• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over by 30 XI

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Doing a Wikipedia-esque jump through Cricinfo profiles of past players, was reading up on Shane Lee whom I had thought was older than he was when he finished his playing career - but was actually just 29. Made me think, given the endless amount of 'best of XI' threads of late, what would be the best team assembled of players whose careers (their whole career, full stop; not international but played FC for another 10 years type of thing) were over by the time they hit their 30th birthday?

Being a young whipper-snap there's possibly a raft of players I'm unaware of, and off the top of my head I can only really think of Shayne O'Connor and, unfortunately, Ben Hollioake.

Ideally they should've played a Test or ODI but prominent FC players could be considered. Why their career ended is irrelevant somehwta - whether or not by injury or because they chose to. The key bit here is the age of 30 (or 31, if the case is special enough).

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Should try and make a team of players who chose to stop playing before 30 IMO.

EDIT - Like Basit Ali and Ian Craig for example.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Should try and make a team of players who chose to stop playing before 30 IMO.

EDIT - Like Basit Ali and Ian Craig for example.
True. Should specify that the criteria is open to all reasons and circumstances, by their choice or other factors - doesn't really matter.

I had actually just come across Craig's profile too, n00fs. Good pick.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sadly all I can think about is people who passed away young. Phil Hughes has to be a shout if you're including Ben Hollioake(who I think has been overrated due to his death), and then theres of course Archie Jackson who might have ended up being Australia's second best pre war batsman had he not fallen ill

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, Roger Twose was fairly young when retired right? I loved watching him bat. Probably just over 30 tho

NZTailender

Sadly all I can think about is people who passed away young. Phil Hughes has to be a shout if you're including Ben Hollioake(who I think has been overrated due to his death), and then theres of course Archie Jackson who might have ended up being Australia's second best pre war batsman had he not fallen ill
Yeah there's bound to be some tragic cases, both of those whom you mentioned.

Twose was about 32/33 when he retired iirc.

Chris Drum was another.
Ah yep, was trying to remember the other quick of O'Connor's time. Was thinking it was Allott.

Edit: Allott retired before/at 30 as well!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kieswetter and Beau Casson are recent under 30s to retire for health reasons.

What's the name of that NZ spinner who debuted and broke his finger batting so didn't bowl a ball in his Test career? I read about him recently, making millions in property development now.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kieswetter and Beau Casson are recent under 30s to retire for health reasons.

What's the name of that NZ spinner who debuted and broke his finger batting so didn't bowl a ball in his Test career? I read about him recently, making millions in property development now.
Greg Loveridge IIRC.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah there's bound to be some tragic cases, both of those whom you mentioned.

Twose was about 32/33 when he retired iirc

Ah yep, was trying to remember the other quick of O'Connor's time. Was thinking it was Allott.

Edit: Allott retired before/at 30 as well!
Don't forget the legend himself Alex Tait, retired at 28.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
31 if the case is special enough? Freddie Flintoff then. T20 cameos last year aside.