• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in Bangladesh 2021

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Yeah for sure. He's done a fair bit of batting in the top 3 domestically too.

The issue is that Dowrich kind of isn't, nor is his keeping exceptional. I can see JdS just taking his place tbh.
Nah Dowrich averaging 35 since the beginning of 2018 is an absolute lock in the West Indies side for mine. Never will be a world beater but can really dig in and let the tail wag.

They both already got dropped a couple of series back. It's Bravo, Brooks and Campbell who will be feeling the heat now.
As far as I know Hetmyer hasn't made himself available for selection due to Covid, not that he was dropped.

EDIT: Oh actually it seems he was available for the NZ tests. I guess Brooks did enough to hold his spot from England but wouldn't surprise me if Hetmyer came back in.

Kirkut

International Regular
Amazing win! Didn't know that this series was on. Chasing 4th innings in subcontinent is always hard for non Asian teams.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Amazing win! Didn't know that this series was on. Chasing 4th innings in subcontinent is always hard for non Asian teams.
To be fair, I always felt Windies were better at playing spin than they usually get credit for, especially if it is not a raging turner. Coz they usually have the big shots to put pressure on them.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, I always felt Windies were better at playing spin than they usually get credit for, especially if it is not a raging turner. Coz they usually have the big shots to put pressure on them.
Pretty sure the windies are typically garbage against spin

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Their home pitches, particularly in domestic cricket, rag as well, so they're well-versed in batting in those sort of conditions. I know the standard of batting isn't that great but Nikita Miller doesn't take 500 First Class wickets @15 on roads.

The fact that it was Mayers specifically did surprise me though... not because I don't rate him, but because whenever I've watched him bat he's looked much better against pace than spin to me. He even ended up opening in the CPL because he kept smashing the quicks but getting out to spinners. I even started to ponder whether the bunsens he was playing on were the reason for his disappointing First Class batting record - so much for that theory!

Kirkut

International Regular
True. Chasing against Mehidy and Shakib is always hard in my opinion and if Mustafizur can reverse the ball, it will be challenging for any non Asian team.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
West Indies domestic cricket was crazy for a while, as a spinner you would have to be seroiusly terrible to average anything above 24ish with the ball in any given season. I put that down partly to substandard batting, but mainly down to even worse pitch standards

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
True. Chasing against Mehidy and Shakib is always hard in my opinion and if Mustafizur can reverse the ball, it will be challenging for any non Asian team.
Shakib got injured during the first innings and didn't bowl in the second, or Bangladesh would've won for sure IMO. Not to take anything away from how amazing that chase was on a turning pitch against three good spinners and the Fizz, but yeah.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The fact that it was Mayers specifically did surprise me though... not because I don't rate him, but because whenever I've watched him bat he's looked much better against pace than spin to me. He even ended up opening in the CPL because he kept smashing the quicks but getting out to spinners. I even started to ponder whether the bunsens he was playing on were the reason for his disappointing First Class batting record - so much for that theory!
This is what excited me most about yesterday to be honest. How he has improved so much, particularly against off spin, after just 2 weeks working with the batting coach. We already knew he is basically a destroyer of pace bowling and picks up length so quickly, but to play that well against spin was amazing. I'm very excited to see what he does in the next few test series now.

I'm also looking forward to seeing him bowl in conditions that help swing bowling as he has a huge in-swinger when he's fully fit and firing.