• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day XI of the year 2005

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What are your comments on this team?
  • Trescothick
  • Sangakkara
  • Dravid (C)
  • Styris (RM)
  • Inzamam
  • Dilshan
  • Irfan (LMF)
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Vettori (SLA)
  • Lee (RF)
  • McGrath (RFM)
  • RESERVE: Symonds (RM)
This year has been a miserable one for opening batsmen in ODI's with nobody standing out. Putting together a superior fielding side was difficult, given Inzamam's lack of speed and Pietersen's habit of dropping catches.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
well, if lee's bowling 'well' and isnt feeling dodgy (frustration etc) his line and length... and speed can be 'blistering'.... hes a hell good bowler when things r 'goin his way'

so lee for me, over bond ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
What are your comments on this team?
  • Trescothick
  • Sangakkara
  • Dravid (C)
  • Styris (RM)
  • Inzamam
  • Dilshan
  • Irfan (LMF)
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Vettori (SLA)
  • Lee (RF)
  • McGrath (RFM)
  • RESERVE: Symonds (RM)
This year has been a miserable one for opening batsmen in ODI's with nobody standing out. Putting together a superior fielding side was difficult, given Inzamam's lack of speed and Pietersen's habit of dropping catches.
If you're going to pick Dhoni, it surely needs to be in the position that he scored the runs to get him the call-up?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Putting together a superior fielding side was difficult, given Inzamam's lack of speed and Pietersen's habit of dropping catches.

although he only seems to drop em in Test Cricket, i actually can't remember him dropping any in ODI's, though i am probably mistaken

Ming

State 12th Man
benchmark00 said:
I dont know anyone who is better than Symonds in the field, he'd save 10+ runs every match, more than makes up for his extra 6 runs, more 'dangerous' with the bat too. Symonds over Scotty for mine.
Symonds' influence as a fielder is overrated. There isn't much difference between all the 'ring' fielders in the world now. I would say Symonds is equal to Marshall, Vincent, Gibbs, de Villiers etc. It's stupid to say he saves blah blah runs in the field, because any fielder do too.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would like to see how many runs and how many wickets some of them actually got. Averages don't always tell the full story. I would be interested to see how many wickets Lee got compared to the others.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
zinzan12 said:
Don't think that side needs the extra batting, and Bond is actually quite a useful hitter and has a firstclass 100.

As far as bowling goes, I'd take Bond everytime over Lee since Bond actually uses his Brain when he bowls
So its more or less your opinion then. I think Bond is a great bowler but there is no doubt that Lee has been the best one day bowler this year. He might go for a few more runs but he is there to get wickets at what ever costs.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
And, for what it's worth, Lee took only four wickets this year against Bangladesh. He took 14 against New Zealand, 8 against England, 7 against the World XI, 8 against the West Indies and 8 against Pakistan.
How can you argue against that ? If it is the best one-day team of 2005 then Lee should be the first bowler chosen.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
zinzan12 said:
Good arguments given have convinced me to change the above 2005 ODI team to ......

Vincent
Dhoni
Inzazman
Pietersen
Hussey
Styris
Symonds
Vettori
Lee
Bond
Mcgrath
Good man. It takes a good bloke who is able to change his opinion after hearing others.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hodgo7 said:
I think Bond is a great bowler.
We use the word great too easily nowadays but that apart, Bond is my favourite FAST bowler in the world today. I wish he was playing more regularly. Its sheer pleasure watch someone bowl at that pace AND bowl consistently well not just stupidly :) fast.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ming said:
Symonds' influence as a fielder is overrated. There isn't much difference between all the 'ring' fielders in the world now. I would say Symonds is equal to Marshall, Vincent, Gibbs, de Villiers etc. It's stupid to say he saves blah blah runs in the field, because any fielder do too.
Well why didnt you mention Styrus then? he would save 10+ more runs than Styrus alone.

Ming

State 12th Man
You haven't quite understood the art of the term 'etc' have you?

Oh so Symonds averages more than Styris by one, big deal.