• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe in South Africa Thread

Chubb

International Regular
Now the England series is over, it seems a good time to start the Zim tour thread.
Zimbabwe's party is:

Barney Rogers (Mashonaland)
Stuart Matsikenyeri (Manicaland)
Brendan Taylor (Mashonaland)
Hamilton Masakadza (Mashonaland)
Tatenda Taibu *+ (Mashonaland)
Sean Williams (Matabeleland)
Gavin Ewing (Matabeleland)
Elton Chigumbura (Mashonaland)
Prosper Utseya (Mashonaland)
Graeme Cremer (Mashonaland)
Douglas Hondo (Midlands)
Tawanda Mupariwa (Matabeleland)
Tinashe Panyangara (Manicaland)
Christopher Mpofu (Mashonaland)

Dropped from Bangladesh are Dion Ebrahim (HUGE mistake, in my view) Vusi Sibanda (Just out of favour) and Mluleki Nkala (Fitness concerns). 19 year-old batsman who bowls a bit Sean Williams comes in after just one first class game. Also in is Gavin Ewing, who shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. One question- Where the hell is Mark Vermeulen??????

The first tour match is on the 16th of February against Gauteng

Zimbabwe need to look to learn from what is likely to be yet another battering. Key players for them are Taibu, Chigumbura and Rogers, who all were in good form against Bangladesh.

South Africa- Well, I don't know all that much about cricket in SA (Which makes starting this thread a big mistake probably) but I guess they'll try out some young players? or will they go full strength?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nkala is included in the Bangladesh A tour of Zimbabwe Zimbabwean squad. So I wonder why he would play in that despite not being fit.

Chubb

International Regular
That was the reason ZC gave I believe. I think maybe Nkala is the A team to improve his fitness- he bowled well enough in Bangladesh so he was probably dropped as a punitive measure. Maybe that's just the way Zimbabwe Cricket is. They were talking about taking their cars away to improve fitness and stuff.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I hope South Africa rest Kallis, Pollock and Ntini for this series.. I don't see why they should be playing with a tour of WI coming up..

Maybe a flash in the pan like Vaughn van Jaarsveld or Enoch Nkwe could get the call up, severely doubt it though.. Hopefully Charl langeveldt will be fit anyway..

Chubb

International Regular
I think they ought to rest Kallis at least and Van Jaarsveld should replacve him. How about Kemp for Pollock?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
I think they ought to rest Kallis at least and Van Jaarsveld should replacve him. How about Kemp for Pollock?
Is a possibility, yeah.. He is certainly good enough to front the attack against the Zimbos, and his batting, could be, fun!

Showing all the games on bSkyb by the way

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From what I saw, Kemp's bowling is about as good as Collingwood, tops, and that's not good enough to front an attack against anyone.

Still, look forward to him killing some children in the crowd during the ODIs.

Go South Africa!

bryce

International Regular
great news that ewing was picked and even greater news that nkala is not there

Marius

International Debutant
Zimbabwe are going to get murdered. I heard a rumour that Polly may only play as a batsman, but I am sure a number of senior players will be given a break. Ntini and Kallis will probably be given a break, and Amla and Steyn will probably fill in for them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sad to see that Amla may make a return... Sad to see that someone so lacking in technique will probably flay a few hundreds and we will have to put up with him all year..

Zimbabwe won comfortably tonight against a weakish franchise side in Potch.. Masakadza back in SA (I think he's spent a while at the UCT?)..
Blake Snijman has made an encouraging start to his career, unlucky not to get his second ton..

Marius

International Debutant
Masakadza went to Kovsies in Bloem. The team they beat was a very weak franchise team, I don't think anyone who has been playing regular franchise cricket for the Lions played in the game against the Zimbos.

Marius

International Debutant
I predict a whitewash for SA in both the Tests and ODIs, SA probably to win both Tests by an innings, unless there is rain (I reckon this would be the result if Zim plays any of the "proper" cricket nations away)

Piper

International Captain
There is no way that SA is going to lose a ODI or a test... no disrespect to Zimbabwe but they arent good enough to even come close

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It looks like South Africa may rest their players and rightfully so. Why don't the just give up making the top teams play BD and Zimabawe and just make them play A teams, cus they end up playing them anyway.

Langeveldt

Soutie
chaminda_00 said:
It looks like South Africa may rest their players and rightfully so. Why don't the just give up making the top teams play BD and Zimabawe and just make them play A teams, cus they end up playing them anyway.
Because then a team who rest a load of players like India mess up and get beaten.. Making everyone happy for a bit...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Zim trailing by three runs. The only player in that team I've heard of is Morne Morkel, and that's because he bowled about 18 no-balls in a 10-over spell in his first match...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marius said:
I predict a whitewash for SA in both the Tests and ODIs, SA probably to win both Tests by an innings, unless there is rain (I reckon this would be the result if Zim plays any of the "proper" cricket nations away)
No need for the speechmarks around the proper, there.