• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't want to infuriate the "wahh fun police" crowd too much, but surely something needs to change. Maybe designated zones for Catch-A-Millioners and other zones for people who'd rather not have unco drunks landing on them?
Yeah wtf, is it just the mount crowd was a little more ****wit full?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I don't want to infuriate the "wahh fun police" crowd too much, but surely something needs to change. Maybe designated zones for Catch-A-Millioners and other zones for people who'd rather not have unco drunks landing on them?
It seems to go fine where it's a seated stadium or stand, but where it's an embankment it usually goes a bit crazy.

They could make it a two handed catch, that would make it a bit easier ... over faster ... less need to do lunatic dives ... but I guess they'd have to give away more money.

But really what I don't like is it ends up being the only thing the commentators talk about and coverage focuses on.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't give a **** about the commentators talking about it. I was more disturbed by the kid that got jumped on that they never replayed again

BeeGee

International Captain
I enjoy watching drunken idiots injure themselves trying to catch a ball as much as the next bloke, but the collateral damage just isn't worth it. It's only a matter of time before there's a serious injury to an innocent bystander.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's puerile.

People are literally jumping over their grandmother for cash.

But hey, it's in keeping with the nonsense that is T20 internationals. And the fact that anyone buys Tui suggests their marketing is working.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, see ya later West Indies - you were awful. Hope you at least produced some results off-field, although it would be a sad state of affairs if our women resorted to sleeping with the Windies C team, who can't bat bowl field or even swagger decently anymore.

Howsie

International Captain
Forget somebody being seriously hurt for a second, I’m waiting for the day where somebody bumps the wrong person out of the way, or knocks the wrong persons kid over and gets their ass whopped. Would be a good look on live tv when they cut back to show the muppet who dropped the latest catch who is now getting his head punched in.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Seems weird though, never remember this problem last time they ran it during the World Cup. But I wonder if they shouldn't do it through the T20Is? The ODIs definitely have less chances etc.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What's funnier than five orange idiots trying to catch a cricket ball one handed while holding a beer? ONE HUNDRED orange idiots packed together trying to catch a cricket ball one handed while holding a beer.

I see this has also been suggested here: Catch-A-Million should be banned before someone gets seriously hurt

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems weird though, never remember this problem last time they ran it during the World Cup. But I wonder if they shouldn't do it through the T20Is? The ODIs definitely have less chances etc.
Was that because the stadiums were generally seated - Eden Park, Cake Tin etc? Spose there might've been some horsing around at Hagley, Hamilton etc but yeah few less sixes as well.

Honestly, if some half-skunked idiot jumped across me and onto my family - like Howsie said - they'll cut back to the guy and I'll be punching his lights out. Seriously. I had originally planned to take my 3 year old last night but didn't because of the weather looking ominous. The idea that I can't because ****wits in orange shirts are going to go flying across us with no other thought than nailing 50k is putrid. Put them in their own area. Or **** can the whole thing because it's a silly sideshow to the cricket which is apparently why we're there or watching it, because T20s internationals are somehow relevant.

Mind you, David White would have the players tattooed with George Pie across their forehead for the right price. So look forward to it staying put.

I can't say how much I hate it. Colin is raining sixes and rather than focus on what is improved in his game, how he does it etc there's more focus on some neanderthal from Putaruru who thought he'd won 50k by juggling a catch.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes the fact it was played at grounds with embankments that allow running for catches instead of seated grounds makes it worse. Separating out the orange shirts from those who don't want to be near them is one option, prizes only for catches with two feet on the ground is another.

Also not being a dick, though there will always be some...

Binkley

U19 Captain
Anyway, see ya later West Indies - you were awful. Hope you at least produced some results off-field, although it would be a sad state of affairs if our women resorted to sleeping with the Windies C team, who can't bat bowl field or even swagger decently anymore.
Back in the ‘90s a great West Indian fast bowler once tried to pick up a friend of mine with the line, “wanna take me back to your place and show me the sights of Wellington”.

A few years later, a different friend ended up in the room of a West Indian fast bowler with a shaved head, only to lose her nerve when he walked out of the bathroom naked and she realised that he had (in her words) “shaved everything”.

Howsie

International Captain
Yes the fact it was played at grounds with embankments that allow running for catches instead of seated grounds makes it worse. Separating out the orange shirts from those who don't want to be near them is one option, prizes only for catches with two feet on the ground is another.

Also not being a dick, though there will always be some...
I went to plenty of games at Seddon Park during the first two years of this thing and you didn’t get crap like we saw last night. Maybe it’s because they pack you in like sardines there making it harder to get a running start but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near bad.

