• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Howe_zat

Audio File
Its quite possible for Australia to have one of the the most plainly-named teams in their country's history today, with some of the unlikely names thrown in there:

Watson
Hughes
Clarke
White
North
(insert wicketkeeper here)
Smith
Johnson
Harris
Clark
George

Bores me just thinking about it. :yawn:

Then again, you throw in your Khawaja's, your Katich's, your Hauritz's and Hilfenhaus' and you've got one pretty interestingly named team. As an aussie selector, I'd go down that route.
You're right. But what if:

Hughes
Hill
Haddin
Hussey (c)
Hussey
Hartley (wk)
Henriques
Hopes
Hauritz
Hastings
Hilfenhaus

Now there's a team.

TumTum

Banned
Everyone else?

Khawaja, the man without a front foot?
Dave Hussey, the guy with the worst technique ever?
Or Smith, the slogger with multiple first class hundreds?
I was just pointing out a minor flaw in Khawaja's technique. But I don't mind him replacing North.

Dave Hussey is terrible, no doubts about it, although he is still far better that Smith because he does have the FC results and has plenty of experience.

I would also add in Ferguson, who imo is the most talented middle order batsman going around in our domestic competition.

Andre

International Regular
SK Warne - Champion

Good insights from Craddock.

BTW I think Ben Dorries has been dumped by News Limited for the rest of the series - didn't write at all for Adelaide.

Will Swanton (match reports) and Craddock (analysis and commentary) have stepped in.
Cheering. Not a huge fan of Swanton, but that Dorries is ordinary, good to see him on drinks duty.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've seen Ferguson bat in an ODI for a dozen balls and I don't think he has any future in Australian Test cricket, or I do.

Either way.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Possibly, think 'equally crap' is fairer than 'worse'. If Bollinger genuinely bowled to the best of his ability and wasn't hampered by fitness issues then of course it would be strange.

If, however, there was an issue there and it could be resolved before the next test then I'd give The Rug another go.

The only certainty is that Johnson bowled absolute horse**** fully fit
(unless hurt feeling counts as an injury).
The England batsmen treated Bollinger with a contempt that I don't remember Johnson getting treated with at Brisbane. Only difference really was that Bollinger got an absolute gift of a wicket.

TumTum

Banned
I've seen Ferguson bat in an ODI for a dozen balls and I don't think he has any future in Australian Test cricket, or I do.

Either way.
Which game was that? I was the same, he looked to have a loose technique and I didn't think he was Test material.

But then I saw a few innings of his at FC level and they are delightful, he has beautiful drives, and best of all he finds the gaps and rotates strike.

Only technical issue with him is that he stays back to good length balls, and if one keeps low he's a goner. He has such a good front foot technique that I am sure it can be easily worked on.

Joao

U19 12th Man
The England batsmen treated Bollinger with a contempt that I don't remember Johnson getting treated with at Brisbane. Only difference really was that Bollinger got an absolute gift of a wicket.
Or we could pick neither, picking underdone rug or Johnson is stupid when there are at least 3 bowlers who could play ahead of them and likely do a better job.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pick Terry Alderman. He always out-psyched Graham Gooch, and I reckon he'd do the same to the pseudo-Gooch Alastair Cook.

Joao

U19 12th Man
What's your attack for Perth Joao?
Hauritz (only because you can't really pick O'Keefe since he hasn't been playing)
Harris (coz he's gun)
Copeland (coz he's young, new and has a record to die for so far)
Hilfenhaus (tell him to bowl straighter than he did at the Gabba and I reckon he'll do well)
Watson
---
and to bowl a few extra door knobs if required, Dussey (who I would pick at number 6)

I would like to pick Steve Smith at 6 but I am not sure he is that good of a batsman just yet. I'd almost pick him anyway because he is a nice package with the fielding and enthusiasm but use his bowling as a partnership breaker rather than having him sending down 10-15 overs of pies.

**EDIT**
No lefties so no footmarks for Swanneh.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Not bad

Not long now til we find out

The credibility of my sources/spies/moles is on the line here!

Julian87

State Captain
His selection isn't warranted in the slightest but I'd consider Dan Christian. Just because he's an amazing man.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was just pointing out a minor flaw in Khawaja's technique. But I don't mind him replacing North.

Dave Hussey is terrible, no doubts about it, although he is still far better that Smith because he does have the FC results and has plenty of experience.

I would also add in Ferguson, who imo is the most talented middle order batsman going around in our domestic competition.
Confused here, Khawaja and Dussey may average over 50, and Smith close to it, but it's Ferguson, the bloke averaging firmly in the mid 30s with 5 tons from 50 games that's the best? Aesthetics aren't everything, and given how strongly you were arguing about averages earlier, you'd have thought you'd pay more attention to them.