• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And they got a new ball wicket. After which they proceeded to open up the buffet bar for an hour and a half, before Sodhi produced one of his one out of a hundred wicket balls to stem the tide.
So you think that 10 overs of Southee and 9 overs of Boult is enough to tire them out so that they can't take wickets with a new ball?

That's rubbish.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on them, but I'd like to see that from the coach as well.
I think you're underestimating the self-criticism of the team. I have no doubt they're already absolutely kicking themselves about not winning, why would it be constructive for the coach to come out and blast them to the media?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, it seems that there's a good chance that "'E took mah Durrr!" Bracewell will be coming in for Sodhi at Wellington.
This would be a rubbish decision with Anderson playing.

Both Anderson and Sodhi bowled better than Wagner.

And the basin does turn late in the match.

Flem274*

123/5
I think this is the most swashbuckling hard hitting innings I've ever seen from the mild mannered Edmunds, and I love how Darlingface has made the same point for the last time about three times.:p

Flem274*

123/5
Also, it seems that there's a good chance that "'E took mah Durrr!" Bracewell will be coming in for Sodhi at Wellington.
Please let them only do this if it's green. Like, 1970s green. The last thing we need is both Dougeh and Wagner going at four an over with KW and Anderson still not fully fit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So you think that 10 overs of Southee and 9 overs of Boult is enough to tire them out so that they can't take wickets with a new ball?

That's rubbish.
If they were so fighting fit, how come they were taken off after 9 overs?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This would be a rubbish decision with Anderson playing.

Both Anderson and Sodhi bowled better than Wagner.

And the basin does turn late in the match.
Well if it's a proper green top like the 2009 pitch, it's unlikely to go far enough for the spinners to play a factor. Still, it'd be a big call.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well if it's a proper green top like the 2009 pitch, it's unlikely to go far enough for the spinners to play a factor. Still, it'd be a big call.
yeah we don't need 5 seamers anyway.

Would be better off playing an extra batsman.

Mike5181

International Captain
Day 1:
Boult: 0
Southee: 0

Day 2:
Boult: 8
Southee: 7

Day 3:
Boult before follow on: 10
After: 9
Total: 19

Southee before follow on: 9
After: 10
Total: 19

West Indies 168/2

Day 4
Southee: 16
Boult: 19

Day 5:
Boult: 7
Southee: 5.1

Test bowlers should be expected to bowl 15-20 overs in a day. Fatigue should have only been an issue for part of day 4, and by that time the West Indies had already well and truly performed better with the bat. There's no reason the captain shouldn't trust his bowlers to maintain their performance, or at least bowl better than they did on day 3, and early on day 4. There's nothing ridiculous about those workloads.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to predict a 0 - 0 series.

I would like to be wrong, maybe thee will be bounce in Wellington and swing in Hsmilton. But, I there this often in lead up and it ends up being a flat road.
Yeah I really wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the case. Again similar to the England series where rain affected the second test in Wellington leading to a draw and the third is played on another flat wicket, perhaps rain affected too. Makes the Dunedin not-quite-win all the more gutting as I really feel that, despite some imperfections, NZ really earned a victory there.

Even in Dunedin, game advsnced 'artificially' with half Windies team still in transit lounge, and the gift of about 100 odd bonus runs on day 1 by an out of sync bowling unit, and an awful first up batting effort, and a glorious streak of fine weather ....... We get a draw.

Got to stop playing first test in Dunedin, thus isn't 1985 anymore, get the tourists first up and rusty at a venue that swings .... Like Hamilton etc.
I think if we want to play the first test of every series on the new Dunedin surface then we should forget about winning it and just plan to score 1200/7, to really wreck the opposition bowlers and some records :happy:.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this is the most swashbuckling hard hitting innings I've ever seen from the mild mannered Edmunds
:oops:
A sad and extreme example of the effect 12 months without a test win can have on people - especially when there are so many near-misses along the way.

To quote the magnificent piece of cinema that is The Room, "You are tearing me apaaaaht, Black Caps!!!"

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While it doesn't seem to have been picked up by the mainstream media, I do find it funny that it's taken just a couple of days to go from "Ross and Brendon are best fwends 4eva and eva" back to "hugely significant problems in the dressing room".

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Day 1:
Test bowlers should be expected to bowl 15-20 overs in a day. Fatigue should have only been an issue for part of day 4, and by that time the West Indies had already well and truly performed better with the bat. There's no reason the captain shouldn't trust his bowlers to maintain their performance, or at least bowl better than they did on day 3, and early on day 4. There's nothing ridiculous about those workloads.

Case closed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On Wagner...he should definitely play at Wellington. I agree that he's somewhat miscast as a 3rd seamer and was generally dreadful at UO (even if he should have been awarded the critical wicket of Bravo). But since the only option currently on the table to replace him is Bracewell, he's still the best option immediately available. Further, Wagner has had a really quite decent last 9 months. What kind of a message would it send to the rest of the players if one bad performance is all it takes to completely cancel out 6 good ones? Wagner should be safe for the duration of this series. If he continues to let Southee and Boult down then we can reassess the other options available for the India series.

Rutherford, on the other hand, must now be very close to his last chance. To use hendrix's phrase, he spent pretty much all the credit he earnt from his first innings 50 with that horrible second innings dismissal. He needs runs at the Basin or it's time to start looking at the options to replace him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Case closed.
Team for the next match:
McCullum
Munro (9)
Williamson (7)
Vettori (6)
Watling
Bracewell (8)
Milners (5)
Sodhi (4)
Wagner (3)
Boult (2) [receives back and shoulder massage between each delivery]
Southee (1) [ice bath every three overs]

/bowlerswilldieiftheybowlmorethan10oversinaday

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
... of course the West Indies batsmen will just scream 'oh noes your bowlers are so fresh' and roll over for 200 every single time, making nine bowlers redundant, but that's fine I guess.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Team for the next match:
McCullum
Munro (9)
Williamson (7)
Vettori (6)
Watling
Bracewell (8)
Milners (5)
Sodhi (4)
Wagner (3)
Boult (2) [receives back and shoulder massage between each delivery]
Southee (1) [ice bath every three overs]

/bowlerswilldieiftheybowlmorethan10oversinaday
Silly billy, Vettori can't play yet. And what'd Anderson do to deserve getting dropped?