• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I can see them improving a lot over the next few years (coming off a low base to be sure).

I like Taylor as a potential bowler as well as Fidel and Powell.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mendis has an unbelievable record. 111 FC @ 14.54 and 40 List A @ 11.57 Have Sri Lanka found another Murali or is it all just an unexplainable good patch. Wasn't able to see him bowl so it would be great for someone to give a good summary of what he does.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Taylor has been fast improving and has bowled well in the last year or so. Average kinda spolied by his start I'm sure. Powell won't make in Tests. Jaggernauth looks the goods as a spinner if he ever gets played. Edwards is a potential wicket taker. A third pacer is difficult to pinpoint but I guess Sammy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What has happened to Sri Lanka? Not long ago at the world cup they were clearly the No.2 team in the world and doing pretty well in tests too. Since then all down hill. Their team doesn't seem much different from then either.

Well done to the Windies though - everyone wants them to improve after a few years of not-so-grea performances and it sounds like there are good signs, even if it is the established players putting in the match-winning performances rather than the new guys.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The West Indies have improved a fair bit even just over the last two months. Yeah its the big players like Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan that are finishing off matches for them. But it is the improved contributions of others that are allowing them to get in positions to win games. Before these guys were always performing this well, it just the had little back up.

Taylor has been the big improver lately. In the last couple season there were plenty of games where there batsmen stepped up, but he bowlers went missing. But he is leading the pace attack pretty well and they seem to have a real wicketer in him and consistent one ATM.

Still a fair way to go to reach reduce the gap, as Sri Lanka are playing quite poor. And when South Africa turned it up over there they went missing a bit.

Sri Lanka are at there best like West Indies are now when there are not relying on their big players. The difference between the performances in World Cup and now. Was the performances of Tharanga, Silva, Jayawardene, Dilhara and Malinga and significant contributions they made. As soon as these guys start underperforming then team rarely plays well. Unless off course you have an exceptionally performance by Sangakkara, Jayasuriya, Murali or Vaas. As good Sangakkara and Murali are they aren't going to perform every match and unless other guys step up they wont win too many matches.

There quite a few players in the squad and around the domestic scene that can play at the level required to get us back there. But I think we just need to patient. There has been a lot retirements and few guys nearing the end of their careers. A lot of them haven't been big names, but they gave us depth and were good to very good contributers. The nature of Sri Lanka cricket means it will take time for thoughs guys to be replaced, even in terms of depth.

The issue is the loss of Moody and lack of impact of Bayliss. But he needs time to understand how to manage Sri Lanka players. Both Moody and even Watmore didn't have success straight away and both were quite poor actually.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ooh, can someone please elaborate on Mendis? Why the fuss?
Essentially a slow medium bowler, but spins it. Good accuracy, good flight and every delivery in the book. Made Sarwan look an amateur and Chris Gayle fell over a few times trying to sweep him. IIRC he started with a rank long hop that Sarwan hit for a single, but I don't remember too many other loose balls after that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Have a look at the records of their bowlers; all average over 35 for their Test wickets and have less than impressive strike-rates.
In fairness Jerome Taylor's record is getting better pretty steadily, Powell is clearly not up to it, and Edwards has played the large majority of his FC cricket at Test level. I'd be interested in how Edwards goes in County Cricket this year.

Lostman

State Captain
Hope Mendis lasts long. Could be the start of a really interesting drinking game. :laugh:
Watch the game with a few shot glasses and yell out off spin, leg spin, doosra, googly, in swinger/out swinger before the ball pitches.

P.S only in 20/20:ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I only watched the last two overs, glory-watcher that I am.
Just the last three balls myself. :cool:

Was flicking around after watching My Name Is Earl & saw Live International Cricket was on Sky Sports 2 so gave it a go. Glad I did. Never seen someone hit a six off the last ball to win before.

WI competitive in SA, now levelling a test series v SL after being one down.

Long way to go, but it seems like some promising signs, what do you fellas reckon?
As you say, early days, but I reckon the the green shoots are tentatively sprouting. Hopefully at worst they've bottomed out now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Possibly Jeetan Patel?

I only watched the last two overs, glory-watcher that I am.

Missed watching Mendis, looks like I might have missed something special :(
Missed the whole bloody game........ And the highlights... :(

Hoping to catch tonight's game though..... Wanna check out how good this Mendis guy is......

Mr Mxyzptlk

First impression of Udawatte - tries to be Jayasuriya, but doesn't look to be anywhere near as good. That said, Jayasuriya wasn't a very good Jayasuriya when he first started out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Does anybody know what the weather is like there? Any chance of a finish tonight?
Very unlikely. They're still clearing water off the covers (with a drizzle) and they'd have to start in less than an hour to get a 20-over Windies run chase.