• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't hate it. I enjoy a good World Cup (which sadly we haven't had for 8 years and won't for at least another 4).

There's no point picking Lewis now IMO, we won't be saying "ah, but we won 4 games in 2008" when we go out in the first round again in 2011.
I really hate it, in all sports. The entire sport doesn't revolve around one tournament - especially when it only comes around once every four years - and especially when it could well be as big of a letdown as our last one was. I do enjoy World Cups, but I'd honestly rather they didn't exist in a lot of sports, simply because of the mindset that goes along with them and building for them. You should always do your best, with selection, to win each and every game - IMO it should actually be a law within the ICC rules. You basically end up with four years of games that mean nothing really, along with tournaments against teams that have rested four players and tournaments where your own side does the same.

You're right - people won't think back to 2008 when their team gets bundled out in 2011, but I also don't think people would look back to 2011 (if they made the semi finals, lets say) if they lost 7 games straight in 2013. Games should matter, or they simply shouldn't be played, IMO. Only having games that actually count once every four years and using the other games to prepare for those is a complete farce.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really hate it, in all sports. The entire sport doesn't revolve around one tournament - especially when it only comes around once every four years - and especially when it could well be as big of a letdown as our last one was. I do enjoy World Cups, but I'd honestly rather they didn't exist in a lot of sports, simply because of the mindset that goes along with them and building for them. You should always do your best, with selection, to win each and every game - IMO it should actually be a law within the ICC rules. You basically end up with four years of games that mean nothing really, along with tournaments against teams that have rested four players and tournaments where your own side does the same.

You're right - people won't think back to 2008 when their team gets bundled out in 2011, but I also don't think people would look back to 2011 (if they made the semi finals, lets say) if they lost 7 games straight in 2013. Games should matter, or they simply shouldn't be played, IMO. Only having games that actually count once every four years and using the other games to prepare for those is a complete farce.
Of course they matter, though - they're the only way you're going to build a good side for the next Cup. Every game is indeed vital. Not winning it as such, but cricket's always been about more than simple win\lose in any form, anyway.

The way I've always looked at it, if there was no World Cup, it's highly unlikely ODIs would ever have started being played much. So I don't know whether ODI cricket would be better without the tournament, really.

I have said, plenty of times, that I'd like to see a biennial World Cup, as that tournament is, as Matthew Engel put it in 1999 when I first heard the suggestion, "cricket's most glittering showpiece". That would mean the "won't be around for the next Cup" period would be significantly shorter. I've also said, of course, that there are far too many ODI tournaments, especially one\two-round triangulars and 2\3-match bilaterals, and that seeing 4 or 5 players rested does mean they fail to remotely match the credibility of tournaments\series where a stronger side is put-out.

Nonetheless, I'm always in favour of aiming for a World Cup ahead of trying to win a series such as the just-concluded. Even if it does mean trying to look 4 years down the line.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If I only knew what?.:unsure:
That part was in jest.

Though last time James had a short break, unfortunately, there was some large-scale problem and there were a few days when the site was absurdly slow and down. Rich worked very hard to chase people up and get the thing sorted, but it did take a while.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Your are joking right?. "Plenty and plenty of work behind the scenes" is easily naughtesque and is extremely funny imo.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah gonna have to agree with Richard here. Thomas and I came to the conclusion last night that there needs to be some sort of naughty license, ala the pen license in primary school.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah gonna have to agree with Richard here. Thomas and I came to the conclusion last night that there needs to be some sort of naughty license, ala the pen license in primary school.
Fair dinkum.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dire and :naughty: licenses shall be completely separate.

And way to steal my gag.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I don't hate it. I enjoy a good World Cup (which sadly we haven't had for 8 years and won't for at least another 4).

There's no point picking Lewis now IMO, we won't be saying "ah, but we won 4 games in 2008" when we go out in the first round again in 2011.
Do you mean a good WC for England or a good WC in terms of the cricket played? Because England have not had a good WC for FIFTEEN years (and it will be NINETEEN by the time the next one comes)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good WC all around. WC99 was a super tournament, just a shame England (like Lanka) were poor.