• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in Bangladesh 2021

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Schedule

January 10: West Indies arrive

January 18: One-Day warm-up match, BKSP, Savar

January 20: 1st ODI, SBNCS, Dhaka

January 22: 2nd ODI, SBNCS, Dhaka

January 25: 3rd ODI, ZACS, Chattogram

January 28-31: Four-Day warm-up, M.A. Aziz Stadium, Chattogram

February 3-7: 1st Test Match, ZACS, Chattogram

February 11-15: 2nd Test Match, SBNCS, Dhaka

Beamer

They are selecting a squad of 25 to play both tests and ODI's.

Apparently 8 players have opted out. Can't blame them as they have been living in hotel rooms since June.

Will be interesting to see what squad they come up with. At least we should see some new players, which is much needed, particularly for the test team.

Beamer

The squads will be something to look forward to...if we continue to take these backward minded—-not test cricket oriented players...We need a fresh mindset to brand our cricket.

We need to rise again.
I agree, it's one of the main reasons why I would like to see a middle order of Hety, Pooran and Blackwood. Let's impose ourselves on the opposition, I'm so fed up of this meek stuck on the crease approach.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There’s been some cricket in Barbados and Trinidad where they have been playing white ball cricket...
Heard Shai Hope been in pristine form.

One of the under-19 boys as well, I think it’s Forde

Beamer

There’s been some cricket in Barbados and Trinidad where they have been playing white ball cricket...
Heard Shai Hope been in pristine form.

One of the under-19 boys as well, I think it’s Forde
Hearing that Shai got offered the captaincy but turned it down when they wouldn't select the players he wanted. All rumours of course.

SillyCowCorner1

Okay, so they have just named the Windies squads.

West Indies Test Squad

Kraigg Brathwaite (captain)
Jermaine Blackwood (vice-captain)
Nkrumah Bonner
John Campbell
Rahkeem Cornwall
Joshua Da Silva
Shannon Gabriel
Kavem Hodge
Alzarri Joseph
Kyle Mayers
Shayne Moseley
Veerasammy Permaul
Kemar Roach
Raymon Reifer
Jomel Warrican

West Indies ODI Squad
Jason Mohammed (captain)
Sunil Ambris (vice-captain)
Nkrumah Bonner
Joshua Da Silva
Jahmar Hamilton
Chemar Holder
Akeal Hosein
Alzarri Joseph
Kyle Mayers
Andre McCarthy
Kjorn Ottley
Rovman Powell
Raymon Reifer
Romario Shepherd
Hayden Walsh jr

SillyCowCorner1

These guys opt out: Jason Holder, Kieron Pollard, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, Roston Chase, Sheldon Cottrell, Evin Lewis, Shai Hope, Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran...and the pair of Dowrich and Fabien Allen cited personal reason for their unavailability.

SillyCowCorner1

So, with the opting out of certain big-name players...we have some new faces and familiar faces making a return.

Kavem Hodge- I have watched his 100* against us earlier in the year, where he and Devon Smith batted the Windwards to safety. He can bowl a little as well (SLA)

Shayne Moseley- he was among the runs in the A team game a few weeks ago against NZ A. Kraigg's opening partner. I''d personally drop Campbell down the order, so at some stage he can bat with Blackwood (imagine this).

Kyle Mayers- This is one guy I hope to see score some runs. He plays well on the off-side. His record against spin, I'm not too comfortable with.

Permaul- needs no introduction. This year I think Permaul has shown us more of his guile and variations. He flights it more and his arm ball is better now.

I like this squad.

SillyCowCorner1

Roach comes back and Chemar gets pushed out of the test squad and into the ODI...that's a rather interesting move.

Beamer

Okay, so they have just named the Windies squads.

West Indies Test Squad

Kraigg Brathwaite (captain)
Jermaine Blackwood (vice-captain)
Nkrumah Bonner
John Campbell
Rahkeem Cornwall
Joshua Da Silva
Shannon Gabriel
Kavem Hodge
Alzarri Joseph
Kyle Mayers
Shayne Moseley
Veerasammy Permaul
Kemar Roach
Raymon Reifer
Jomel Warrican

West Indies ODI Squad
Jason Mohammed (captain)
Sunil Ambris (vice-captain)
Nkrumah Bonner
Joshua Da Silva
Jahmar Hamilton
Chemar Holder
Akeal Hosein
Alzarri Joseph
Kyle Mayers
Andre McCarthy
Kjorn Ottley
Rovman Powell
Raymon Reifer
Romario Shepherd
Hayden Walsh jr
I can live with the test squad and given those that pulled out and the non performance of the test batsmen minus Blackwood, it is good to see done new names get opportunities. I genuinely don't think the batting will he worse and the bowling is only missing Jason Holder.

That ODI side though.... It's a truly awful batting lineup, missing the entire first choice order.

Beamer

So my first choice XI for each.....

Tests:

Braithwaite (c)
Campbell
Mosely
Bonner
Blackwood
Da Silva (wk)
Reifer
Cornwall
Permaul
Roach
Gabriel

ODI

Ambris
Mayers
Powell
Mohammed (c)
McCarthy
Da Silva (wk)
Ottley
Hossain
Shepherd
Joseph
Walsh Jr

JOJOXI

Interesting squads, expecting to lose Test and ODI series but as long as players remain safe re Covid see it as only an opportunity to gain something, one or 2 players may make a claim for future squads. Felt dropping Dowrich would be harsh but whilst not ideal situation it's good that decision is avoided and Da Silva can bat in middle order.

Just hope fans are patient with this squad, these players could easily have thought - weakened squad, a series that will probably be lost (especially the ODIs), a squad that will be heavily criticised, why travel and take any risk with Covid.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Surprised Ambris hasnt been included in the test squad too, would have been a good opportunity to give him another try.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

My likely Odi lineup:

1. Sunil Ambris (vice-captain)
2. Joshua Da Silva (wk)
3. Kyle Mayers
4. Jason Mohammed (captain)
5. Rovman Powell
6. Raymon Reifer
7. Romario Shepherd
8. Alzarri Joseph
9. Chemar Holder
10.Hayden Walsh jr
11. Akeal Hosein

Bench:
Kjorn Ottley
Jahmar Hamilton
Nkrumah Bonner
Andre McCarthy

Looking at my eleven and you would say why so many all-rounders? I think scoring will be hard...and at some point in the innings, we will be a lot of wickets down, and we'll need to push on with hitters down the order. Da Silva is an opening batsman, so that's where he belongs. Opening the bowling with Akeal Hosein might be a good option for Jason Mohammed (I think they both play for the same club in Trinidad). Hayden Walsh in the middle overs; I might give him an over in the powerplay if needed. Chemar and Shepherd are bowlers who bowl consistent line and length...Shepherd gets the new ball. Kyle Mayers has to prove his worth...Been bossing curry goat cricket in the Caribbean for a while now. With this squad, there's a lot of room for experimentation, which is exactly what I'm doing.