If NZC and Tui want this thing to continue then maybe they need to put five or six security guards up with the actual crowd, and toss people out who are flying into people. It’s assault at the end of the day, put a sign up at the entry gates and let people know that type of behaviour will see them thrown out.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Was that because the stadiums were generally seated - Eden Park, Cake Tin etc? Spose there might've been some horsing around at Hagley, Hamilton etc but yeah few less sixes as well.

Honestly, if some half-skunked idiot jumped across me and onto my family - like Howsie said - they'll cut back to the guy and I'll be punching his lights out. Seriously. I had originally planned to take my 3 year old last night but didn't because of the weather looking ominous. The idea that I can't because ****wits in orange shirts are going to go flying across us with no other thought than nailing 50k is putrid. Put them in their own area. Or **** can the whole thing because it's a silly sideshow to the cricket which is apparently why we're there or watching it, because T20s internationals are somehow relevant.

Mind you, David White would have the players tattooed with George Pie across their forehead for the right price. So look forward to it staying put.

I can't say how much I hate it. Colin is raining sixes and rather than focus on what is improved in his game, how he does it etc there's more focus on some neanderthal from Putaruru who thought he'd won 50k by juggling a catch.
Yeah I get this for sure.

Back in the day when I used to frequent Lancaster Park/Jade Stadium they had the Tui stand down one end of the ground for all the drunken yobbos (including myself) to get rowdy in. Seemed to work better for everyone as it was easier for security/police to manage. But yeah either bring that back for every ground or make a family designated zone.

Blain

U19 Captain
Should be a security thing. If there was no ball flying into the crowd, and someone did what those un coordinated tards were doing to families last night (jumping into/onto them), they would be thrown out. Same should apply. pretty easy to police right, security needs to watch where the ball lands and who is upset..

That is the responsibility of Tui/NZ cricket. I would have fumed if someone jumped on me. In saying that, there have been little trouble in all other games they have had this, I blame the BOP/Silly season..

I'll see you guys at the Basin on Saturday with that terrible shirt on, but will not be jumping on people to snag a catch.. Well, other than my mate.

thierry henry

International Coach
I wanna have a whinge about our commentary team. They are always bad but currently seem worse than ever.

Almost every boundary Munro hit last night the commentary was some combination of:

"he hasn't middled that at all"
"he's timed that horribly"
"the bowler should have done something different"
"HERE COMES ANOTHER CROWD CATCH OMG THE CATCHING IN THE CROWD IS SO BAD HAHA"

Just a horrible mixture of snarky, negative, cynical and disinterested in the game.

I know that the game has changed and that there is some truth in the "BIG BATS" "SMALL BOUNDARIES" "WINDIES SUCK" "BOWLERS SUCK" narrative, but there just seems to be a complete lack of appreciation for the feats of our own players, like we arrogantly expect Munro to go out there and hit 10 sixes. I'm a deeply cynical person myself but I expect commentators to show enthusiasm, interest in the game in front of them and to call what is happening rather than measuring it against their own preconceptions. Commentators shouldn't be going into games with an attitude of subtly discrediting the home team's achievements because they expected them to win anyway.

Richardson in particular is just an over-the-top caricature of himself now, an obnoxiously rude and negative troll squealing with delight at his own negativity about everything. He's like freakin Jerry "The King" Lawler in there. I felt bad for Ian Bishop who I sense wanted to keep bringing the commentary back to praising the NZ players but couldn't get away from Richardson screeching about terrible crowd catching and how stupid everyone apart from him is.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I found myself agreeing with all you were saying until you started talking about Richardson...then I wondered if I'd already written the post myself. Describing Richardson as a caricature of himself is exactly the description I was going to use. You nailed it.

I don't listen to the commentary now. I know cricket, and none of these guys add anything that I can't see myself. It's a shame for the general public who could stand to learn something. Styris, to be fair, is pretty good - don't mind listening to him. Coney is magic on Radio Sport when on and the ACC are piss funny. But Richardson is horrendous, Doull not much better - his rant about not calling no-balls last night was laughable - Smithy is only decent when he's trying to negate the CH9 sycophancy over the Tasman and Cumming is bland.

I think it's what happens when these guys spend too much time with each other. They end up telling rubbish personal stories, bagging on Richardson for being a bad fielder and boring batsman (that shtick is getting olllllld) and generally saying the same thing over and over (ie Jacob Oram used to be a goalie etc). Happens in a lot of sports, our rugby and league commentators are rubbish too. I'd like to know if producers tell them to dumb it down for Joe Public. I know CH9 does, and it shows. Only serves to create an ill-informed, basic viewership unable to actually see what's unfolding in front of them because no one bothers to tell them - unless they're listening to radio. It frustrates me in league because I love the game but never played, so don't know the nuances and why my team (Warriors) suck year on year. In cricket I can just mute and decide for myself.