• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final 2021

Who do you think will win it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bijed

International Regular
Hmm, probably too late anyway to say it would have affected the result, but I guess any new batsmen to the crease would be under a bit of pressure still not to faff around for too long, so you never know.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nice message from Burgey on cricinfo

"I started following cricket in 1958 and remember N. Zealand ('58) and India ('59) being devoured by England. I always cheered for the underdog so I'm torn about which one I'd like to see win. I think I slightly favour N. Zealand following their loss of the WC on a technicality."

Teja.

Global Moderator
The Indian top 5 has serious issues. Figures from the beginning of 2020 till date:

View attachment 28246

The 3 most experienced batsmen - Kohli, Pujara and Rahane average in the 20s from the beginning of 2020. Kohli last scored a century in November 2019. Pujara last scored one in January 2019 in his mammoth Australia tour and since then averages 29 over 17 tests without a century. Rahane has crossed 50 only once in the last 10 tests outside of the MCG career saving century. Between them, they have scored 1 century in 27 tests since 2020 which is very troubling.

Gill was pretty good in Australia in providing starts but has looked vulnerable against early swing and overall has a spotty start to his career with that 34.3 average. Rohit dominated the England series at home but averages 27 away from home. Even in the recent Australia series, in conditions more conducive to his style of batting, he threw away several starts and averaged 32.

Pant has played a number of clutch knocks in the period but he is someone who can generally give you 80-100 runs in pressure situations in the second innings or a low scoring game but is not the guy who can be relied on to give you the slow boring foundation for a 350+ score in the first innings. We need someone in the top 5 to step up for that.

Jadeja has not played much since 2020 due to injury but has been incredibly consistent both home and away in scoring 50s with the bat in the lower order in the recent past. Since 2018, he has scored 778 runs in 16 tests @ 55.5 with 7 50s and 1 century. However, again, he is not the guy you should rely on to lay the foundation for a 350+ score.

The tldr is that our top 5 looks in bad shape which is bad news.
Bump

Top 5 weaksauce except from Rohit exceeding expectations.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Well done NZ. Brilliant effort and throughly well deserved.

India's best and most experienced 3 batsmen batting 3-5 all averaging in the 20s since 2020 over a combined 30 tests with a total of 1 century between them. Pujara no century for 19 tests. I fear we will be destroyed in England.

Bijed

International Regular
Well done NZ. Brilliant effort and throughly well deserved.

India's best and most experienced 3 batsmen batting 3-5 all averaging in the 20s since 2020 over a combined 30 tests with a total of 1 century between them. Pujara no century for 19 tests. I fear we will be destroyed in England.
There's players on both sides who might come good and make runs, but if current form continues, it could be a very low-scoring series all round.