• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* Official * WI & Eng tour of Australia

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Crazy that Stokes doesn't succeed in T20. He seems ideal for this format... In the IPL, for Rajasthan Royal, he was one of their most exciting players, alongside Buttler. Got a century.
But then, you look at his stats, and in 150 T20 matches he has 2 centuries and only 9 fifties, averaging 24,6.
So... he might not be that ideal for this format after all...
I think it's a shame Duckett is not part of the WC. He did really well in Pakistan, has played more T20 than Stokes ; is younger than him, and has an average above 30 in T20.
Stokes retired from the ODI side, so if he's dropped from the T20I side, he'll only have Test left ; where he's doing very good, so that would be ok :)

Then, about Hales... He doesn't look comfortable in my opinion. Previous match, he got MoM award, but has missed a lot of shots and could've been out on many occasions. Today's game was worse as he didn't get as lucky... He missed a few and got out. I don't feel he should be picked over Salt.

I feel England would be even better with this team :
Buttler (c) ; Salt ; Malan ; Duckett ; Brook ; Ali ; Curran ; Woakes/Willey ; Rashid, Wood ; Topley

Buttler & Salt are a destructive opening pair.
Malan can be a solid #3
Duckett & Brook have been great as #4 & #5 against Pakistan. They can rebuild & attack.
Ali can also rebuild if needed and is very powerful at the end.
Curran & Woakes/Willey can smash a few.

I've always wondered why teams don't use players like KKR (in the IPL) used Sunil Narine. It seems there are no negative points about it...? For example, why don't England send in Curran or Willey much earlier in the innings ? Maybe not opening with them, but send them at number 3 or 4. They try and hit boundaries, and if they fail, "proper" batters will come in and build their innings as usual. So they can only bring bonus runs to the team it feels....
West Indies could do with Odean Smith & Romario Shepherd ; NZ could do it with Bracewell & Southee ; Australia could do it with Cummins (he was impressive in IPL!).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Small sample size, but Brook didn't exactly light up the BBL when he played in it. I wonder if his game might not be suited to Aus conditions.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a really nerdy question, but watching highlights in Australia gets me wondering how they get the sound effect of ball on bat that sounds so much more euphoric than other countries. Glenn Phillips wacks a six and it's exciting, but someone in a Big Bash or T20I middles one straight to a fielder near the boundary and I instinctively fly out of my seat thinking it's gone 50 rows back. Must be mic manipulation in some way shape or form? Whatever it is, it definitely adds to the product.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a really nerdy question, but watching highlights in Australia gets me wondering how they get the sound effect of ball on bat that sounds so much more euphoric than other countries. Glenn Phillips wacks a six and it's exciting, but someone in a Big Bash or T20I middles one straight to a fielder near the boundary and I instinctively fly out of my seat thinking it's gone 50 rows back. Must be mic manipulation in some way shape or form? Whatever it is, it definitely adds to the product.
Haha I've always thought this too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I think it's just a "we have competent audio engineers and actually pay attention to sound engineering" thing. I remember when Star Sports flew in all their own people to do the WC 2015 coverage, the sound - crowd noises, ball-on-bat, general ambiance etc - was awful compared to what we're used to here in Australia. One thing that C9 got absolutely spot on with their coverage over the years.

EDIT: Haha yep http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/threads/2nd-match-australia-v-england.65616/page-7#post-3405917

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just that everything looks and sounds better in Australia, because everything is better in Australia. People from other countries who haven't been here for themselves unfortunately can't come to terms with it.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think it's just a "we have competent audio engineers and actually pay attention to sound engineering" thing. I remember when Star Sports flew in all their own people to do the WC 2015 coverage, the sound - crowd noises, ball-on-bat, general ambiance etc - was awful compared to what we're used to here in Australia. One thing that C9 got absolutely spot on with their coverage over the years.

EDIT: Haha yep http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/threads/2nd-match-australia-v-england.65616/page-7#post-3405917
Reminds me of something I've noticed about broadcasts from at least a couple of Indian grounds, the sound is always clipped giving that sounds-in-a-seashell whooshing kind of noise. Horrible to listen to.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Teams

Australia: Aaron Finch (c), Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

England: Jos Buttler (c & wk), Alex Hales, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, David Willey, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's been a while since I watched a game with Aussie comms but god they actually make NZ comms sound competent. I don't care how matey you are with a player or how many drinks you had when some bloke didn't get into the side, FFS it isn't your private WhatsApp group discussion, talk about the game.

And "boy didn't he have a good series in India" doesn't count as analysis

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Teams

Australia: Aaron Finch (c), Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

England: Jos Buttler (c & wk), Alex Hales, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, David Willey, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley.
Morning Chris, how many runs do you think we'll win by today?