• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oscar Pistorius

Piper

International Captain
True. Pistorios has broken his own world records about 26 times. I think if given the chance, could be up there with the best able-bodied athletes.
Des Kelly
For once, I agree with something in the Daily Mail.

open365

International Vice-Captain
True. Pistorios has broken his own world records about 26 times. I think if given the chance, could be up there with the best able-bodied athletes.
Des Kelly
Same problem though, how would you feel losing to a guy that runs on carbon fibre?

Des Kelly is the biggest disgrace to journalism i've ever seen- "It's also difficult to see why a 'technical aid' poses a problem. A pole vaulter uses a technical aid to get over a bar 20 feet up in the air."

That's sinking to new levels even for Kelly

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah thats one of the worst articles I've ever read.. And Pistorius's attitude is pretty horrific too.. Playing the disability card like it's going out of fashion... I can't believe he is complaining about the IAAF when they are funding the research for him..

Where is this going to be in twenty years time? Able bodied athletes amputating their own legs so they can run with carbon fibre blades, that by then, will no doubt be even quicker, even lighter than Oscar's..

If you want inspirational athletes... Okay he's making money, but I've met the guy, he's an absolute hero http://www.victorvermeulen.co.za/

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Des Kelly
What a piece of crap article, laughable really.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Not sure how much you know about Des Kelly in New Zealand (i don't want to sound patronising) but he has a daily page in the Mail and every day he comes out with crap like that, it astounds and appals me that even the mail could employ someone who writes the kind of mis representing ill-founded crap that he does.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They have 84 pages of crap to fill. It must be great to be able to steadfastly rely on someone daily. Actually, I should give them Dickinson's mobile...

Perm

Not sure how much you know about Des Kelly in New Zealand (i don't want to sound patronising) but he has a daily page in the Mail and every day he comes out with crap like that, it astounds and appals me that even the mail could employ someone who writes the kind of mis representing ill-founded crap that he does.
I'd never heard of them before now, but he seems like a fairly idiotic bloke.

Perm

He wants to compete. Let him compete. He's not going to seriously start beating the best able-bodied runners anyway without technical improvements to his prosthetic limbs. Maybe a rule where he has to race with the ones he got now
I am sure a lot of athletes want to compete in the Olympics, but we shouldn't let them for various reasons. What is the point in letting him race then, since he has no realistic chance of winning in your opinion. Is it just for the novelty value?

Fiery

Banned
I am sure a lot of athletes want to compete in the Olympics, but we shouldn't let them for various reasons. What is the point in letting him race then, since he has no realistic chance of winning in your opinion. Is it just for the novelty value?
For the fact that he is inspirational to others and that he wants to compete. Why ban a guy with no legs just because he's trying to compete...ridiculous imo. He wants to run, let him run...he comes last anyway.

Perm

For the fact that he is inspirational to others and that he wants to compete. Why ban a guy with no legs just because he's trying to compete...ridiculous imo. He wants to run, let him run...he comes last anyway.
So you want to let him run so he can be an inspiration for a while but ultimately lose confidence because he will be losing all the time? There are plenty of inspirational athletes that are able bodied and legitimately allowed to compete. They would ban him because his blades give him an unfair advantage.

Fiery

Banned
So you want to let him run so he can be an inspiration for a while but ultimately lose confidence because he will be losing all the time? There are plenty of inspirational athletes that are able bodied and legitimately allowed to compete. They would ban him because his blades give him an unfair advantage.
They're not giving him an unfair advantage at the moment are they? So it shouldn't be an issue. It's like banning someone born in the Clutha Valley with webbed-feet from swimming :p. Do you think they would do that?

Perm

They're not giving him an unfair advantage at the moment are they? So it shouldn't be an issue. It's like banning someone born in the Clutha Valley with webbed-feet from swimming :p. Do you think they would do that?
They are giving him an unfair advantage, it has been proven that he doesn't slow down near the end of the race like other athlets because he doesn't have real legs. It depends what level this web-footed swimmer was competing at, if it was at a competitive swim meet for Otago regionals or something, then yes I think they would ban he/she from competing.

Fiery

Banned
They are giving him an unfair advantage, it has been proven that he doesn't slow down near the end of the race like other athlets because he doesn't have real legs. It depends what level this web-footed swimmer was competing at, if it was at a competitive swim meet for Otago regionals or something, then yes I think they would ban he/she from competing.
He's coming last so it's not giving him an unfair advantage, simple. And since when has anyone been banned from a sport because of a physical abnormality? Murali plays because of it

Perm

He's coming last so it's not giving him an unfair advantage, simple. And since when has anyone been banned from a sport because of a physical abnormality? Murali plays because of it
Who said he would come last though? Besides, whether he wins or loses is fairly irrelevant because if he did start winning, then the eligibilty of his blades would come into question. Murali doesn't play because of his abnormality, he plays with it. Different story though.

Fiery

Banned
Who said he would come last though? Besides, whether he wins or loses is fairly irrelevant because if he did start winning, then the eligibilty of his blades would come into question. Murali doesn't play because of his abnormality, he plays with it. Different story though.
He's already racing against able-bodied runners and losing. The Murali argument is old so wont bother going down that road.

Perm

He's already racing against able-bodied runners and losing. The Murali argument is old so wont bother going down that road.
Like I said before, what is the point in letting him race then? Because he wants to? A poor argument IMO, when it is quite clear that he shouldn't be allowed to compete with able bodied athletes, just like Michelle Wie shouldn't be allowed to play on the men's PGA tour.