• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**VB Series 2005 Australia,Pakistan,West Indies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see any reason why the West Indies or Pakistan couldn't win the series, given the structure of the tournament and the nature of both those teams. They both run hot and cold, and on their day can beat any team in the world. Even if they lose all their matches against Australia in the group stages, it is only a matter of finding enough form to win two of three matches in the finals.

Hoping for a West Indies win, or hoping at least that they perform well enough to suggest that the Champions' Trophy win wasn't a one-off. Their batsmen are capable of chasing virtually anything, so it will really depend on their bowling - disappointing that they couldn't find room in their squad for at least one tearaway such as Best or Edwards, even if they only played a few games. As it is, the only bowlers that they can really depend on to consistently bowl well (IMO) are Bradshaw, Bravo and Gayle. It will be very interesting however to see how well Reon King plays after 3 or 4 years out of international cricket.

Beleg

International Regular
Hoping for Pakistan to win. due to the decidedly unpredictable nature of ODI cricket Aus isn't as ahead of other teams as it is in tests, so anything can happen.

also hoping for a WI vs. Pk final. :) Repeat of 96/97 series.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Hoping for Pakistan to win. due to the decidedly unpredictable nature of ODI cricket Aus isn't as ahead of other teams as it is in tests, so anything can happen.

also hoping for a WI vs. Pk final. :) Repeat of 96/97 series.
Dream on, Steven Tyler.

Windies and Pakistan are shadows of their teams at that time, and Australia is far, far better.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Will be extremely surprised if the above transpired. The West Indies is at least as good a bet to beat Australia as Pakistan is.
i just think Shoaib will destroy us once and one other time they will escape in a close one...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
What role is he likely to have in the side?

Is it still likely to be number 7/8?
I dont see how he can possibly have a blinder batting that low..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm actually tipping a very tight series between all three teams. Bennett King will have the Windies primed and if they stay injury free they have a very experienced and talented side. Hopefully the fielders back up the tireless efforts that Merv Dillon put in.

Pakistan are just as likely to be world beaters in the VB series, or complete duds. They have the temprament perfect for One Day cricket, and if they get support from their bowlers they will be competitive.

Australia have most to lose IMO. As there ODI side & Test side have become closer they will be more tired. Clarke is struggling in the test side, and this is his first full time season in Australian colours, so it will be intersting to see how he goes. The only 'freshness' that will be brough into the side is Lee, Katich, Hogg (unfortunately) & hopefully Hopes.

Should be a good series.

Beleg

International Regular
Dream on, Steven Tyler.

Windies and Pakistan are shadows of their teams at that time, and Australia is far, far better.
Pakistan maybe a shadow of the team they once were [in the recent past], but If I am not wrong most people consider the current Windie team to be among the best they have fielded in the recent years.

This doesn't change the fact that both Pakistan and West Indies have players who have the potential of turning the match on its head. a couple of good ten over spells, some thrify bowling, a blazing knock or two and you have won your match. [without necessarily being the best/highest potential team] And I haven't seen a single Aussie bowler which stands out heads and shoulders above the others [in both team] in ODI's and who is virtually unplayable. [on a good, solid batting pitch [anything like the current run-fest in sydney] the aussie bowling is more liable to suffer due to compartive pace difference unless Lee plays]

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Pakistan maybe a shadow of the team they once were [in the recent past], but If I am not wrong most people consider the current Windie team to be among the best they have fielded in the recent years.

This doesn't change the fact that both Pakistan and West Indies have players who have the potential of turning the match on its head. a couple of good ten over spells, some thrify bowling, a blazing knock or two and you have won your match. [without necessarily being the best/highest potential team] And I haven't seen a single Aussie bowler which stands out heads and shoulders above the others [in both team] in ODI's and who is virtually unplayable. [on a good, solid batting pitch [anything like the current run-fest in sydney] the aussie bowling is more liable to suffer due to compartive pace difference unless Lee plays]
You're a clown if you think Australia are favourites to miss out on the final though.

Beleg

International Regular
You're a clown if you think Australia are favourites to miss out on the final though.
Don't through around red-herrings. Where did I say they aren't/are the favorites? I said I was hoping for a Pak vs. WI final. What's wrong with that?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Don't through around red-herrings. Where did I say they aren't/are the favorites? I said I was hoping for a Pak vs. WI final. What's wrong with that?
Nothing, I just mean don't get your hopes up.