• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final 2021

Who do you think will win it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The earlier #1 ICC ranking mace meant that you had to play more tests to keep your team there. I remember BCCI suddenly adding additional tests to tours around 2009 and 2010. Now, NZC and its boss can juz enjoy scheduling 1 test series for the rest of their lives, with the new points system.
well it does need to be 2 for the points to count, and there's one 3 test series in there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well it does need to be 2 for the points to count, and there's one 3 test series in there.
Matter of time Mags :) Although I hope that "time" is after I die, really. I have grown increasingly wary of LO cricket, especially ODIs. Tests and T20s are awesome but ODIs just seem to meander along a lot more than they used to, although it may well be just personal bias here.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't like a draw being worth 4 points. I get the reasoning but some team is going to get jibbed of points due to rain. If they had an allowance to split points for weather draws, it might be fairer.

I also don't like 1 point per over penalty. If you could gain points back for being ahead, then maybe.

These are like stupid administration penalties rather than assessments of play.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Regarding over rates... The Windies would have beat most everyone, all the time on the 80s but never play a WTC due to come by out of each game with negative points.

I'm not quite sure how they apply this penalty, so maybe it's no big deal. Has anyone a link that explains this part in finer details?

Shady Slim

International Coach
To ensure the discrepancy in matches does not hurt the teams' WTC points tally, the ICC has decided to allot each match the same number of points. Under the proposed system,
wait a...

Teams will be ranked on the percentage of available points they won from the matches they have played.

that's fine then! but maybe don't put that two paragraphs down else people might not realise because it certaintly threw me at first ffs

Bijed

International Regular
I also don't like 1 point per over penalty. If you could gain points back for being ahead, then maybe.

These are like stupid administration penalties rather than assessments of play.
Yeah, there definitely needs to be a mechanism in place to stop teams taking the mickey with slow over-rates, which they could be tempted to do now that the difference between a draw/loss could be qualification for the final down the line (fines would not work (and have never worked) at all as a deterrent and even having the captain banned for the final is obviously better than just not being in it), but the penalty they're suggesting just seems out of proportion with how much it actually matters.

I'm not quite in the 'over-rates literally don't matter' camp which seems prevalent on here, obviously it's very much secondary to the actual quality of cricket but being at a match with repeated slow play and general faffing does genuinely make the viewing experience a bit more annoying imo.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I agree over rates matter. Sometimes I get my knickers in a knot though for what counts as slow. It should be something like, 'on average we expect you to bowl a team out in 1.25 days. If you go over this, then over rates matter. If you go under this, who gives a ****. I'm not really sure. I'm hoping others have better ideas, or, as asked for earlier, a link to the actual rules, because if I could read them I might find I have no issue at all and am only getting annoyed at my imaginary rules.

Victor Ian

International Coach
One thing that pisses me off is when the batting team causes the problems. Batsmen who take forever to face up, or hit way too many runs. Do the umpires take this all into account, as in, properly record all the little non bowling team time wastages. I don't know.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
OK. Aside from the level of punishment, I think I'm a bit less annoyed by the over rates thing.

And that Lords test is a perfect example of why the penalty is needed ... it was excruciating to watch England's bowling efforts at times.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Pakistan have a sneaky good chance to get to the final with that schedule. If SA are still **** by the time India tour there they have a good chance to get their first ever win there, but then again I thought the same thing in 2018.

The schedule is brutally compressed though. India tour England for 5 tests ending September 14th, then the IPL starts 5 days later and goes on till October 15th, and 2 days after that its the t20 WC in UAE which ends in mid November. And NZ tour India immediately after that. Guys like Kohli, Bumrah and Rohit will be completely broken by the end of it unless they do some sensible rotation.
Don't you know by now that in 3rd decade of 21st century only those teams win away series who play their second string side?

You should be happy now ☺