• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They are like 20 million points ahead of us on the rankings.
I don't know about "embarrassed" but losing a home Test series to the West Indies would definitely be a bad result for New Zealand. No disrespect to the West Indies in saying that either. You should be looking to at least draw series at home against similar opposition. It wouldn't be embarrassing, but in no way should New Zealand walk away this series thinking "oh well, they're better than us" if they lose. No way.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Losing to WI without Roach and Rampual at home would be quite **** really, especially after how well they played last summer against England

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Embarassment should be avoided surely! This kiwi side is up to the level they need to get the job done. Unless they have trouble finishing if they get into a position to win a la Australia of the English Ashes series.
I think New Zealand should feel confident, unless ofcourse Shiv or Bravo turn up for the series. I don't think the Windies attack is all that threatening particularly in comparison to NZ but this first test without Kain could be tough.
I'm looking forward to this first test

Beamer

The more I think about this test the more I come to the conclusion that it is going to be an absolute disaster for us. I think New Zealand will win in just under 4 days. Let's examine the facts:

- The majority of our team arrived in New Zealand on Saturday evening.
- Dunedin is about as far away from India as it gets in terms of cricketing conditions
- Our gun spinner has just had his bowling action tested and will probably not be able to play. Even if he does, he won't be able to bowl the doosra.
- Chris Gayle is injured. He averages 70 against New Zealand. His replacement has not even arrived yet
- This means that Kirk Edwards has to play. He is not an opening batsman and struggled mightily the last time he played in similar conditions to these.
- Sunil Narine and Denesh Ramdin both have flu, it's not 100% certain that they will be able to play either
- Our two World Class seam bowlers are out injured/not selected. Rampaul would have really thrived in these conditions against this batting lineup IMHO. Huge blow.

When you put all that together, it will be miraculous if we draw or win this test, all the odds are stacked in New Zealand's favour. Basically, two of the middle order batsmen are going to have to have an absolute stormer if we are to do well in the 1st test. Here's hoping for a Darren Bravo cover driving masterclass...........

Beamer

Btw apparently Nigel Llong is umpiring in this test. He was absolutely awful in India, let's hope he ups his performance considerably in this series.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Btw apparently Nigel Llong is umpiring in this test. He was absolutely awful in India, let's hope he ups his performance considerably in this series.
We do have DRS in this series so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

BeeGee

International Captain
The more I think about this test the more I come to the conclusion that it is going to be an absolute disaster for us. I think New Zealand will win in just under 4 days. Let's examine the facts:

- The majority of our team arrived in New Zealand on Saturday evening.
- Dunedin is about as far away from India as it gets in terms of cricketing conditions
- Our gun spinner has just had his bowling action tested and will probably not be able to play. Even if he does, he won't be able to bowl the doosra.
- Chris Gayle is injured. He averages 70 against New Zealand. His replacement has not even arrived yet
- This means that Kirk Edwards has to play. He is not an opening batsman and struggled mightily the last time he played in similar conditions to these.
- Sunil Narine and Denesh Ramdin both have flu, it's not 100% certain that they will be able to play either
- Our two World Class seam bowlers are out injured/not selected. Rampaul would have really thrived in these conditions against this batting lineup IMHO. Huge blow.

When you put all that together, it will be miraculous if we draw or win this test, all the odds are stacked in New Zealand's favour. Basically, two of the middle order batsmen are going to have to have an absolute stormer if we are to do well in the 1st test. Here's hoping for a Darren Bravo cover driving masterclass...........
On paper it looks bad for the WI, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. Let's not forget NZ have just come from a drawn series against Bangladesh. Our top order are either crap or out of form (or both). I'd give my left nut to have batsmen like Bravo and Chanderpaul in NZ's lineup.

Beamer

On paper it looks bad for the WI, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. Let's not forget NZ have just come from a drawn series against Bangladesh. Our top order are either crap or out of form (or both). I'd give my left nut to have batsmen like Bravo and Chanderpaul in NZ's lineup.
I think New Zealand's batting is actually worse than ours in most situations. But we're missing Gayle and Shiv is the only one who got any warm up time in the tour match. It's also going to be a tough ask to combat swing and seam when we've just been struggling terribly against pitches keeping low and turning square. The WICB have screwed this one up big time, what awful scheduling.

New Zealand's seamers are miles ahead of ours as well. If we had Roach and Rampaul I wouldn't say that, but Southee, Boult and Wagner are far superior to Best, Gabriel and Sammy. It's going to be a very difficult first test.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Historically our batsman struggle against genuine pace as they don't get to see any of it domestically, if Best can crank it up will cause issues especially for the oldies, Redmond, Fulton, McCullum

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Historically our batsman struggle against genuine pace as they don't get to see any of it domestically, if Best can crank it up will cause issues especially for the oldies, Redmond, Fulton, McCullum
Fulton and McCullum didn't have any problems biffing around Finn's pies last season. He'll need to do more than just be fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given that this starts in half an hour, and the SL tour has been finished for 2 weeks, it might be time to sticky this thread, and take down the Bang/SL tour thread?

BeeGee

International Captain
Given that this starts in half an hour, and the SL tour has been finished for 2 weeks, it might be time to sticky this thread, and take down the Bang/SL tour thread?
The mods don't care about us. :cry:

They're probably all in the ashes thread talking smack.

Last edited:

Immenso

Good luck Aaron Redmond, a bit surprised there wasn't more Redmond v Papps debate once Brownlie was discarded. But I would have been happy with either, and Redmond for a likely one-off on his home ground makes sense.

TBH, I'm loving this trend of 34 year old Plunket shield champs getting test recalls and call ups.