• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
A full strength odi team imo should be...

Marcus Trescothick
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Matt Prior
Dmitri Masceranhas
Jon Lewis
Monty Panesar
James Anderson
No - I'd have Broad at eight over "no wickets" Mascarenas. If we have Freddie and Bopara fit we don't need him. The rest of that team I wouldn't mind except for Bell opening.. Bell has played 47 ODIs now with a poor strike rate and no hundreds. He doesn't score quick cameos, and he doesn't bat for say, 45 overs to get an innings anchoring 100. An ODI opener has to do one or the other IMO. Wether Cook could do any better is debatable but he's had five matches. I don't think that's long enough to write him off as an ODI player alltogrther.

FBU

International Debutant
Hurray for the Windies. This England ODI squad is pretty bad. They might think about getting Strauss,Vaughn and Trescothick back. Its amazing how England blow a$$ in ODI cricket. WI really need to work on their fitness to get competitive in Test cricket and they need a quality spinner. The most outa shape player in the tests was Collymore.

I wonder who they're gonna let go once Sarwan comes back. I'm guessing Devon Smith but then who will open. Shiv aint cuz they want a player who will partner Gayle in the future. I'm still not too sure about Dwane Smith either. Might want to replace him with Sammy unless Smith can bat. Either than that the bowling attack is looking pretty solid.

I'm still pissed at Darren Powell for the way he bowled against SA in the WC when AB DeVilliers took him to town. He looked like an f'ing ****** bowling length deliveries over and over again as AB hit then to all parts of the ground. He'll have to get a few more match winning performances in if he is to redeem himself in my book. I was still preferring Jerome Taylor but Taylor's still young and he has potential. I am happiest for Fidel Edwards. Hopefully he can be injury free and be consistent.

WI have some really tough tours coming up though with Sl and SA. Hoping they can perform well and win.
It's amazing what attacking batting does to bowlers. Even the very best can be made to look useless. Powell was lucky to bowl to the England tentative batting line up. Had our bowlers the chance to face our top 6 I am sure they also would have also picked up very easy wickets. The West Indies have attacking batsmen all the way down the line not just one or two. They need to carry on playing like that whoever they face.

Swervy

International Captain
It's amazing what attacking batting does to bowlers. Even the very best can be made to look useless. Powell was lucky to bowl to the England tentative batting line up. Had our bowlers the chance to face our top 6 I am sure they also would have also picked up very easy wickets. The West Indies have attacking batsmen all the way down the line not just one or two. They need to carry on playing like that whoever they face.
This is a very good point, and it is something worth bearing in mind when assessing the current state of bowling throughout the world when compared to previous times.

Aggressive/Attacking batting is very hard to bowl to, and through all formats of the game, batting is a much more aggressive thing these days, (for me THE catalyst for the way things have gone say in the test arena is the arrival of Gilchrist, he changed things probably more than many would like to give credit for). Its why I am not overly convinced that that standards have dropped as much as people think, I think there has been just a change in batting philosophy. ....I might be wrong of course:laugh:

Re: England, I think they think about it TOO much...batting looks like such a chore for England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
West indies deserved to win - and England have a lot to think about in the middle overs. WI have Fidel Edwards - a wicket-taker - to bowl there and we have Mascarenas and Collingwood (who aren't). So of course the Windies get to the last 10 overs with wickets in hand - and we don't. When will our selectors learn that no batsman can score at any rate when he is out? It is all very well trying to contain batsmen but if good/great players stays in he will score runs. Looks like back to the drawing board again....
And they would have been out, virtually every one of them - but for dropped catches...

It was dropped catches far more than "defensive" bowling that cost.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aggressive/Attacking batting is very hard to bowl to, and through all formats of the game, batting is a much more aggressive thing these days, (for me THE catalyst for the way things have gone say in the test arena is the arrival of Gilchrist, he changed things probably more than many would like to give credit for).
IMO the biggest catalyst was Michael Slater, not Gilchrist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aggressive/Attacking batting is very hard to bowl to, and through all formats of the game, batting is a much more aggressive thing these days. Its why I am not overly convinced that that standards have dropped as much as people think, I think there has been just a change in batting philosophy. ....I might be wrong of course:laugh:
Of course, it's so simple.

You wonder, then, why people didn't do that absurdly easy thing of pick lots of strokeplayers before 2001, then?

Bowling standards at most times wouldn't have allowed such strokeplay. The bowler, not the batsman, controls the game. Without balls to play shots to, shots cannot be played.

It makes no sense, at all, for strokeplaying batting to have been the thing that's changed. Poorer bowling leads to more strokes being able to be played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A full strength odi team imo should be...

Marcus Trescothick
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Matt Prior
Dmitri Masceranhas
Jon Lewis
Monty Panesar
James Anderson
Can't see any point picking Lewis now, he's highly unlikely to be around in 2011.

Bopara, presumably, will come back in when fit but as I say, I'm not yet sold on him. If I had to pick him or Afzaal, I'd pick Afzaal every time.

Plunkett's currently got a more compelling case than Panesar, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't hate it. I enjoy a good World Cup (which sadly we haven't had for 8 years and won't for at least another 4).

There's no point picking Lewis now IMO, we won't be saying "ah, but we won 4 games in 2008" when we go out in the first round again in 2011.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't hate it. I enjoy a good World Cup (which sadly we haven't had for 8 years and won't for at least another 4).
Richard, I think you misread what I said. I suggested that I personally don't like one day cricket as you are always looking four years on from now to the next World Cup which is unlike Test match cricket of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, I think you misread what I said. I suggested that I personally don't like one day cricket as you are always looking four years on from now to the next World Cup which is unlike Test match cricket of course.
No, no, I understood what you said. I just said I don't dislike it, I enjoy that unique nature of ODI cricket.

Not as much as I enjoy Tests, of course, and they're all about the here and now, but there is something enjoyable in trying to build a team for 4, 3, 2 and 1 years' time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jeez, someone's in a good mood this evening... :wacko:
No, someone's spent half an hour looking for a free flowchart program and another hour learning how to use it so that he doesn't teach crap science lessons for a week, on the back of 194 overs of cricket in the weekend, and as a result is knackered and not looking forward to 7am tomorrow morning.