• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have said that the Windies were ahead at tea, but England won the third session handily. Hopefully the Windies can bounce back tonight.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well if the bowlers were going to be so knackered they should have batted first. First session tomorrow with the new ball is crucial. If they come out bowling like rubbish again then this test is over

Isura

U19 Captain
Think WI need to drop Roach if Gabriel is fit. Doesn't look like he will take a wicket this summer and want to see Chemar soon.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes' consistency is remarkable. Very rare to see a balanced all rounder make contributions with bat and ball in literally every test he plays like he's doing at the moment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stokes is just awesome. Depends on how well his counterpart Holder responds now. Gabriel looked ok for those 3 overs, maybe 3-4 over bursts are all he can offer going forward this test. I think England will wind up with something around 350. Windies could get close to it, 20-30 runs either side. Then we have another great 3rd innings plays 4th innings game in the offing. FWIW, I think the pitch might actually get better for batting by Day 4 and 5.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I read that Stokes averages 50 with the bat over his last 15 tests, which I suppose takes in the whole of 2019 too. Fair effort for an all-rounder.
Hopefully that average will be on the right side of 40 soon. How good do you think Greig was?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully that average will be on the right side of 40 soon. How good do you think Greig was?
Better batsman than bowler, and he made three of the outstanding hundreds of that era. By anyone, I mean, not just by an England player. Specifically I'm talking about the first test of the 1974/75 Ashes against Lillee and Thomson when the rest of the side was already shell-shocked, at Leeds in 1976 when we just failed to chase a decent total against the WI, and at Calcutta (as was) in 1976 to set up a famous win. There were other fine innings too. His bowling was handy, but tailed off in the last few years of his career. There is a theory that his greatest moment as a bowler, when he bowled off-spin instead of medium pace to set up a series-levelling win in the Caribbean in 1974 ruined his bowling as he never really settled into one style of bowling thereafter. Also a brilliant slip fielder.

I liked him as a captain too. His win ratio wasn't great, but he was up against peak Australia and WI for his first two years in the job. And yes his 'grovel' comment was idiotic. But he did turn the side around and Brearley inherited a pretty good team from him in 1977.

Last edited:

Sanjay kumar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Exciting day 2 of Eng vs Wi, will England post a big total and put pressure on the windies batsman? Or we'll see a twist in the tale on Day 2 of this test match where England are all out under 300! Can't wait to watch how this match unfolds on Day 2

Sanjay kumar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ben Stokes completes 8000 runs in first class cricket, he also has 325 wickets. One of the best all-rounders ever in longer format.