• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* SriLanka in India 2022

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Pink ball tests in India are fun officially.

Just visualize the carnage if the four pronged Windies attack bowled with the pink ball in India.
Yes, and imagine what Axar-Ash-Jaddu would have done to their batters. Pink ball adds a whole new dimension to spin bowling in SC conditions. Some of the deliveries just get very slippery and the natural variations become even more difficult.

Also, I am totally on-board with KP asking for a different set of stats for pink ball cricket. It's is a totally different challenge for batters than traditional tests.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Its those tracks that are batting beauties when we bat and then become green mambas when our seamers bowl and become dustbowls when our spinners come on.
you probably don’t realise pitches of variable bounce and lateral movement makes batting difficult against all kinds of bowling. It’s funny but this pitch seems to have changed more on cw than at the ground. Apparently it was as a monster when India began batting on it to nothing wrong with it - perfectly good pitch now that India are comfortably in front. Hmmm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
you probably don’t realise pitches of variable bounce and lateral movement makes batting difficult against all kinds of bowling. It’s funny but this pitch seems to have changed more on cw than at the ground. Apparently it was as a monster when India began batting on it to nothing wrong with it - perfectly good pitch now that India are comfortably in front. Hmmm.
It's always been hard to bat on, as I said originally. It made me really impressed by Iyer's innings.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did you just ‘no u’ the true master of the ‘no u’

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure how you read this and concluded that is what I said... For reference, this is what I said about the pitch. The lateral movement is more and at apparently quicker pace under lights, from what I have seen. Just lateral movement on a slow surface can be negotiable. Its almost as if you decided I must have said something instead of actually reading what was posted. Hmmmm.

I think the first session yesterday was the best one for spinners.. and hardest to face them for batters. The second session was still very much loaded towards the spinners and I think apart from a few overs of early swing, nothing from the seamers looked much threatening until India bowled. When India bowled, pitch had settled down enough that spin was not as much of a problem but the ball did seem to do a bit more under lights for Bumrah and Shami and their extra pace obviously added to the challenge.

Sorry, had to no u there for @Daemon :p

It's always been hard to bat on, as I said originally. It made me really impressed by Iyer's innings.
IT was but I think it does more for the seamers under lights than it does in the first two sessions. If anything, I am trying to say India had only one type of issue to face when they batted but Sri Lanka unfortunately have had to face both threats when they batted.

the big bambino

International Captain
I am not sure how you read this and concluded that is what I said... For reference, this is what I said about the pitch. The lateral movement is more and at apparently quicker pace under lights, from what I have seen. Just lateral movement on a slow surface can be negotiable. Its almost as if you decided I must have said something instead of actually reading what was posted. Hmmm
No no, don't get me wrong. I'm overjoyed at a wonderful story of redemption. At the beginning of the match the pitch appeared to be slandered so excuses could be provisioned against the possibility of an embarrassing collapse. When that didn't happen and as the game moved on, a miraculous thing happened: The pitch, influenced by parochialism, jingoism and bullspin reformed into just the sort of thing that should host test matches. I am pleased, as we all are, by stories of rehabilitation and bad boys made good.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No no, don't get me wrong. I'm overjoyed at a wonderful story of redemption. At the beginning of the match the pitch appeared to be slandered so excuses could be provisioned against the possibility of an embarrassing collapse. When that didn't happen and as the game moved on, a miraculous thing happened: The pitch, influenced by parochialism, jingoism and bullspin reformed into just the sort of thing that should host test matches. I am pleased, as we all are, by stories of rehabilitation and bad boys made good.
Ok

cnerd123

likes this
the pitch still isn't great but Iyer showed getting runs on it is possible. Definitely prefer this to the tarmac Pakistan have laid out.

I find it really funny that the Kohli is the only batter to have gotten out to a ball that had shot through low. Twice.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
the pitch still isn't great but Iyer showed getting runs on it is possible. Definitely prefer this to the tarmac Pakistan have laid out.

I find it really funny that the Kohli is the only batter to have gotten out to a ball that had shot through low. Twice.
To me, the first innings was definitely the pitch. I think even Bradman would have gotten out to that one. But the second innings, it was his mistake as much as anything else. He should have learned to press forward inspite of the trajectory. That is basically not learning from what was happening so far in the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who even said this lol, the pitch sucks balls

as for the bolded, it's sri lanka, there was never any threat of anything even if we collapsed for 50 all out.

Xix2565

International Debutant
For some reason I never felt like a collapse was on really. 252 was lower than I expected but I was expecting runs from our second top order after Kohli.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
The pink ball of a nice concept. There's lots for faster bowlers in the night, if playing in India there's enough for spinners and the ball seems to travel quicker under lights due to dew so there's value for shots.

Besides the last two nights I watched there was pretty good attendance. Not a bad turn out today either. Why can't they just schedule 2 or 3 game series rather than once a year?

We haven't played pink ball cricket at all at home since vs England free years ago which from memory we won by an inning.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, not liking what we have seen from Ashwin since the 2nd test in RSA. He seems to have gone back to the guy trying 3 or 4 different balls every over. Dunno if he has concerns about his fitness to bowl a long spell or something, but it is the one aspect that seemed to change how he bowled in SENA a lot, the ability to bowl long and bowl dry without trying too much.

Hopefully it has not deserted him forever and he can go back to it soon when needed.