• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test (Headingley, Leeds) 6–10 July

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stokes really has been brainwashed by Bazball

Stokes says winless England are in 'perfect situation'
Despite slipping to 0-2 down in the Ashes, the England captain believes they have a 'better opportunity' than ever before to win back the urn

Honestly, not saying there haven’t been some silly quotes but digging him out for this sort of comment is stupid IMO. He’s just trying to make sure they don’t fall into a negative mindset, which we’ve all seen all too often at 2-0 down in the Ashes (away from home, admittedly).

I mean what do you want him to say, ‘oh we’re really ****ed now’

Qlder

International 12th Man
Yeah get the actual quote instead of the sound bite maybe
The actual quote

"It's actually very exciting to know that the way in which we are playing our cricket couldn't be more perfect for the situation we find ourselves in," Stokes told reporters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The actual quote

"It's actually very exciting to know that the way in which we are playing our cricket couldn't be more perfect for the situation we find ourselves in," Stokes told reporters
Yeah. Imagine showing your team some belief in public. He could come out slating them I guess.

I’m sure there’s some different messaging behind the scenes.

Qlder

International 12th Man
Looking forward to Aus having their best tail in quite a while as well as having 2 fresh bowlers with the 3 day break

8. Neser
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Murphy

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The thing about Stokes' bravado I don't get is there's a pretty fair chance at least one of the remaining three Tests is impacted by rain. It's happened with pretty much every Ashes series in England I can recall (think 1993 was a rare exception).

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly, not saying there haven’t been some silly quotes but digging him out for this sort of comment is stupid IMO. He’s just trying to make sure they don’t fall into a negative mindset, which we’ve all seen all too often at 2-0 down in the Ashes (away from home, admittedly).

Yeah when you see the context of what he said I don't really see why people would have a problem with it. And there was an acknowledgement that they can't be completely one-note in their game style so, you know, progress.

Spark

Global Moderator
The thing about Stokes' bravado I don't get is there's a pretty fair chance at least one of the remaining three Tests is impacted by rain. It's happened with pretty much every Ashes series in England I can recall (think 1993 was a rare exception).
I mean if that happens then it happens but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He should say something like, "We're giving it our best shot against a better team with better batsmen, better bowlers, better fielders and a better keeper. We're playing as well as we can against that opposition and giving ourselves as much chance as possible by winning the toss and having the best of the conditions across both tests, but we're still getting dicked.

And even though we couldn't win against 10 blokes here for over half the game, we stayed true to our aggressive mindset while the sun shined, knowing we've lost a combined 8/60 in the series under decent cloud cover so far, because we know our batsmen can't play a a forward defensive shot. Despite all that we will give it our best shot on Thursday."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to Aus having their best tail in quite a while as well as having 2 fresh bowlers with the 3 day break

8. Neser
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Murphy
Boland will play ahead of Neser

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven’t always been his biggest fan but happy for Lyon to have reached the 100 consecutive milestone before this injury. It’s a cool achievement and would have been galling to miss it due to the first proper injury of his career in a long long time.

Any word around the Renshaw axing? Or is it just to free him up to play county cricket?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Haven’t always been his biggest fan but happy for Lyon to have reached the 100 consecutive milestone before this injury. It’s a cool achievement and would have been galling to miss it due to the first proper injury of his career in a long long time.

Any word around the Renshaw axing? Or is it just to free him up to play county cricket?
Fielding practice I think