• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

shaka

International Regular
Fleming hopefully can bat, i think he should be fine though. Another drop catch, this time at second slip.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
dinu23 said:
can any NZ fan tell me who are the promising future spinners in NZ?

Patel...his deathbowling is just uncanny

he will be the next NZ ODI spinner imho without a doubt,..

i rate him higher than wiseman...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Malenga was disappointing this evening. He hardly got anything on line.

I wasn't suprised Sri lanka only managed over 200. I said last week the Napier pitch was tailor-made for Sri lanka's batting line up. I thought they would struggle more on a pitch that had more bounce and seam.

Franklin was very disappointing today. I don't know whats up with his no-ball problem? Maybe they will have to turn to an electric shock for a no-ball when he's practising. Mills bowled without luck but doesn't look too dangerous at test level.

Will make a big difference when NZ get the likes of Bond, Oram and even Styris back.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
zinzan12 said:
Add Butler and Tuffey (in form) to that list
Why Butler? He's not a wicket-taker, other than in one innings against Pakistan. No form in FC just prior to injury, and if Bond plays there is no need at all for him. I'd prefer to give one of the fringe, form bowlers a chance ahead of either of Butler and Tuffey (at present).

With Yovich and Aldridge bowling well, Butler would struggle to get in the ND team.

psxpro

Banned
Great performance on day 1 from nz, although we should have got them for 150-180 i feel
Well bowled Martin, Finally had some luck, I was beggining to wonder if he was a test class bowler but Now i definetly think he is good enough.

Good batting from cumming and james marshall as well. Almost 5 runs an over.

Srilanka 211 all out. Samerewera- 73.
Chris Martin 54/6
Astle 35/3

NZ
52/0

There should be a result in this match if there is no rain interruptions.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will Scarlet said:
Why Butler? He's not a wicket-taker, other than in one innings against Pakistan. No form in FC just prior to injury, and if Bond plays there is no need at all for him. I'd prefer to give one of the fringer, form bowlers a chance ahead of either of Butler and Tuffey (at present).

With Yovich and Aldridge bowling well, Butler would struggle to get in the ND team.

I've seen other more than handy spells from Butler in both test and ODI's in the last couple of years. Staying in one piece seems his biggest challenge

psxpro

Banned
Here's my NZ Starting line up if everyone was fit

Cumming
J.Marshall
H.Marshall
S.Fleming
N.Astle
S.Styris (I really like lou vincent as well but Styris is still ahead for me)
J.Oram
B.Mccullum
D.Vettori
S.Bond
C.Martin

12th man- L.Vincent

I wish we had this team to face Southafrica.
Great depth in batting, good bowling attack. Good fielding unit.

I had Franklin ahead of martin before this but decided that martin could be more valuable as he has the habit of taking big wicket hauls and its just a matter of getting that early wicket then he really gets his rhythm.
He would be much better with bond at the other end as well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Better cricket from NZ today. Martin has been bowling well, but its still concerning that there's inconsistency with the bowlers...Franklin bowling 11 overs for 50 runs isn't very good at all.

The foundations are in place, the key now is whether NZ can finish the Sri Lankans.

amiller

Cricket Spectator
This is what annoys me about Chris Martin. At times he goes through patches of horrible inconsistency (take the recent Australian series for example, 2 wickets at 200 or something like that), and then today he produces a ripper of a performance.. Must be rather irritating for the selectors.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
What? Is this only my thread now? :D
Sorry Mate, very busy at work this afternoon . Unable to even touch the damn PC for a breather to even read the posts !! :D :D

I know what the one-eyed kiwis are thinking (and you know who they are, Mate- certainly not you :p ) - that I have bolted off when SL not doing too well. But honestly I was busy at work.

Anyway Congratulations to NZ . Brilliant bowling by Martin. Answered all his critics.

To me NZ has already seized the initiative in this Test. SL have a real uphill battle to save this.

I would not be surprised if this Test finishes by Day 3 or 4. (particularly if NZ build a solid lead )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
Malenga should be a real handful on this deck
Unfortunately not. But I am also puzzled by Atapattu's stupid captaincy !! :@

He removes the guy after 2 overs and gives the ball to Maharoof (who is a crap performer in Tests so far) and everyone assumed it was because he wants to change him to the down wind end at the Basin reserve, No - but the dumb guy keeps him till the Umps are about to go away for bad light and then brings him just before they go off for light !! :wacko:

SL, IMO , needed the extra seamer rather than the extra batsmen . And I had always said that and that unfortunately is going to come True !! These guys are not capable of using favourable conditions even if it was handed on a plate . But then among the Kiwi pacemen, everyone except Martin failed to get wickets although dropped catches contributed to it, no doubt.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Where is Chaminda BTW? Wanted to ask him about Kalavitigoda's debut , since he was clamouring for this guy to be included in this Test ahead of another seamer ? :D

I wonder if he's satisfied with this fella's major contribution on debut so far (that too after kiwis had kindly spilled a few catches to give him a go ) :D ? :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamie How's catch pretty much backs up what they've been saying out of New Plymouth, he's not just a promising opener..he's also a very fine fielder.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Bruce Martin will be selected ahead of Patel if they decide to drop Wiseman as back-up spinner.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Politics aside, If NZ decide to go to Zimbo, do you think the Team to Zim should give How,Fulton, Papps ,O'Brian , Butler and co. a chance to do what they can ?

psxpro

Banned
Tim said:
I think Bruce Martin will be selected ahead of Patel if they decide to drop Wiseman as back-up spinner.

I think thats true as most people only see Jeetan patel as a one day spinner for now. From what I have seen he could be a very good back up odi spinner, maybe even solve some of our bowling at the death problems.

I am far from relaxed that we are going to win this. We have stuffed up too many test matches in the past year for me to get overconfident.
There's also the unpredictable weather.
We will still have to bat and especially bowl well in the 2nd innings to win this match.

Btw why was the word Cl a ss cencored???