• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over rated Vettori?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Mingster said:
Butler's pace is extremely overrated. He ain't that fast. Only Fast-Medium.
But if I recall correctly, he was bowling around 145 kph on the most recent New Zealand tour of India, and on the dry wickets they played on, that is impressive! But perhaps I am mistaken.

Mingster

State Regular
Lions81 said:
But if I recall correctly, he was bowling around 145 kph on the most recent New Zealand tour of India, and on the dry wickets they played on, that is impressive! But perhaps I am mistaken.
His fastest speed on the Pakistan series was only 144, very disappointing. Martin and Cairns got higher than that.

Speed can't get good batsmen out, you need accuracy as well, a quality that Butler doesn't have.

Deja moo

International Captain
His fastest speed on the Pakistan series was only 144, very disappointing. Martin and Cairns got higher than that.
Still faster than any of the Indian bowlers on the current toureof Pakistan :(

Mingster

State Regular
orangepitch said:
Still faster than any of the Indian bowlers on the current toureof Pakistan :(
Surely Pathan and Agarkar must be close?

But at least all 3 of your pace bowlers can swing the ball....

swillisam

Cricket Spectator
College Cricket

Vettori is average and is extremely overated, with and average of who gives a ****, hes a useless halftracker, four eyes, developement team bowler who should go back to college cricket and play in prem 7 where he belongs or better yet, he should just not play and save us all a bit of grief. I would mcuh ratehr see Mark Richardson in the team being the spiner as he is much better quality and realible than vettori.

Kent

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
On a more serious note. I like the look of Bruce Martin. He is shorter than Vettori, and gets good loop and flight from his deliveries. Looks to me a far more attacking bowler than the Post-Vettori.
Everyone who actually watches a bit of domestic cricket seems to think this Mingster. Even radio commentator Steve Davie mentioned it on the Pandasport forum.

The sad thing is if he doesn't get named tomorrow, he won't know what more he has to do. A youngish spinner averaging 27 over a NZ f/c season is more exceptional than people realise, and it's doubly impressive when so many people say he looks like the real deal.

Domestic batsmen knew a guy like Lou Vincent was only 4 bad innings away from giving them a chance. It seems the adage "it's harder to get into the NZ side than it is to get out of it" still holds true for some other domestic players.

Last edited:
People thought he was done before, but he had a good tour of Australia & outbowled my boy Warnie. So I dont think you can write him off yet. I still rate him as a class act.

spofta

Banned
Re: College Cricket

swillisam said:
Vettori is average and is extremely overated, with and average of who gives a ****, hes a useless halftracker, four eyes, developement team bowler who should go back to college cricket and play in prem 7 where he belongs or better yet, he should just not play and save us all a bit of grief. I would mcuh ratehr see Mark Richardson in the team being the spiner as he is much better quality and realible than vettori.
WTF??? Are u stupid? Dan vettori is crap yes but richo as the spinner i would like to see flemming roll the arm over on occasions

Craig

World Traveller
swillisam said:
:huh: :huh: :wacko:

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
he is way too overrated cause i can bowl a left arm doosra ,and im right handed by birth says my writing and throwing cause i cant throw the ball 15 yards over arm left handed .i can also bowl chinamans and the wrongun, the arm ball is a bit too overrarted no there not the same ball the topspinner has forward spin the arm ball backspin, murali says he cant bowl a back spinner properly yet but hes lying too get out of trouble for bowling doosras

Craig

World Traveller
Kent said:
Dan must be dropped from the squad tomorrow for this alone...

:lol:

It was for charity, so thumbs up to him really.

The core members of www.beigebrigade.co.nz all have former Black Caps as their nicknames, except for (or is it including?) Dan "Bruce Martin" Vettori!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :laugh: :lol:

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
masterblaster said:
I rate him very highly, he's only a young man yet he has been around forever.

With further age and experience he will only get better.

Spinners are like wine, in the sense that they get better with age, and Vettori will be no different.

He is a proven match winner with the ball, bat and in the field, plus there aren't many other spinning options in New Zealand that are much better than him.

He's a handy cricketer, but by the time he will be 32 he will be one of the best in his trade.
Well you were proved right. Well done

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori is like a maturing wine, he was very good first up then went slightly off colour and is gradually getting better in the latter half of last year.

He is NZ's best spinner to date and almost certain to be the next Captain of the Black Caps (as he is being groomed for this. Although some may argue the case for Jacob Oram.)

I think he will improve if he is given the opporunity and learn more tricks along the way.

With his young age, he is definitely going to be there for a long time.
But he should definitely not take things for granted but continue trying to improve and become more potent .

In fact a stint with Terry Jenner would do him an awful lot of good, IMO.

shaka

International Regular
How many left arm spinners do their best against Australia? not many other that Vettori in the past 3 years.

bryce

International Regular
despite vettori's good form of late i still think he still has quite a bit to prove in international cricket and may be a bit overrated still, but he does have alot of time to do his talent justice

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
How many left arm spinners do their best against Australia? not many other that Vettori in the past 3 years.
Actually, Giles bowled well in the one game he got on our last tour - but then he got injured in the nets and out of the series!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
bryce said:
despite vettori's good form of late i still think he still has quite a bit to prove in international cricket and may be a bit overrated still, but he does have alot of time to do his talent justice
yes that sums it up rather nicely i think, but as i said before he will really have to work hard and apply himself well if he is to reach his potential.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
Just because you do your best against Australia doesn't mean you deserve any more forgiving for your failures elsewhere.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Just because you do your best against Australia doesn't mean you deserve any more forgiving for your failures elsewhere.
while in essence i agree, the ability for a player to perform at his best against the best (which australia have been most (??) of the times that he has played them) is one that must be regarded highly. when the challenge is put to him, he tends to meet it. unfortunately, he doesnt seem to perform as well against other nations - may well have to do with australia's long term weakness against quality finger spin - but hopefully he can carry his form that was garnered in the recent series.