• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final 2021

Who do you think will win it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the event of a drawn test, the two worst players from both teams should engage in a session of yo-yo testing.

The best number wins it and the WTC trophy for his team.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’d rather see neutral tests tbh, it’s new and exciting.

Only issue would’ve been if England ended up in the top 2.
Neutral Tests would kinda make sense, but I'm not really sure for Test cricket, there really is such a thing as a neutral ground. It's not like football where pitch conditions are irrelevant. But yeah, I'd go for neutral ground as long as the host isn't preordained before the winner is decided. Perhaps the top table finisher could choose the neutral country to host the final as to suit their team?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, I think it's a perfectly valid point. Also, the team that topped the table should probably host the series.
Good point. There should be at least the home incentive for the team that tops the table.

This time it was close between India and NZ. But there can be a scenario where a team dominates all other teams for two years and clearly tops the table while other teams fight for second place. And if that team loses the final because all odds are against it, it will be a travesty.

Just for eg, if Australia dominates in next 2 years and India somehow scrapes to second place. Then, if wtc final is pre-decided to be held in India and in a spin oriented pitch, there will be a huge hue and cry.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a fairly unescapable problem with the current format. Would be fun if it were an actual tournament. Maybe with 2 pools of 4, every team plays everyone in their group, followed by 6 day semi finals and a final (with semi's to be decided on first innings lead in the event of a draw). You could get the whole thing over and done with in 6 weeks. Would never happen of course, because the only way to make it work would be to play 6 tests simultaneously (though this could be mitigated by playing half the games as day-nighters) which presumably would stretch the audience too thin and affect the profitability of the tournament (though as long as India is present, I can't imagine the format actually losing money).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it's a fairly unescapable problem with the current format. Would be fun if it were an actual tournament. Maybe with 2 pools of 4, every team plays everyone in their group, followed by 6 day semi finals and a final (with semi's to be decided on first innings lead in the event of a draw). You could get the whole thing over and done with in 6 weeks. Would never happen of course, because the only way to make it work would be to play 6 tests simultaneously (though this could be mitigated by playing half the games as day-nighters) which presumably would stretch the audience too thin and affect the profitability of the tournament (though as long as India is present, I can't imagine the format actually losing money).
I have thought about it, dunno if I ever posted it here, I may have, but the issue is you will need teams that go all the way to play like 6 tests in 6 weeks. Unless they figure out day/night 4 day tests, that will be a tough ask on teams at this point.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I have thought about it, dunno if I ever posted it here, I may have, but the issue is you will need teams that go all the way to play like 6 tests in 6 weeks. Unless they figure out day/night 4 day tests, that will be a tough ask on teams at this point.
In this format it would be a max of 5 games. The Ashes is usually played over 7 weeks yes? So we'll make my WTC format the same. Each team would have one week off at some point during the group phase - this would also help to ensure fewer games are happening at once. Then there'd be another rest week at the end of the group phase, before the semi's and final.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In this format it would be a max of 5 games. The Ashes is usually played over 7 weeks yes? So we'll make my WTC format the same. Each team would have one week off at some point during the group phase - this would also help to ensure fewer games are happening at once. Then there'd be another rest week at the end of the group phase, before the semi's and final.
It could work. its a good idea... but I think ICC usually only has like a 6 week window typically each year. So if there is a way to make it work within that span, that would be the best.

FWIW, my original plan was the top 8 teams in two groups of 4, followed by a Super 4, where you play the other two teams you did not play so far and then the finals, as it might be the fairest and it leaves each team with a max of 6 games to play and guarantees 3 games each team.

Shady Slim

International Coach
If Aussies get their act right they have a decent shout as well at 2023. Agar & Zampa are quality & have done well as spinners in India.
Batting needs to be little more positive I feel.

India is rebuilding its middle order after the debacle in 2019 when the team selections were sack worthy tbh. They are struggling in finding a quality spinner after Chahal & Kuldeep's decline though.
neither of those guys are credible options in the crunch imo - what aus would need to win the world cup is simply put for all their guns to fire and the batting to simply not be ass. obviously you can't expect haze-cummins-starc to do all the heavy lifting but point being that with that attack, as long as your batting is replacement level you ought to have a big shot

re wtc let's fking go new zealand!!

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
neither of those guys are credible options in the crunch imo - what aus would need to win the world cup is simply put for all their guns to fire and the batting to simply not be ass. obviously you can't expect haze-cummins-starc to do all the heavy lifting but point being that with that attack, as long as your batting is replacement level you ought to have a big shot

re wtc let's fking go new zealand!!
Man give me Zampa over Chahal any day of the week. The lengths he bowls are perfect for a leggie in India.
Agar can be easy to line up if there are left handers but he is not bad. In fact if Aussies want a shot at the test series in India in future he should be in the mix. Left arm spinners who bowl quicker & have a solid arm ball in their arsenal can cause trouble in India. Axar Jadeja work well in India for same reason.

For WTC I think if India picks a solid XI which is looking likely they will win. NZ failed to run through a weak English line up somehow & in Rose bowl they'll find it tough against India. Boult is key man for them.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think neutral tests are definitely the most exciting, it's new and brings a new dynamic.

Like I'd honestly love to see India vs NZ at the Adelaide. Or something similar.

Australia vs NZ at Eden Gardens. Haha.

So many good hypotheticals!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think neutral tests are definitely the most exciting, it's new and brings a new dynamic.

Like I'd honestly love to see India vs NZ at the Adelaide. Or something similar.

Australia vs NZ at Eden Gardens. Haha.

So many good hypotheticals!
I agree in some ways. But for the first ever final to be at Southampton is unfortunate considering it has no history for anything except traffic jams.