• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day XI of the year 2005

Blaze

Banned
LongHopCassidy said:
So his all-round performance against the best players in the world was a complete and utter aberration then? I didn't see Styris stand up when he had his chance.

What are you on about? The super series was a farce.. He did well but Styris hasn't gone too bad either.

Styris's chance would have had to of been when he played Aus wouldn't it? He scored a century and bowled well.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ming said:
Styris is an excellent ODI allrounder, Symonds' on the other hand possesses trash bowling.
Haha, trash bowling that got him five wickets in the last test? Join the TF Ming.

I was going to put Styris in my team... and in fact, I will.

Ming

State 12th Man
5 wickets in a Test, yes. Not an innings. Many a crap bowler have taken 5 wickets in a match. Boucher shouldn't have been given out, while Gibbs and Pollock were the result of lucky and uneven bounce. Typical journeyman medium pacer. Shown by his career bowling record.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
From the little I watched of this test Symonds looked as dangerous as anyone with the ball. The 5 wickets he got were all big wickets from memory.

Gotta say he surprised me. At one stage I saw him move an outtie about 2 feet and followed it up with a huge inny. Didn't think he had it in him but if he could consistently bowl that way he'd be more than useful. Be interested to see if he can do as much on other decks though.

MacGill will be hoping so.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Statistically, I find this side very difficult to beat for 2005. The figures include those while playing for or against World XI etc also.

# Player........Runs..Avg.....Rate...100.....Wkts...Avg...E Rate...S Rate
1 Smith….. …..984 ....49.2... 86.5....4
2 Clarke…. …..954 ....53.0.....83.4....1
3 Inzemam …..874 ....54.6.....89.9....0
4 Hussey… …..587 ..146.7...100.7....0
5 Pietersen …..766 ….76.6...103.2....3
6 Dhoni….. …..895 ….49.7...103.1....2
7 Symonds …..815 ….40.7...91.1.....1.......21.....39.5.....4.8.....49.1
8 Flintoff…. …..490 ….35.0...78.3.....0......21.....27.2.....4.7.....35.1
9 Lee…….. …..156 ….39.0... XX.......0.......51.....19.9.....4.5.....26.6
10 Vettori…. ….205 ….20.5.....xx.....0.......18.....29.4......3.8.....46.7
11 McGrath........8 …...2.7....xx........0......36......18.0.....3.6.....30.0

12 Afridi..............640.........26.7...157.6...1....24.....33.6......4.7......42.5
13 Pathan...........383........34.8......88.9....0....32....25.3.......5.0......30.3

You can choose between the two super subs.. Afridi has an unbelievable scoring rate during the year. If only he was scoring about 10 runs per inings more he would be invaluable. Pathan has done much beter than one thought he had with a very strong later
part of the year.

PS Gibbs scored at a slightly higher averasge than Smith but Smith played more matches scored more runs, 4 hundreds to Gibs' 1 and scored faster.

Vettori was the most successful spinner during the year with Murali having an 'off year'.

Gilchrist had a poor year with the bat and Dhoni had a great one. If we had to go by 2005 there was no choice but to prefer the latter.

Last edited:

Ming

State 12th Man
SJS, why would you not include Styris ahead of Symonds? Styris has a lower average by ONE, but a better RPO by 0.6.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ming said:
SJS, why would you not include Styris ahead of Symonds? Styris has a lower average by ONE, but a better RPO by 0.6.
Frankly I did not look at Styris's figures. Just a slip.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Frankly I did not look at Styris's figures. Just a slip.
Okay here is the comparison between Styris and Symonds.

Batting

PLAYER...AVG....Runs/100 balls

Symonds...40.7......91.1
Styris........39.3......75.3

Bowling

PLAYER....AVG.....Runs/100 balls(conceded)

Symonds...39.5......80.6
Styris........31.4......70.6

Clearly Styris has a far better bowling record for 2005 while Symonds scores only with his much higher scoring rate. He also is a great fielder.

So it would really be a toss up depending upon what the skipper wanted. In any event the one of these two not included would be the automatic selection for the super sub. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looking at those stats, I'd take Styris any day of the week. In regards to their batting strike rate, you must take into account that Styris would have been put in rebuilding situations more often than Symonds. Anyway, taking their stats and looking at a game situation, you'd get this:

Symonds 41 (45)
Styris 39 (52)

Symonds 10-X-48-1.2
Styris 10-X-42-1.4

So Symonds is going to score 2 more runs off 7 less balls, but concede 6 more runs and have less chance of taking a wicket...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Looking at those stats, I'd take Styris any day of the week. In regards to their batting strike rate, you must take into account that Styris would have been put in rebuilding situations more often than Symonds. Anyway, taking their stats and looking at a game situation, you'd get this:

Symonds 41 (45)
Styris 39 (52)

Symonds 10-X-48-1.2
Styris 10-X-42-1.4

So Symonds is going to score 2 more runs off 7 less balls, but concede 6 more runs and have less chance of taking a wicket...
Nothing wrong with those figures.

PS : I would give some points for Symonds exceptional fielding too.

Ming

State 12th Man
Styris is well capable of scoring better than run a ball, eg 3rd ODI against Australia.

Symonds the fantastic fielder...hmmm...the one that dropped McCullum in the 3rd ODI when he was on his way to bringing NZ a victory? Styris is a handy fielder too, very good in the slips.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ming said:
Styris is well capable of scoring better than run a ball, eg 3rd ODI against Australia.

Symonds the fantastic fielder...hmmm...the one that dropped McCullum in the 3rd ODI when he was on his way to bringing NZ a victory? Styris is a handy fielder too, very good in the slips.
I agree you could choose Styris ove Symonds. Thats okay. But you cant decry Symonds fielding just because he dropped one catch, howsoever simple. :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ming said:
Everyone drops a catch occasionally. For my money, Symonds is in the top few fielders in the World.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont know anyone who is better than Symonds in the field, he'd save 10+ runs every match, more than makes up for his extra 6 runs, more 'dangerous' with the bat too. Symonds over Scotty for mine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Looking at those figures, amazed by Flintoff's SR this year - very low for a player of his reputation.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Looking at those figures, amazed by Flintoff's SR this year - very low for a player of his reputation.
Even I was amazed. He had only ONE run a ball or beter innings in the entire year out of 15 in all- his 72 in 65 balls in the firsat match in Pakistan !

Almost half of them are sub 80 !

In the last 20 innings before 2005 he had 11 of them in three digits and another 4 above 85 ! Clearly Flintoff has matured :)

Slowed down by marriage Freddie ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LongHopCassidy said:
And if he was Australian? 8-)

There's Flintoff, then Symonds, then Kallis, then Bravo, then Afridi, then Pathan, then Watson, then Styris for ODI all-rounders.
you forgot Gayle, I think. But I guess his performances this year weren't that great.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Maybe slowed down by the arrogant South African taking the role Flintoff had previously?
Quite likely but his average should have moved northwards , no ?