• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official*** Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh,Mar 2024 #NaaginDerby

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Silver Silva

International Debutant
yeah but that guy at #1 was a coward who sent bowlers before him coz it was tough batting out there.
Actually my respect for Bradman went even higher with this move 🙌..This is the definition of work smart not hard.

When things get difficult it's not always about trying to be a hero, sometimes pragmatic thinking is the way to go and look Australia won the match by a massive 365 runs, so the end justified the means.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually my respect for Bradman went even higher with this move 🙌..This is the definition of work smart not hard.

When things get difficult it's not always about trying to be a hero, sometimes pragmatic thinking is the way to go and look Australia won the match by a massive 365 runs, so the end justified the means.
He was a

C O W A R D
O
W
A
R
D

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember several times when you have taunted a batsman of cowardice for sending a nightwatchman in. Hence said that.
Yeah there are times when a nightwatchman is stupid, like if a side is a mile on top in a game and a bloke wants one instead of going out there to keep momentum going. But there's also plenty of times when they make a lot of sense.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
All of these guys hit the gym and work out, and obviously do some bowling, but they aren't consistent enough and dedicated to changing their lifestyle completely for sport. Genetics is also a factor, of course. We don't always have the same musculature and build as those from some other countries.
None of these are excuses for poor fitness. 25 years back, the situation was even dire. But we had fitness gods like Jayasuriya, Vaas and Chandana, who started the day with a 12km run, and then field, bowl or bat at low intensity setting for prolonged periods and end up with a dip in the pool or sea. Murali, Dharmasena, Kalpage and Kulasekara were all very fit players. To see the current attitude of some players even after seeing how these players of yesteryear was dedicated, is pathetic.

Socerer 01

International Captain
None of these are excuses for poor fitness. 25 years back, the situation was even dire. But we had fitness gods like Jayasuriya, Vaas and Chandana, who started the day with a 12km run, and then field, bowl or bat at low intensity setting for prolonged periods and end up with a dip in the pool or sea. Murali, Dharmasena, Kalpage and Kulasekara were all very fit players. To see the current attitude of some players even after seeing how these players of yesteryear was dedicated, is pathetic.
this reads like good copypasta material

Silver Silva

International Debutant
i think the night watchman is unequivocally a coward move (although it does sound cool)
I think that is just one way at looking at it, the other way is seeing it as a strategy, cricket is a team sport, resources must be managed for the good of the team and if that means giving your best resources the best chance of succeeding then sometimes a night watchman is worth it ..

For example let's say you dismiss a team with 5 overs left in the day, you lose 2 overs for the change over so your opening batsmen face 3 overs, what can possibly be gained by both your opening batsmen facing 3 overs ?

You can't eat into the lead your opposition made, the new ball bowlers are fresh and go 100 percent due to their only being 3 overs left, why not use a lesser batsman as a pawn ? If you lose a pawn in chess it's not the end of the world , same thinking with nightwatchman..

I know the people who don't like nightwatchman say that if your best batsmen can't handle it what chance does your nightwatchman have ?

Well it all depends on the circumstances like the example mentioned above, it's not a question of trust it's trying to be pragmatic especially if the situation heavily favors the bowling side, you don't need to stick to your original game plan no matter what, sometimes a tactical move can make all the difference.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that is just one way at looking at it, the other way is seeing it as a strategy, cricket is a team sport, resources must be managed for the good of the team and if that means giving your best resources the best chance of succeeding then sometimes a night watchman is worth it ..

For example let's say you dismiss a team with 5 overs left in the day, you lose 2 overs for the change over so your opening batsmen face 3 overs, what can possibly be gained by both your opening batsmen facing 3 overs ?

You can't eat into the lead your opposition made, the new ball bowlers are fresh and go 100 percent due to their only being 3 overs left, why not use a lesser batsman as a pawn ? If you lose a pawn in chess it's not the end of the world , same thinking with nightwatchman..

I know the people who don't like nightwatchman say that if your best batsmen can't handle it what chance does your nightwatchman have ?
Problem is using nightwatchmen doesn't lead to bigger innings. It's just assuaging batsmen's egos and trying to head off the usual stupid criticism when a wicket falls close to stumps.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Problem is using nightwatchmen doesn't lead to bigger innings. It's just assuaging batsmen's egos and trying to head off the usual stupid criticism when a wicket falls close to stumps.
It can if batting conditions get easier the next day and your better batsmen are available to exploit it.

Shady Slim

International Coach

Well it all depends on the circumstances like the example mentioned above, it's not a question of trust it's trying to be pragmatic especially if the situation heavily favors the bowling side, you don't need to stick to your original game plan no matter what, sometimes a tactical move can make all the difference.
i find even when the nightwatchman does the job that can be a problem, because if they survive the night and the set batsman gets out the next day, leaving you with a fresh batsman playing with a set tailender, it just puts your whole synergy off.