handy bowler.

Ajit Agarkar aka GOD. :D

thierry henry

International Coach
Gayle is overrated, even though I'm a big fan. People say his record doesn't show his true worth, but imo he has outdone himself to be a competent international opener when he never shows any inclination to get behind the ball and generally refuses to play any over 120k into the legside.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I agree that Chris Gayle is as unorthodox as anyone in his success, but he does have means of compensating for his limitations. For one, he has an extraordinary eye, even though he gets ****y because of it at times. His ability to generate power with such a seeming lack of effort is also extraordinary. Yes, Gayle has clear limitations which have hindered him at time, but I think he's also deserved a lot of his success because of how he's managed to cope with these limitations.

He's an under-rated bowler IMO.

thierry henry

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I agree that Chris Gayle is as unorthodox as anyone in his success, but he does have means of compensating for his limitations. For one, he has an extraordinary eye, even though he gets ****y because of it at times. His ability to generate power with such a seeming lack of effort is also extraordinary. Yes, Gayle has clear limitations which have hindered him at time, but I think he's also deserved a lot of his success because of how he's managed to cope with these limitations.

He's an under-rated bowler IMO.
Yeah, I reckon his record is about right, I think when people talk about his ability to do so much more they are overrated him. I also think he has a genuine physical dislike of getting in behind the ball.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Who rated Jonty Rhodes as a top class batsman? I don't think Rhodes was ever considered anything more than a brilliant fielder and a brave, if limited batsman. Always average, thus can't be over-rated really.
hardly. no one's ever going to get into a side cos they were a brillian fielder. he got in there on his batting ability AND fielding ability.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know of anyone who rates his bowling...underrated as a batsman probably.

Steve Tikolo.