• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
Like Roddick, Williams and Agassi.
roddick, williams and agassi are hardly favourites at the french whatever their seedings might indicate...their losses might be technically upsets but not shockers by any stretch of imagination....in fact davenport's current run beating even kim cljisters is a big surprise even considering the fact that she is no: 1...but then lindsey is a feisty player and one of my favourites...i hope she wins the only slam she hasn't won so far... :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wimbledon

federer is winning in halle and roddick has reached the stella artois finals for the 3rd successive time...who do you think will win wimbledon this year?

for me, it has to be one of federer, roddick, phillipoussis, hewitt, safin(if he can get comfortable enough on grass and get a good draw)....

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anil said:
federer is winning in halle and roddick has reached the stella artois finals for the 3rd successive time...who do you think will win wimbledon this year?

for me, it has to be one of federer, roddick, phillipoussis, hewitt, safin(if he can get comfortable enough on grass and get a good draw)....
Phillipousis wont even win a set is my prediction...

But im going the soft option and saying Federer, I cant see anyone beating him on grass (the surface, not the substance)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
But im going the soft option and saying Federer, I cant see anyone beating him on grass (the surface, not the substance)
everyone will have federer as their top favourite...this year though, there is a noticeable change in his public demeanour....he has assumed a regal air and has publicly displayed a lot of arrogance in his abilities....i believe the early rounds will be a test for him if he becomes overconfident & complacent...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Safin if he uses his brain.

If not Federer.
it's not just a question of safin using his brain..he also has to overcome his discomfort on grass....even so, if he has the will to win, given his exceptional talent, i would consider his chances favourable against anyone except a fully-focussed and fully-fit federer...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anil said:
it's not just a question of safin using his brain..he also has to overcome his discomfort on grass....even so, if he has the will to win, given his exceptional talent, i would consider his chances favourable against anyone except a fully-focussed and fully-fit federer...
Yes but I believe his discomfort on grass is psychological. He's too naturally talented for grass to discomfort him THAT MUCH (high emphasis, obviously every player is better on one surface than another) to lose in the early rounds. Sometimes his brain just switches off, and then he just free falls whether its grass, clay or hard court. Always the same pattern with him.

I acknowledge what you're saying, but I don't think its that big an issue. His concentration is and will always be his downfall in tennis unless he gets his head in gear. It was the same with Ivanisevic. Frustration would get to him, and despite all his natural talent he'd just lose it.

With Ivanisiveic returned he had a totally different mindset. Thing is Safin's been playing this way for so long, I don't see him changing, because he had his time off and came back the same player IMO. Great, but has the ability to throw it all away.

Simon

Federer for sure. Haas' put in a good show in the semis against Federer yesterday, losing 6-4 7-6. if he plays like that in early rounds against players he should beat he could have another crack at federer in the quarters onwards. anything can happen.
although i expect it to be a Hewitt vs Federer final.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Phillipousis will go better than people expect I reckon. He won't get close to the final, however i won't be surprised if he gets to the 3rd or 4th round. I think Hewitt's a little bit raw and won't be able to come through in the usual tough matches he gets himself into.

Federer will win this one and will probaby do so by beating Roddick in the final (that's if they're on the other side of the draw)

Simon

Wimbledon Odds

ANDRE AGASSI 67.00
MARIO ANCIC 17.00
IGOR ANDREEV 201.00
WAYNE ARTHURS 126.00
KAROL BECK 101.00
TOMAS BERDYCH 301.00
JONAS BJORKMAN 251.00
JAMES BLAKE 151.00
GUILLERMO CANAS 81.00
GUILLERMO CORIA 101.00
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO 501.00
TAYLOR DENT 67.00
ROGER FEDERER 1.55
JUAN CARLOS FERRERO 126.00
MARDY FISH 201.00
RICHARD GASQUET 67.00
GASTON GAUDIO 301.00
ROBBY GINEPRI 151.00
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN 41.00
TOMMY HAAS 101.00
VICTOR HANESCU 301.00
TIM HENMAN 17.00
LLEYTON HEWITT 13.00
DOMINIK HRBATY 301.00
JOACHIM JOHANSSON 34.00
THOMAS JOHANSSON 51.00
IVO KARLOVIC 34.00
NICOLAS KIEFER 126.00
IVAN LJUBICIC 81.00
MICHAEL LLODRA 301.00
FELICIANO LOPEZ 151.00
XAVIER MALISSE 101.00
FLORIAN MAYER 151.00
MAX MIRNYI 126.00
CARLOS MOYA 201.00
RAFAEL NADAL 21.00
DAVID NALBANDIAN 51.00
JIRI NOVAK 151.00
MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS 81.00
ALEXANDER POPP 201.00
TOMMY ROBREDO 151.00
ANDY RODDICK 6.50
GREG RUSEDSKI 101.00
MARAT SAFIN 17.00
SJENG SCHALKEN 101.00
RAINER SCHUETTLER 151.00
ROBIN SODERLING 101.00
VINCE SPADEA 401.00
PARADORN SRICHAPHAN 126.00
RADEK STEPANEK 81.00
MIKHAIL YOUZHNY 126.00

Simon

Nalbandian's form is shocking. hes lost first round in 4 of his past 5 tournaments...