• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's a tough one for India because against Australia you should go for as much spin as possible .Like 40 overs if you can.

But the Indian quicks have been in such good form you're not going to leave them out
Leaving out Siraj would be easy call if we had Pandya available.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Except 4 test series vs Oz on the trot then that 4 test series in Eng in 2021, the one off tests don't count, & a few bottle jobs back in 2018? Beating any strong team in a series of 4/5/6 tests way is the hardest job in cricket & while winning an "ICC trophy" is nice having one every 6-18 months has massively devalued them, despite ICC bosses telling you otherwise!
ODI WC is the only ICC tournament that matters.
It is definitely bigger than any Test series AFAIC

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Maybe to you but the state of the game tells us otherwise. There's marked dip in enthusiasm for ODI's & having ICC cups every year, or two in the same year, makes them more of a commodity than a rarity. You can't tell me with a straight face that ODI's haven't gone down in popularity over here as well, 2011 was probably peak of their popularity & it isn't only down because of T20's either.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Maybe to you but the state of the game tells us otherwise. There's marked dip in enthusiasm for ODI's & having ICC cups every year, or two in the same year, makes them more of a commodity than a rarity. You can't tell me with a straight face that ODI's haven't gone down in popularity over here as well, 2011 was probably peak of their popularity & it isn't only down to T20's either.
This forum had 34K post in 2011 WC sub-forum . We have around 31K post now . And if final is not one-sided , we will touch 34K even in this sub-forum despite having 5 less knockout matches .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leaving out Siraj would be easy call if we had Pandya available.
Still doesn't give extra overs of spin. If I was India I'd pick Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar (if he was in the squad) and Kuldeep. Literally bowl 40 overs of proper spin. Could still play both Bumrah and Shami since 3 of the spinners can bat in case they get on a roll.
ODI WC is the only ICC tournament that matters.
It is definitely bigger than any Test series AFAIC
The Ashes at times has been bigger than the WC for Aus and England but other than that the 50 over World Cup really is the peak of international cricket's importance

Sunil1z

International Regular
How many people had 1Gbps broadband back then or 10Mbps in India? Forum posts have nothing to do with it.
Per match number has gone up but overall value is down, number of ODI's cut back significantly.
Agree to disagree. Even Casual fans are watching WC in my office. Huge excitement for the WC .

Bahseph

State Captain
I think for Australia to compete they are definitely going to need Warner and Head to go big and the big three pacers to be on song upfront.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think for Australia to compete they are definitely going to need Warner and Head to go big and the big three pacers to be on song upfront.
This. I think it's also critical that the groundsmen stand by their ethics and choose the pitch that good, entertaining BCCI endorsed cricket demands.

Someone make sure their families are in safe houses so Roger Binny doesn't hold them at gunpoint on Saturday and Sunday.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Still doesn't give extra overs of spin. If I was India I'd pick Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar (if he was in the squad) and Kuldeep. Literally bowl 40 overs of proper spin. Could still play both Bumrah and Shami since 3 of the spinners can bat in case they get on a roll.
I think the point is that if we had Pandya, we can potentially play him instead of SKY and then replace Siraj with Ashwin. Just a straight swap is risky with only 20 overs of pace available.

Eclipse

International Debutant
India should win but Australia has enough match-winners that it's not a foregone conclusion. They also just seem to have a nack of winning these big tournaments.

Warner, Head, Maxwell, Marsh with the bat can be very dangerous, etc.