• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The only competitive Men’s matches today were always going to be the ones on the outside courts. Seeing Fed a month short of 38 not breaking sweat in the 4th Round is not great unless you’re a big fan of his.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Federer will most likely lose to Nadal in the semis. Both Djokovic and Nadal's form seems to be too good for him to have an opening.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Fed/Nadal half with Querrey and Nishikori isn’t too bad, but Djokovic being joined by Goffin, Pella and Bautista Agut is bizarre in the extreme, especially on grass - albeit the courts look slower than ever.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Federer will most likely lose to Nadal in the semis. Both Djokovic and Nadal's form seems to be too good for him to have an opening.
yeah apparently in the 4th round, between the three of them, they faced a grand total of one break point...that was federer and he saved it!

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Watching the Riske/ Williams game. Wouldn’t be surprised if Riske had a good chance here of progression to the semifinals.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Williams v Halep could be an interesting final if it happens. With Williams at about 60% of her peak and Halep's capacity for keeping the ball in play it could go similar to last years final against Kerber.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
so djokovic vs bautista-agut and nadal vs fed in the semis and another novak vs rafa final looming...

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
so djokovic vs bautista-agut and nadal vs fed in the semis and another novak vs rafa final looming...
Hopefully Federer can keep it competitive maybe he might nick a set best case scenario. I don't think it will be as easy for Rafa as it was in the French, but he should not break sweat.

Agut has beat Novak last two times they played so that might be trickier than the probable slaughter in the other semi.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Hopefully Federer can keep it competitive maybe he might nick a set best case scenario. I don't think it will be as easy for Rafa as it was in the French, but he should not break sweat.

Agut has beat Novak last two times they played so that might be trickier than the probable slaughter in the other semi.
It's Wimbledon not the French, Fed has as much chance of beating Nadal as the opposite.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i am fairly sure nadal vs federer will be more competitive than the other semi...novak will breeze through...

Xuhaib

International Coach
are these 3 genuinley the greatest tennis players we have ever seen and its just other talents ill luck that there era coincided with each other or there is a genuine lack of good talent coming through which can keep up with them?

Niall

International Coach
A fast court could easily see Nadal and Djokovic beaten by the great serve & volleyers.
Its why Aus Open is so underrated, its one of the few which has not totally been slowed down.

Looking back 2017 what a gun year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Australian_Open_–_Men's_Singles
Istomin and older Zverev smashing Murray and Djokovic off court and it looked like Dimitrov and younger Zverev were really kicking the door down. Some classic matches there.

Tomrrow, this is glorified green clay, Roger might get one set if lucky.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wimbledon is getting slower and slower each year...I don’t know why they do that though, they have already made serve and volleyers extinct...hate seeing grindfests on grass courts...

vcs

It's partly the grass slowing down, but mostly due to those two guys being freakishly good athletes with a defensive game good enough to blunt pretty much any attacker. Also, the racquet strings in the last 10 or so years make it much easier to control the ball, put huge amounts of topspin on it and hit winners from defensive positions.

I think Nadal will beat Federer comfortably.

vcs

Never been happier to be proven wrong. My heart is absolutely pounding after that last game.