• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I agree with that, but I don't think anyone ever suggested anything else.

What we were saying is on the day when he is at his best (let's say his absolute peak) he is capable of beating anyone in the game, even if that other player is playing well. He has shown he can beat Fed when he is playing well (not at his best, sure, but playing well) and the same goes for Novak and Nadal.

Obviously if those three play to their peak, they'll beat Berdych. But if they're 10% off, and Berdych is on, he can be awesome to watch.

Ftr, I'm talking about his match with Fed at Miami, not Wimbledon, where Fed wasn't amazing obviously.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Berdych is certainly very good to watch when he is on, as at Wimbledon. The problem is his movement will always hold him back from reaching the very top echelon of players and Federer in his prime and Nadal have repeatedly exposed it. Still a very good player, obviously.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree with that, but I don't think anyone ever suggested anything else.

What we were saying is on the day when he is at his best (let's say his absolute peak) he is capable of beating anyone in the game, even if that other player is playing well. He has shown he can beat Fed when he is playing well (not at his best, sure, but playing well) and the same goes for Novak and Nadal.

Obviously if those three play to their peak, they'll beat Berdych. But if they're 10% off, and Berdych is on, he can be awesome to watch.

Ftr, I'm talking about his match with Fed at Miami, not Wimbledon, where Fed wasn't amazing obviously.
i don't agree that he can beat federer when he is playing well(he took djokovic to 5 sets and held two match points and by his standards he played terrible and djokovic is easily better than berdych)...which means i didn't think feds played well in the matches in question...and you always seem to get really excited about people like nalbandian, berdych, davydenko, soderling, even roddick etc...i have never really understood how you do it...see i can't because i have seen at what level tennis can be played and once you experience that, none of those names (and a few others) can really get your adrenaline going as a tennis fan (not saying i hate them or think that they are incompetent but for me there is a distinct difference between the two)...

i can understand people getting excited about players from their country or because they are physically attractive or just naturally likable or something or getting put off because of the opposite reasons...and those are subjective feelings not entirely related to the quality of play...but in your case, it doesn't even look like that....believe me when i say i am not questioning your fan credentials or your knowledge of the game...it's just that i can't relate to some of your tastes in tennis....:)

Last edited:

vcs

i don't agree that he can beat federer when he is playing well(he took djokovic to 5 sets and held two match points and by his standards he played terrible and djokovic is easily better than berdych)...which means i didn't think feds played well in the matches in question...and you always seem to get really excited about people like nalbandian, berdych, davydenko, soderling, even roddick etc...i have never really understood how you do it...see i can't because i have seen at what level tennis can be played and once you experience that, none of those names (and a few others) can really get your adrenaline going as a tennis fan (not saying i hate them or think that they are incompetent but for me there is a distinct difference between the two)...

i can understand people getting excited about players from their country or because they are physically attractive or just naturally likable or something or getting put off because of the opposite reasons...and those are subjective feelings not entirely related to the quality of play...but in your case, it doesn't even look like that....believe me when i say i am not questioning your fan credentials or your knowledge of the game...it's just that i can't relate to some of your tastes in tennis....:)
Nothing wrong with liking these guys along with Federer, I quite like Davydenko and Nalbandian as well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with liking these guys along with Federer, I quite like Davydenko and Nalbandian as well.
Liking them and getting excited about them are two different things....and in any case, there is no right or wrong here, I just can't relate to his taste on this and he probably finds mine weird as well.....:)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, sorry Anil, I'm not a guy that only gets excited watching Federer and tapes of Sampras from the 90s... and I hardly think I'm in the minority with that. I like watching tennis.

Each to their own, you're free to not enjoy the game most of the time.

Last edited:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I love tennis more than any other sport (even cricket which is ironically only my 3rd favorite) but now that the NHL is coming back in two weeks and there's nothing besides the Shanghai masters between now and December I think I'm going to wind up fall out of trend on who wins where. To me the October-December period has always been a HUGE lull in the tours. I did watch the most recent WTA tournament that finished yesterday from somewhere in China but it was about as dull as watching my grass grow on a rainy day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like the Paris Masters because it's extremely unpredictable, but yes on the whole you're right, low point in the season.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also, Del Potro lost in his first match back to Olivier Rochus.

It's going to be a long road back for JMDP :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nadal should never lose to Garcia Lopez. Never. Don't care if it was only a 250 tournament.

Come on Rafa FFS.

benchmark00

Who gives a **** about Nadal.

Did anyone see the Jones/Manders match at the Commonwealth Games? Now that's big name tennis!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Did anyone see the Jones/Manders match at the Commonwealth Games? Now that's big name tennis!
Was actually excited at the prospect at watching some of the tennis at the Games - then I looked at the draw tonight and saw New Zealanders in both the mens and womens draws in the top eight seeds. Needless to say I'm not quite so excited now given the quality of the respective fields...