• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This test match is the best I've seen Southee bat in a long, long time. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

cnerd123

likes this
lmao at Sunil Ambris. On the bright side, he's forever going to be remember as the answer to a cricket trivia question.

Also Trent Boult might legit be my favourite batsman going around now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This test match is the best I've seen Southee bat in a long, long time. Hope it's a sign of things to come.
Doubt it tbh. Medium pace and Chase's spin is the type of bowling Southee will give himself a chance to hit around. When it's more challenging he'll probably disappear again.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Interesting declaration from KW. not the sort of thing we might have expected from him but allowing Southee/Boult a quick crack today plus providing the element of surprise to the opposition suggests it does have its merit. As i type Powell gone!

Well deserved 17th for Ross, he's been playing very well after the India tour last year. By the sounds of it Santners shot was stupid having actually survived a working over, but the timing of the declaration means it's irrelevant in the context of this game. Not a number 6 for sure though still spin frontrunner in my book.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should come out in the wash, but unless there's dodgy weather forecast I don't understand not batting for the rest of the day and making it completely impossible for the Windies to chase down the target, as opposed to almost impossible.

Edit: 2 down now - but still :/

Howsie

International Captain
Should come out in the wash, but unless there's dodgy weather forecast I don't understand not batting for the rest of the day and making it completely impossible for the Windies to chase down the target, as opposed to almost impossible.

Heh, this batting line up isn’t chasing 400 plus to win a test match. NZ have two world class bowlers in Southee and Boult and while de Grandhomme, Santner etc aren’t they’re greatest that’s more than enough.

The Hutt Rec

Aww, Taylor's interview! :happy:

I reckon he's an extremely under-rated player, in NZ and abroad ... now averaging over 48 from 82 tests, that average is going up as well. I can see him continuing to play tests for quite a few years yet ... and I reckon that average will reach 50 in the end.

Moss

Guess he figured he could use Southee and Boult for a short burst today plus have them start fresh tomorrow. Important for the other three to back them up tomorrow, Santner especially since the questioning about his place in the side seems to be gaining momentum.

The declaration has certainly made the game a bit more interesting. No problems with it (if you can't defend 444 then fair play to the opposition), except that it's a tad disrespectful to a side that chased 400-plus against England recently.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, this batting line up isn’t chasing 400 plus to win a test match. NZ have two world class bowlers in Southee and Boult and while de Grandhomme, Santner etc aren’t they’re greatest that’s more than enough.
Sigh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Guess he figured he could use Southee and Boult for a short burst today plus have them start fresh tomorrow. Important for the other three to back them up tomorrow, Santner especially since the questioning about his place in the side seems to be gaining momentum.

The declaration has certainly made the game a bit more interesting. No problems with it (if you can't defend 444 then fair play to the opposition), except that it's a tad disrespectful to a side that chased 400-plus against England recently.
322/5 vs England, but I agree with your points

The Hutt Rec

I think it was a good declaration, and didn't find it surprising at all. On all evidence in the series there's no way the West Indies are going to get there ...this way you take weather out of the equation, and it worked well with giving NZ an afternoon and morning shot with the new ball.

I like that Williamson is getting a bit more aggressive, after a more cautious start to the captaincy last season.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I haven't watched NZ cricket on TV for some time but why do they need Craig Cumming, Ken Rutherford, Scott Styris and Kyle Mills? They sound exactly the same, so one would surely do. Perhaps Styris sounds a little more nasally than the other three but they all speak in the same soporific tone. Bring back Billy Ibadulla and John Morrison. They were also boring but at least I knew who I was listening to.

Last edited: