• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe in South Africa Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Ain't like this one matters (re DeVilliers).
No, but he'd have liked another ton at this stage of his career, I'd have thought.
Actually, the guy who did prove me wrong today was Kallis, who I thought would just take advantage of the situation to post a really big one.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Ah! Another learned source condemning Zimbabwe matches as incorrect to be counted as internationals!
Excellent stuff, TWC, excellent!
Sorry rich, you don't need to take the p*ss.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
No, but he'd have liked another ton at this stage of his career, I'd have thought.
Actually, the guy who did prove me wrong today was Kallis, who I thought would just take advantage of the situation to post a really big one.
I thought that too; the impression I've garned is of Kallis as a selfish player, right or wrong as that impression may be. To be fair tho today he played like anything but. Fastest 50 (in balls faced) of all-time no less!

If I were being hyper-critical I might ask why he didn't play like that when SA were chasing the 5th test against us.....? :D

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I thought that too; the impression I've garned is of Kallis as a selfish player, right or wrong as that impression may be. To be fair tho today he played like anything but. Fastest 50 (in balls faced) of all-time no less!

If I were being hyper-critical I might ask why he didn't play like that when SA were chasing the 5th test against us.....? :D
I was thinking exactly the same thing, and it's a fair question, even allowing for the difference in class of the attack. Still, I'm not complaining.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
BTW BB It's nice to see Ray Davies get an honourable mention in these pages. :)
Long overdue it is too! I just picked up their "Ultimate Collection" for a fiver. Already had another "Best of.." but this one had "Mr Pleasent" on it which mine didn't. After playing it once I've listened to nothing else all week.

I think he's the most quintessentially English of songwriters. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Long overdue it is too! I just picked up their "Ultimate Collection" for a fiver. Already had another "Best of.." but this one had "Mr Pleasent" on it which mine didn't. After playing it once I've listened to nothing else all week.

I think he's the most quintessentially English of songwriters. :)
Definitely. Actually, I don't know "Mr Pleasant". I'm guessing it's in similar territory to "Autumn Almanac" or even the Jam's "Smither Jones". More worryingly, I've just had a look for my copy of "20 Greatest" or whatever it's called and can't find it at all. :down:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Wonderfully done on watching how well Kallis actually bowled.
If he can repeat that he'll get some good figures that actually have some meaning before too long.
To be fair, he bowled well against England too. He didn't get the results, but he continued to plug away and did get some good ones down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
the umpires thought the scheduled finish time was 6, and thus they could play on until half six. but the finish time was actually half 5 which meant they were meant to come of at six (which is a joke anyway). So they carried on till 7 minutes past before someone got the message and they came off.
I thought Smith had claimed the extra half hour at first

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Amusing that Kallis was so keen to bowl when the Zim boys are in town... I forget what the exact phrase is that I thought was very appropriate when I heard it, something like 'red ink syndrome' (although he did only score Zimbabwe's total with the bat)?
Yes I read that he was much more keen to bowl here than when England were in town.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if Smith is regretting enforcing the follow-on so quickly now. It's starting to look like Zimbabwe might make them bat again now.