• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You don't like the Williams though, so there's not much for you.

Not sure what you want from women's tennis. If you purely dislike two of the top 5 players in the world, and I'm presuming you don't like Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Sharapova and Svetlana (as they play the type of tennis you have said don't like)... you ain't going to enjoy it.

I don't mind people's criticisms of women's tennis, so long as they aren't hypocritical and ignoring the fact that the same ones exist in plenty of men's tennis as well. Choking/mental weakness and solely relying on power exists in men's tennis too.
not talking about choking or pure power tennis...it is the sheer lack of quality...the sisters represent the only quality talent on the women's tour and they are anything but consistent...i just don't like mediocre, monotonous scrap-fests punctuated by some disgusting screeching and squealing and howling....

Hmm, interesting stat, but Federer won many Slam finals fairly easily for a 3 year period. Anil was definitely not complaining then.
sure why should i? did i ever say that longer matches make for better quality?

I think sometimes women's matches going the distance can be misleading. Venus vs. Serena Wimbledon 2008 was a better/closer battle than Safina vs. Azarenka quarter final (for example) which went to 3 sets.
agreed...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
sure why should i? did i ever say that longer matches make for better quality?
Sorry, didn't meant to suggest you did. Was sort of saying that one-sided finals don't necessarily mean a lack of interest in the tennis from people, and used you as an example, because I don't think the lack of 3 set women's finals is putting you off women's tennis, as you confirmed in your later post. :)

You know who I think can help women's tennis, if she gets her head right? Azarenka.

She has a Sharapova like screech though, so that won't help :p But her shots are fantastic. The angle she gets is amazing.

But on the whole, I do agree that women's tennis right now is of a poorer quality than a few years ago. Hopefully that improves. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, good win for him and Dlouhy. Helped that the Bryans choked in the semis, but they got past Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic who were in fine form.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, didn't meant to suggest you did. Was sort of saying that one-sided finals don't necessarily mean a lack of interest in the tennis from people, and used you as an example, because I don't think the lack of 3 set women's finals is putting you off women's tennis, as you confirmed in your later post. :)
oh ok i misunderstood...

You know who I think can help women's tennis, if she gets her head right? Azarenka.

She has a Sharapova like screech though, so that won't help :p But her shots are fantastic. The angle she gets is amazing.

But on the whole, I do agree that women's tennis right now is of a poorer quality than a few years ago. Hopefully that improves. :)
yeah azarenka seems to be the best of the young lot, if we get some real talents at the top of the game, i will probably start watching again, although mostly on mute...:)

vogue

International Vice-Captain
...actually looking forward to a really good game.... am quite neutral ...though I would like to see Federer win cos the French has alluded him till now... but wont be bothered either way really...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am hoping this match doesnt go 5 sets, feeling pretty tired already. Hoping feds can knock him off in about an hour and a half.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only 3 games in but Federer is looking more determined than ever. Dont think I've ever seen him come out and look to dominate from the first point, its probably exaggerated by the fact that Soders is letting him.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
..dont think Soderling has settled yet..making some easy errors and not serving well..