• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That he was allegedly giving away NSW gear was the big red flag for me, tbh, given he still does clearly play for them. I actually harboured thoughts that he might have been retiring from all cricket, but then I realised that was clearly wishful thinking on my part.
Remember, though that he'd have a stack of old NSW stuff from previous seasons, which they wouldn't be supposed to wear. Every team ends up getting a new uniform each season, so he'd still have a massive stockpile of NSW gear that he could want to get rid of.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rotation policy in Tests? Awesome...

Even ignoring the direness of that policy, why didn't they just say that to begin with? And why was he in the squad?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
You seem to think that net form equates to match performance

If that were the case, according to Nasser Hussain, Tim Bresan would be the world's best bowler

Unfortunately for the 2 Tims, the fact is that it doesnt and Warne is very clear in saying that Tremlett DOES NOT perform the same way in matches as he does in the nets (i.e. he does not do justice to his talent because of a perceived mental weakness)

Clark said the same thing as have plenty of other critics

The guy is obviously talented (and no-one disputes that) but until he actually proves that he can perform in test matches consistently, he'll continue to rate pretty low on the Respectometer
I haven't been saying that Tremlett will be number one in the world, i haven't been saying that being called the best net bowler in the world means he is the best bowler in the world. I have, however, been saying that Warne rates Tremlett, which he undoubtedly does. Saying that someone has the potential to be the best bowler in the world is rating them, so you are wrong to say Warne doesn't think he has what it takes. If he sorts out these aggression problems (which don't seem particularly bad IMO) he will be ample replacement for Broad. In fact, he'll probably be better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Greg Chappell: We have a rotation policy and Mitchell Johnson was never going to play at Adelaide.

The bizarre-ness continues.
That is either a blatant lie, or they've seriously gone absolutely mad.

Australian cricket is a joke if this is true.

Greg Chappell is a pretty big failure. Everyone that got excited when he returned to the selection/management team should be thoroughly disappointed right now.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Rotation policy in Tests? Awesome...

Even ignoring the direness of that policy, why didn't they just say that to begin with? And why was he in the squad?

This was in The Telegraph after the 1st Test

Back-to-back Tests are hard for bowlers and Australia captain Ricky Ponting said he would be assessing the physical condition of his attack closely. Although not officially stated as policy, the hosts intend to rotate their fast bowlers this series so that no one plays all five Tests, which suggests changes will be made here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Greg Chappell: We have a rotation policy and Mitchell Johnson was never going to play at Adelaide.

One suspects the former, frankly. Surely Johnson, with his lower arm action, skiddy pace, (very occasional) swing and fuller length has more going for him as a bowler on a featherbed like Adelaide than Bollinger, who seems to much prefer to bowl back of a length and trouble batsmen with his bounce?

Equally DtR's extra bounce should be more suited to the WACA.

Either they've never seen them bowl, are ****ing idiots or Chappell's pants are on fire.

howardj

International Coach

Greg Chappell is a pretty big failure. Everyone that got excited when he returned to the selection/management team should be thoroughly disappointed right now.
Yep, he was ordinary in SA, and certainly was no great shakes when he was with the Indian team.

howardj

International Coach

That's an outright lie.

It was never predetermined that Johnson was going to miss Adelaide.

If it was, then Ponting would not have fought so hard for his inclusion, as canvassed in the media last week.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, you can't go resting any front line bowlers for the an Ashes test, especially after a loss.

Australia deserves to lose the Ashes if there is a policy of resting players.

howardj

International Coach
and if Ghappell did his research, he would find that this Ashes series is no more condensed than in 2006/2007 - there was no resting of Clark, McGrath, Lee or Warne. The series back then was actually more condensed, as the 5th Test started on 2 January.

Howe_zat

Audio File
and if Ghappell did his research, he would find that this Ashes series is no more condensed than in 2006/2007 - there was no resting of Clark, McGrath, Lee or Warne. The series back then was actually more condensed, as the 5th Test started on 2 January.
Research has not been their strong point. When Beer was selected, Hilditch clearly didn't know who he was.

howardj

International Coach
Research has not been their strong point. When Beer was selected, Hilditch clearly didn't know who he was.
...or that he'd only played at his 'home ground' one or two times. :laugh:

In private enterprise, would any large organisation (with millions pouring into the coffers) accept such rank incompetence and just utter verbal rubbish that these guys have served up.

CA - the home of complacency and lack of accountability.

howardj

International Coach
And, it's not to say that England wouldn't have won anyway. They're a very steady side which is well prepared, and has a couple of very good bowlers in Anderson and Swan. But we could have enhanced our chances by getting basic calls right - like no Doherty and North right from the start of the Series. When you're struggling like Australia, it's all the more important to get such basic things right. To my mind, their selections were in realm of malpractice rather than being of a contentious nature. Contentious and arguable has been the makeup of the fast bowling battery. But Doherty, Beer and North - that was rank malpractice, as was the notion (if true) of compulsorily resting Johnson in Adelaide.

Anyway, I wonder who the umps are for Perth...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, I wonder who the umps are for Perth...
Stevie Wonder has been drafted in by CA as he "Once toured and played a gig in Perth, so it's pretty much his second home these days." When quizzed about his visual impairment, the selectors said, "We've always been ones to look past such disabilities. I mean, we picked Marcus North when he can't bat and Xavier Doherty when he can't bowl. We're an equal opportunities employer here."

When asked whether the suggestion of a recall for Bill O'Reilly was pushing things somewhat, the reply was a slightly confusing, "Death isn't quite such a drawback as it was in the old days." and the press conference closed.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chappell is going to end up ruining Australian cricket. I understand he was at the helm in the mid 80s, but Simpson and Border were the biggest architects of the revival.

It is not going to be so much through daft selections, though that will undoubtedly play a part, but his huge ego and utter incompetence in man management. The guy had problems with some of the most genial characters in Indian cricket like Tendulkar and Kumble, who have a history of pretty much getting along with anyone. These kind of statements like Johnson was always going to be rested for Adelaide are exactly the kinds of insecurity he bred into the Indian team during his tenure. Sehwag was perhaps the most high profile casualty of his times.

He also seems to back at doing what he does best - media whoring. I have never read so many interviews from an Australian selector, not even their chairman, in the past, as Chappell has given in the last 2-3 weeks. He has been an utter disaster wherever he has set foot. South Australia and India are two of the notable examples. But for those who remember, he was also the batting consultant for Australia in the 2008 tour to India. When Ponting and Hussey scored hundreds in the first test at Bangalore, he was all over the place and when the Australian batting collapsed repeatedly after that, nowhere to be seen.

He is a leech, media whore, and a completely dishonest individual. Should be dumped immediately, but won't be surprised if the weasel becomes the chairman of selectors soon.