• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
To me, Murray is another Hewitt with, if possible, less personality
dour personality aside...murray is a much, much greater player than hewitt ever was...also i think he has a very attractive game when he is firing on all cylinders and being aggressive (much more watchable at those times than djokovic) but most of the time you see him grinding it out in matches...and that's where the boredom aspect comes in...

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murray's won 3 slams yet has never been number 1.

That's got to be close to a record surely? By the time most people hit 4 or 5 you would expect them to have spent some time as the number 1?
Nadal has that record. Won 4 Slams between 2005-2008, and finally got over the line winning Wimbledon. I think he was number 2 for that entire duration.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nadal has that record. Won 4 Slams between 2005-2008, and finally got over the line winning Wimbledon. I think he was number 2 for that entire duration.
Mats Wilander has this record, won 7 titles from 1982-88, only got to #1 after winning the last one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You watched cars driving around a track 50 times and golf.
British GP was in the wet so people were running off everywhere and one of the leading contenders is an 18 yo who has only just been allowed to drive a road car

Golf in Scotland is different to virtually anywhere in the world and the courses are great

Let's face it, the only unpredictable thing that happened at Wimbledon was Djok losing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dour personality aside...murray is a much, much greater player than hewitt ever was...also i think he has a very attractive game when he is firing on all cylinders and being aggressive (much more watchable at those times than djokovic) but most of the time you see him grinding it out in matches...and that's where the boredom aspect comes in...
Hewitt is the youngest no. 1 in history and stayed there for 80 weeks

At his best, he was an incredible player but suffered from a chronic hip injury that curtailed his time at the top of the game

I personally think that the guy is a dick but to call Murray a far greater player is criminally underrating him

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hewitt is the youngest no. 1 in history and stayed there for 80 weeks

At his best, he was an incredible player but suffered from a chronic hip injury that curtailed his time at the top of the game

I personally think that the guy is a dick but to call Murray a far greater player is criminally underrating him
he was very good at his peak but he basically stepped into the vacuum created by the decline of sampras, agassi was still going strong but ageing and in any case, he was never as dominant as sampras was...federer had not taken over then, there was that gap in which a lot of good to very good players like hewitt, roddick, ferrero, kuerten et al won slams..once federer started dominating, none of them could sustain their success, hewitt and roddick became federer's bunnies and the others more or less faded away...

none of them can really compare to fantastic all-court players like federer, nadal, djokovic and murray...murray is the least accomplished of that foursome but he has still achieved way more than hewitt even at this stage and he is obviously not close to being done...hell you can make a case that stan wawrinka is better than hewitt at their respective bests...and that is a much more realistic comparison than hewitt vs murray...

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murray not playing in the Davis Cup - goodbye trophy. You have to wonder whether the organisers are trying to kill it off by playing it so close to Wimbledon. It's no wonder the top players can't be arsed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah bad scheduling. But some interesting results. Sock came back from 2 sets down to best Cilic and Rosol beat Tsonga saving match points. Great stuff.

I expected tipsarevic to beat Edmund actually, so was proven wrong there. Looks like Edmund wiped the floor with him.