• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final at The Oval – June 7–11, 2023

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I so hate the logic always offered of 'oh we can't debut a player because the occasion is too important', which tends to go with the attitude of keeping around fossils because of their experience which makes them deserve endless chances (see: Warner, David). Can't debut someone against Australia because it's too important a series, and now obviously not in the WTC final. As a supporter of team (Australia) who never, ever, gives fringe players a go in tests, it's a good way to end up with not having replacements with at least a bit of experience when the inevitable is admitted.

I also note this logic almost always only applies to batsmen.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is not just a few sixes in IPL. He got 600+ runs in Ranji at an average of 60, has loads of international experience with a decent away record and only got in due to all the injuries and with not much back-up apart from Sarfaraz who hasn't played any test so far. So, the selectors didn't have much choice really.
Not picking youngsters because muh experience in favour of a proven failure who averages 25 in England is braindead and cowardly. Even him doing well in the final will not vindicate it, it's a failure of process.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe you just misspelt Bharat in the team you would actually pick or I am pretty bad at understanding your sarcasm. :blink:
No u r just really bad at understanding the fact that i feel they are gonna play Rahul as the keeper irrespective of the conditions and the rest of the combination. If u have followed my earlier posts in the same thread... Yaa know, context?

anil1405

International Captain
No u r just really bad at understanding the fact that i feel they are gonna play Rahul as the keeper irrespective of the conditions and the rest of the combination. If u have followed my earlier posts in the same thread... Yaa know, context?
Well it was so nice of you to still go for what the management would pick even after mentioning...."I would go with".

Socerer 01

International Captain
Why does Ranji matter now suddenly? Apparently we have no choice left now but can’t pick the guy who’s been scoring mountains of runs because why? He didn’t hit enough sixes in the IPL. If he had I’m sure he’d be picked.

Rahane’s average in the last Ranji season was the 6th best in his own team btw (he did make the most runs though).

I agree that this decision in isolation is not that bad. But when assessing how the selectors have done their job over the last 12 months, it’s clear they seemingly have no choice because of their own doing.
Rahane is top scorer only because others didn't bat in as many innings as him, otherwise he would have been overtaken. people using Rahane's stats without seeing where he scored runs are also being disingenuous, the majority of his runs came against very weak teams like Assam and Hyderabad. two innings against them account for 62% of his runs in that season. Sarfaraz scored important centuries against Tamil Nadu and Delhi and a 50 against the eventual champion while Rahane only managed 50 against Delhi when the game was being lost for them in 2nd innings

it may still work out because Rahane is feeling mentally better but that will not be down to our selectors who persisted with him for years despite being bad without getting him the help to get out of it, did not select youngsters to properly replace him and then only went back to him because every other option is injured or out of form badly at the last moment

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well it was so nice of you to still go for what the management would pick even after mentioning...."I would go with".
I dunno what is up with you but its not difficult to understand honestly. I just think its a done deal as far as this management goes and I am talking about the positions where they may still be open to change.

Burgey

Rahane is top scorer only because others didn't bat in as many innings as him, otherwise he would have been overtaken. people using Rahane's stats without seeing where he scored runs are also being disingenuous, the majority of his runs came against very weak teams like Assam and Hyderabad. two innings against them account for 62% of his runs in that season. Sarfaraz scored important centuries against Tamil Nadu and Delhi and a 50 against the eventual champion while Rahane only managed 50 against Delhi when the game was being lost for them in 2nd innings

it may still work out because Rahane is feeling mentally better but that will not be down to our selectors who persisted with him for years despite being bad without getting him the help to get out of it, did not select youngsters to properly replace him and then only went back to him because every other option is injured or out of form badly at the last moment
If you regard this as a one off I think Rahane is a decent enough selection. He’s been a genuine pain in the arse for Aus in the past and obviously likes playing against them. Not a bad about imo

Socerer 01

International Captain
If you regard this as a one off I think Rahane is a decent enough selection. He’s been a genuine pain in the arse for Aus in the past and obviously likes playing against them. Not a bad about imo
time will tell, i would be happy to be proven wrong as said earlier

the big bambino

International Captain
This is exactly the point all the why Rahane criticism has missed. I wish the Indian selectors listened to their CW fans.

Daemon

What point?

He has a poor record against Australia at home and decent one in Aus (with one of the best overseas tons for us ever, granted). Is that really so compelling that we should overlook his 2-3 years averaging 25 or whatever to play against Australia in completely different conditions where he has averaged 26 over a career?

Again, I don’t think it’s the worst decision ever but given he’s only a contender because the selectors have constantly been making bad decisions and because he did well in the IPL, it’s one that stinks in particular.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What point?

He has a poor record against Australia at home and decent one in Aus (with one of the best overseas tons for us ever, granted). Is that really so compelling that we should overlook his 2-3 years averaging 25 or whatever to play against Australia in completely different conditions where he has averaged 26 over a career?

Again, I don’t think it’s the worst decision ever but given he’s only a contender because the selectors have constantly been making bad decisions and because he did well in the IPL, it’s one that stinks in particular.
I agree on the first bit but why is it his IPL form that's got him in the squad in particular? He's gone back to ranji after getting dropped and averaged 60 for mumbai this season. He's back amongst the runs in red ball and an experienced player who's done well overseas before and has faced the moving ball a ton. Seems like a good call for a one off when the next best options are guys like sarfaraz who have fantastic ranji records but have never played international and have been worked over by quality overseas pacers in the IPL.